shortest time I've ever been with a site

• deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Been with 888.com for a month now and it's been hellish. Feel that it's even hurt my game and certainly f'ked up my mindset when it comes to playing.

Thought I'd give it one last chance by sticking it out and playing 10 $5 SnGs in a row (3 tables at a time) and see how it treats me. So many suck outs I didn't bother counting. Certainly not taken down by just bad beats but the chances of me winning a flip were probably about 1-in-6. Am only down about $10 from that session - have done worse but can't take no more. After one month of play there I have decided to cash out before the damage to my roll becomes more severe and I end up hating the game. Possibly go back to Pokerstars as I remember their choice of games was much better. Biggest SnG in 888 seems to be 18 man.

Their bonus system seems really good but what's the point of sticking around if their constant state of negative variance cripples my BR? As someone who loves SnG's (a little less now tho) the choice there is piss poor.

Might take a break from poker for the rest of the week and buy into a new site on the weekend.

Another reason I joined was to access the strategy resources on this site but that hasn't happened.
  • 7 replies
    • Doubleup12
      Doubleup12
      Bronze
      Well im not sure its wise to blame the variance on the poker room, perhaps because there are quite alot of fish on 888 the beats seem much worse when you lose AK vs K2 etc.
      Anyways dont get too disheartened, im playing the 5 dollar nitros atm and havent cashed in over 28 games which isnt great but staying positive and making sure to always evaluate your play is key i think.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Doubleup12
      Well im not sure its wise to blame the variance on the poker room, perhaps because there are quite alot of fish on 888 the beats seem much worse when you lose AK vs K2 etc.
      Anyways dont get too disheartened, im playing the 5 dollar nitros atm and havent cashed in over 28 games which isnt great but staying positive and making sure to always evaluate your play is key i think.
      This!

Samples are the key to any game and if you don't have a decent sample then it's impossible to come to any conclusions.

I've won 15/15 SNGs and didn't cash in stretches just as long. 100 games will tell you very little, 1k games will tell you more, 2-5k games will give you the right picture of how you are playing and progressing.

It doesn't matter what Poker Room you play at, variance is gonna be there :)

Best regards,
      Gary
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Seems you're right. Variance follows and I certainly do have to put in more volume. Wanting to do so when you're getting your butt handed to is no kind of fun tho, and what's the point if it's not fun?? Started playing at Pokerstars; 3 SnGs in and still being treated like a prostitute :) . Have to learn more about variance as I've yet to see the "run good" side of it. "Run is as mathematically predictable" is something I have been blessed to see...guess that's the best you can really hope for. Had fun tho!
      Decided to move down in stakes as Pokerstars doesn't seem to have any $5 games (which I've become comfortable with) and have been playing their $3.5 SnGs. Like the software better and the choice can't be beaten. Am tired of moving my roll around so will stay put. Variance be damned! Just have to find a way to improve my game without the aid of software (neither Elephant or Poker Tracker seem to work for me) or this site's strategy guides (forgot to enter your code when I bought in).
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by deezer79
      Seems you're right. Variance follows and I certainly do have to put in more volume. Wanting to do so when you're getting your butt handed to is no kind of fun tho, and what's the point if it's not fun?? Started playing at Pokerstars; 3 SnGs in and still being treated like a prostitute :) . Have to learn more about variance as I've yet to see the "run good" side of it. "Run is as mathematically predictable" is something I have been blessed to see...guess that's the best you can really hope for. Had fun tho!
      Decided to move down in stakes as Pokerstars doesn't seem to have any $5 games (which I've become comfortable with) and have been playing their $3.5 SnGs. Like the software better and the choice can't be beaten. Am tired of moving my roll around so will stay put. Variance be damned! Just have to find a way to improve my game without the aid of software (neither Elephant or Poker Tracker seem to work for me) or this site's strategy guides (forgot to enter your code when I bought in).
      Hey again,

I'm afraid it doesn't matter where you go, variance is still going to be there. As I've said above samples are the most important thing. If you are playing well enough to beat the games then 5 games won't show this.

Short term: Luck trumps skill
      Long term: Skill trumps luck

You will see this as you progess as a player :) I, like many others have learned these lessons in the past.

The next time you are joining another site why not use of our bonus codes. Our strategy articles, videos, coachings are so important to help you develop the skills and knowledge required to beat the games.

If you need any assistance, just shout us :)

Have a great weekend!

Kind regards,
      Gary
    • oblitron
      oblitron
      Bronze
      Another reason I joined was to access the strategy resources on this site but that hasn't happened.
      You may want to clarify with PokerStrategy staff why that hasn't happened, so that your account on the next poker site you move to will actually be tracked and you can get access to articles, coaching, videos etc. Did you enter your 888 username correctly on this page? You'd be surprised how many people forget to do that.
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      yup, did everything i should have at 888.com and email support for help as to why the code didn't activate - no response. when I rejoined Pokerstars I had the opportunity to put in a code but just skipped my mind. shame as i was looking forward to using this site for something more than forums.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      yup, did everything i should have at 888.com and email support for help as to why the code didn't activate - no response. when I rejoined Pokerstars I had the opportunity to put in a code but just skipped my mind. shame as i was looking forward to using this site for something more than forums.
      Hello deezer,

You indeed missed to complete some things we've asked you to do so, for example ID check. Please read this ticket and follow the instructions :) simples.

You also asked for your free $50 at Poker770, is that correct please?

Ingrid