This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

ilovemagic: i love the game.

• ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      alright man, i will heed your advice to not go into your blog until i have a couple hours to spare. (trust me it will happen one day :P )

im pretty sure you know what im all about now. my blog is about my struggles with my ego, getting mad when a so called bad player hits their 2 outer or someone outplays me, going on tilt and losing all my money.

I am ultra competitive and plan on making a living playing poker.
      I make no bones about this anymore. It's just in my blood. It's my dream and I need to do it or I just won't be happy in life knowing I gave up on something I love so dearly. I have a passion for every aspect of this game on and off the table. Now, I just plan on continuing to improve on game theory and math, while approaching each hand with a calm and collected attitude. I know I will go nowhere if I don't get over my tilt issue though. That is something that really can't be taught, I think. You just have to become more and more mentally tough by experiencing and overcoming negative emotion for yourself. No one can teach you to stay calm when shit hits the fan.

I am looking to connect with a few people, playing the same limits as me as I go on this journey. I want to have a connected blog, not just people responding to my blog, but me being active in other people's blogs as well. I want to have some people who love the game as much as I do to invite to watch me play the final table of a major tourney one day.

i g2g anyways ...ttyl man
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      removed pic for privacy
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ilovemagic

this is me, Andrew, my Gf kayla, and my baby jace! hes 1 yr old now.
      had to edit the pic because of the douchbag who took the picture had her sig on the bottom right corner. Shes a great photographer, horrible friend. We dont speak anymore and i wouldnt reccomend her to anyone because of what she did to us (me and kayla).
      cute cute cute :)
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      I'm starting to realize the more footwork I put into analyzing...the "luckier" I seem to get :P

todays hands and +EV +++EV lol

• ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze

this song reminds me of poker and how long of a haul its going to be and how I sometimes feel like my logical thinking abandons me when I go on tilt, and how I forgive my logical thinking for abandoning me eventually, get back on the horse and just keep riding. I dont know where it will take me, but I have a feeling its somewhere with free drinks and hot sun :) It also mentions swimming in a pool full of sharks :P how cool is that?

credit Badgerer for posting this amazingly funny vid!

as i was lurking the forums i came across his blog i think?

hahahhahahahaha omfg this is THE FUNNIEST POKER video of all time ive ever seen..anyone got any more?? lol ROFL I VE not laughed like this in a looooong time
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      I'm starting to realize the more footwork I put into analyzing...the "luckier" I seem to get :P

todays hands and +EV +++EV lol

niceeee Graph :D

Im up to date with your blog :)
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      ty :) I know I can do this more often if I stay on track ! I have 2 black poker chips that keep me company while i play now. They represent 100BB. They sit in my hands, wherever. When I lose either 1 or 2 stacks in a row, the chips get placed to my right. If both of them get placed to my right I turn my computer off without even exiting the pokerstars client for immediate session closure. This ensures I will train my brain to not keep playing while on tilt.

Why such a low stop-loss andrew ? you may ask.

Because on NL2, if I lose 2 stacks im pretty well steaming anyways, and if im not i will be soon, so its safer to just end it. My best poker dont include losing more then a stack or 2 at any point usually during the session. If I do and keep playing I dont think I have ever really proved that I can safely recover and play my A game. Its good to realize this before it was too late. I was starting to give up a few mths back but now im in the groove again :)

I am pretty caught up on ur blog too my man. Just havent read the whole inside of it, but im pretty sure I will eventually :P just keep me up to date and I will keep u up to date :) I love what your doing :)

Magic
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      ty :) I know I can do this more often if I stay on track ! I have 2 black poker chips that keep me company while i play now. They represent 100BB. They sit in my hands, wherever. When I lose either 1 or 2 stacks in a row, the chips get placed to my right. If both of them get placed to my right I turn my computer off without even exiting the pokerstars client for immediate session closure. This ensures I will train my brain to not keep playing while on tilt.

Why such a low stop-loss andrew ? you may ask.

Because on NL2, if I lose 2 stacks im pretty well steaming anyways, and if im not i will be soon, so its safer to just end it. My best poker dont include losing more then a stack or 2 at any point usually during the session. If I do and keep playing I dont think I have ever really proved that I can safely recover and play my A game. Its good to realize this before it was too late. I was starting to give up a few mths back but now im in the groove again :)

I am pretty caught up on ur blog too my man. Just havent read the whole inside of it, but im pretty sure I will eventually :P just keep me up to date and I will keep u up to date :) I love what your doing :)

Magic
      yes losing two buyins gets me steaming too, no matter what limit I play, the poker chips are a really great idea. I have noticed with my play that if I get sucked out and lose a buyin, this can sometimes tilt me into losing the second buyin. But if i'm playing well and dont let it bother me, I know deep down that at the micros someone will hand me back the buyin later on in the session.
      keep up the good work
      I watched a poker vid today and it mentions getting a small group of players(no more than 5) playing around the same limits to form a group to support each other. ie. posting in each others blogs etc so will be sticking around your blog and trying to read and post at least once a day. :)
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      yeah man I love that idea ! Thats pretty much what I've been trying to do this whole time. Why limit it to 5 though ? I think if theres a few more then 5 it would be not really a big deal. But we definately dont want to water down our support group either and let bozos come and fool around lol..

Just a few months ago I was a part of a really big tech-ing and testing group on facebook when I was into Magic: The Gathering. We had a lot of people in the actual group, but I was always talking to the most serious people in the group who had the same passion as I for the game. I made a lifelong bro in that group who I talk to even still after getting out of the game. It was successful to say the least. It improved my game beyond people who had been playing for years. So I love the idea of small discussion and support groups!

As of support right now I have you, Veriz(this will my my main support, he is a sick poker mind, and knows how to clearly beat the micros), Hasenbraten, and Grummeler(great at delving into the marginal situations and analysing them. Also has a great angle on those situations most would not think of on their own). I am also chatting with cpers, but I'm not exactly sure he is very developed at even the basic knowledge of the game yet. I dont care about that half as much as I care about a general willingness to learn and grow. That's who I am looking for in a poker support partner right now. You seem to have just what it takes roo. So what are you wanting to do from this point?

I think posting in each others blog most days is a great idea! I cant promise everyday, but if I'm on here half as much as I was on the magic group, it will be daily..sometimes it will be my whole life, other days I want nothing to do with it because of a wedding, vacation, family function..or whatever.

on another note, does anyone know what the procedure is for safely protecting your password from being hacked on poker clients and hotmail/ other email accounts? I need to know this before my bankroll gets bigger and I start to worry about this stuff?
      g2g brb!! lol
    • ClimaxingWalrus
      ClimaxingWalrus
      Bronze
      :tongue: LOL thank you for posting that vid. Made my day, gl at the tables.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      no worries bud! it made my day too! i was literally on the floor laughing so hard i was afraid i was gonna scare my son! but he started laughing at me laughing so it was all good :P

just played a hour session tonight. couldnt get too many hands in due to work in the morning. fish were biting good. I hope this continues :) . I finally got my bankroll out of variance/danger range(I've been low on $ so ive been min depositing on stars and this is the one I feel is going to take me there.), now its just about staying off tilt, and continuing to play well. Got the roll up to $36 from $20 in 2 days and 1k hands :)
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      So what are you wanting to do from this point?

well to be honest i'm not one hundred percent sure, but i was thinking maybe along the lines of asking each other questions and posting hands,watching the same vids or recommending vids, maybe sweat sessions too, what do you think have you any Ideas that may help?

Here are a few questions, that I would like to start with;

1) Do you use the pokerstrategy starting hand chart?
      2) When do you deviate from this chart or the chart your using?
      3) Are you finding spots to pick up dead monies from the tables and which of these spots are you finding most profitable?
      4) Bet sizing on the turn and river with weak hands?
      5) bet sizing on the turn and river with tptk hands
      6) can you put a player on a range? if so what has helped you to do this the most?
      7) table selection and what it means to you?
      8) isolating a fish and what range do you tend to use ?

will answer a few myself to so you can see where i'm at too;

1) I'm using the leakbuster fullring tight starting hand chart for open raising when I first sit down at the table and then begin to loosen up my range as I spot looser/tighter players after few orbits. I'm doing this to try to keep my hand ranges more dynamic and adaptable to different table conditions. I'm playing 6 max as i like playing one table at a time and FR can get a bit boring with only one table running.
      2) as above
      3) tight nits in the blinds and calling players who c-bet and check/fold the turn a lot.
      4) This is deffo one of my leaks and needs more work!!
      5) As above this has also been a very expensive leak in the past, I'm trying to address this issue by folding more often to reraises and getting good reads on villians post flop betting strategies.
      6) another weak spot of mine, i'm currently trying to get more reads on players and take notes at everyhand that goes to show down this has helped a lot. Also going to spend more time going through hands with hem replayer and have Equilab running at same time to help to define ranges.( this is this weeks goal for me)
      7)I'm starting to see this much better now and after picking a loose looking table from the lobby I then sit in with a tight range until I can work out who I have a bigger edge on and how I can make money from them, if its difficult to get my money in then I reselect another table.
      8) i tend to use the Rol charts from my days as an MSSer, so could do with more info on this skill.

phewwwww what an epic load of typing lol :)

Roo
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper
      So what are you wanting to do from this point?

well to be honest i'm not one hundred percent sure, but i was thinking maybe along the lines of asking each other questions and posting hands,watching the same vids or recommending vids, maybe sweat sessions too, what do you think have you any Ideas that may help?

Here are a few questions, that I would like to start with;

1) Do you use the pokerstrategy starting hand chart?
      2) When do you deviate from this chart or the chart your using?
      3) Are you finding spots to pick up dead monies from the tables and which of these spots are you finding most profitable?
      4) Bet sizing on the turn and river with weak hands?
      5) bet sizing on the turn and river with tptk hands
      6) can you put a player on a range? if so what has helped you to do this the most?
      7) table selection and what it means to you?

8) isolating a fish and what range do you tend to use ?

will answer a few myself to so you can see where i'm at too;

1) I'm using the leakbuster fullring tight starting hand chart for open raising when I first sit down at the table and then begin to loosen up my range as I spot looser/tighter players after few orbits. I'm doing this to try to keep my hand ranges more dynamic and adaptable to different table conditions. I'm playing 6 max as i like playing one table at a time and FR can get a bit boring with only one table running.
      2) as above
      3) tight nits in the blinds and calling players who c-bet and check/fold the turn a lot.
      4) This is deffo one of my leaks and needs more work!!
      5) As above this has also been a very expensive leak in the past, I'm trying to address this issue by folding more often to reraises and getting good reads on villians post flop betting strategies.
      6) another weak spot of mine, i'm currently trying to get more reads on players and take notes at everyhand that goes to show down this has helped a lot. Also going to spend more time going through hands with hem replayer and have Equilab running at same time to help to define ranges.( this is this weeks goal for me)
      7)I'm starting to see this much better now and after picking a loose looking table from the lobby I then sit in with a tight range until I can work out who I have a bigger edge on and how I can make money from them, if its difficult to get my money in then I reselect another table.
      8) i tend to use the Rol charts from my days as an MSSer, so could do with more info on this skill.

phewwwww what an epic load of typing lol :)

Roo
      Yes, roo all of the ideas you suggested seem great! I like watching coachings together as well! I would like to evaluate each others hand postings from our lockerrooms as well (for easy to find evaluations, link all your hand postings to your locker room thread if you havent already), or at least see what veriz is saying in them. He should be our #1 coach imo at this point, he is the main reason for my success (when not on tilt). He has taken my game theory at micro stakes to the next level! Possibly watching each other play via join.me and sort of communicating to each other sort of like a coaching session where we can discuss the hand as its happening?? Or is that a sweat session lol? Or is that too personal at this point to give away our screen names on pokerstars? Just a thought.

1) No, I rarely follow the starting hand chart when I’m playing. I play very closely to it, but I feel comfortable opening with more hands from MP3 and sometimes MP2 as well. I also like opening with QJ+ from pretty well anywhere on the table, and K-Ts + from any position. Oop I limp 22-99, but I will open with them from MP3+. I will open TT+ from anywhere on the table.

2)answered in question 1

3)vs. tight, rocks, nits. I will steal from them any chance I get. I was sitting on a table with 7 tight/nits once. I opened about 30 hands in a row and never lost a pot. Also there are some good situations to squeeze with AJ+ if we feel they are opening and calling the open light, but will fold to 3bet, and possibly call with worse.

4)depends on situation. Vs calling stations we get a lot of profit from betting marginal hands like middle pair good kicker, or middle pair bad kicker. If the board is dry and im weak I’ll bet about 60% of pot, instead of my normal 75%. This is to balance out when they hold a monster and plan on seeing the showdown. I can easily c/f further streets if I feel theyre ahead. Vs most other types except pure fish and lagtards im just trying to cbet the flops and not get to showdown. On river in a freeplay pot I will sometimes bet on the river to get some value, but usually not.

5) bet sizing again depends on the opponent when you hold TPTK. Vs a tight player he will often not have the same hand as you, and if he’s just smooth calling you on the flop and turn IP if im betting 75% of the pot, I might consider b/f the whole way. VS calling station its bet flop 75%, bet turn 75%, and shove river if possible, and board state favours you. TPTK are usually just great hands to take out looser players. But vs. tight players you need to be more careful when they raise you because they rarely bluff, and will usually just c/c with TPGK ex AQ on a A 5 T flop, 6 on turn, J on river. If it’s a wet board and I know the player seems to like drawing by c/c a lot, I will make a pot size bet on turn if the board is still incomplete, but wet. Reevaluate on river of course. But as always playing in position is key to any success with poker. You’ll have a easier time playin TPTK IP most of the time.

6) definitely I put everyone on a range or I wouldn’t be able to decide on how to act/react to their previous actions. The stats in my HUD as well as their previous showdowns is how I put their range into perspective. This helps me feel more comfortable with any of my actions and I always want to make the +EV play, so this is absolutely necessary to have any success in poker. I don’t put a guy on specific hands unless I have a sick sick read on them, however, I put them on a specific range, either elastic or inelastic, and see if their range beats most of my range or not in a given situation. Taking shitloads of notes never hurts either. In fact if you don’t, your not playing the game right. Especially at 1-6 tables where we can see more things going on then mass multitablers.

7) table selection is pretty important to me. I like picking tables that have a high average pot, low amount of hand per hour, meaning the VPIP and players per flop stats are real, I like vpip and players that see flop stats to be at 30% or higher each at the nl2. This is attainable at pokerstars I just go on the waiting lists and blog here or do something for 5 mins and usually I have a table or 2 to start working off of, and then I close all my table reservations after 3 or 4 become available. This helps me because I prefer to play with loose passive opponents the most.

8) isolating a fish is nice. I rarely give players that label however. I use calling station, loose passive, loose, tight, nit, donk, maniac, steaming/tilty, weak aggressive, rock, TAG, LAG as my labels because I think fish is too vague. Everyones a fish at nl2 lol. I usually just raise them to isolate whenever I feel my starting hand beats their starting hand. I take into account metagame and table dynamics before doing this however, and only isolate with marginal hands when I feel they wont 3bet, and feel they will call with much worse.

I like the leak buster idea! I like how you choose 1 table, but go 6max to stay interested. That’s acceptable for sure J FR does get boring sometimes even at 3 tables. I am not pushing it though because of my small screen. :)

Yeah the players who cbet but c/f the turn are called weak aggressive and they are good choices to exploit! I don’t notice them too often tho as im usually just folding to their cbet on the flop cuz I have a hard time labeling them with this without many hands played to the turn with them lol.

I edited my post in ur blog about 656 times. Please check it lol im done editing now :)

will be around all day
      Magic

just had to implement stop loss after losing 2 stacks. too many distractions and a nagging girlfriend puts me in shitty mood. it is clearly impossible to play when shes around and in one of her bored so ill make andrews life miserable moods. ill play later :)
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      today i decided i would prepare for moving up a limit. I won some money on an online casino free chip. they sent me 110 to my moneybookers account and im gonna invest 50 of it onto the $42 I now have to play up a limit. I think I am ready to move up as I have played here before and had little success, however, I have learned a lot since. Today I played 3-4 tables and prospered. Never felt like I was out of my element.

heres a funny metagame decision where i just had " a hunch" that this guy would call me if he had any peice of the board on hand number 2.

HAND #1) in this hand i just kind of felt this was the right line most of the time vs this opponent. seemed pretty solid thru 116 hands, so b/f flop b/f turn river.....? never got there. but anyways this metagames perfectly for the very next hand where villain gets caught trying to bluff catch me

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $5
      BB:
      $4.3
      UTG1:
      $13.73
      Hero:
      $6.3
      MP1:
      $5
      MP2:
      $4.88
      MP3:
      $2
      CO:
      $2.22
      BU:
      $2.1

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.106 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with Q:spade: , J:heart:
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $0.25, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.25, 5 folds.

Flop: ($0.57) J:spade: , T:heart: , 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.41, MP2 calls $0.41.

Turn: ($1.39) 8:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.99, MP2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.39

HAND #2)

He isnt using auto top up, so im guessing that could be a tell that hes not too smart. Most players know that basic tool on pokerstars. Secondly, we just played the very last hand where I'm sure I muscled him off a hand he wanted to continue with, but just couldnt because of the bet size. Now I have AA and I want to make myself look like I think I can push him around, but really, I have the nuts (in my mind). After I make the raise I say, "I dare someone to 3 bet me." I instashove the flop just to make it look like im bluffing. he insta calls and insta loses. I'm pretty sure i wouldve blown up at the dealer if i lost this hand tho. i woulda quit my session right away. but the dealer was nice to me and the turn/river run in my favour. after the hand i type in the chat box, "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!".

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $4.25
      BB:
      $13.73
      Hero:
      $6.97
      UTG2:
      $5
      MP1:
      $4.22
      MP2:
      $2
      MP3:
      $2.22
      CO:
      $2.1
      BU:
      $5

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.106 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with A:spade: , A:club:
      Hero raises to $0.25, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, 6 folds.

Flop: ($0.57) A:heart: , 9:heart: , 3:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.72 (All-In), MP1 calls $3.97 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Turn: ($8.51) K:spade:
      River: ($8.51) 4:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $8.51

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, aces (As Ac)
      MP1 shows (Ad Qh)

Hero wins with three-of-a-kind, aces (As Ac)

fun stuff lol
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      lol i like it :D

Got back late to hotel tonight,still got to go down to dinner, I hate it when I cant play poker, study or post, hopefully will have more time tomorrow!!

Roo
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      yeah so the NL5 experiment is still going better then expected. Logged a measly 300 hands today, and if not for a blown read, I woulda been +$12, but I'm up $8 on the day so we're off and running in the right direction :)

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $4.48
      BB:
      $6
      UTG2:
      $7.75
      MP1:
      $5
      MP2:
      $4.02
      MP3:
      $1.59
      CO:
      $13.31
      Hero:
      $6.88

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:spade: , K:diamond:
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.27) 8:club: , 4:spade: , 4:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.3, Hero raises to $0.90, MP2 calls $0.60.

Turn: ($3.07) T:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $1.75, Hero raises to $5.38 (All-In), MP2 calls $0.77 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

River: ($8.11) 3:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $8.11

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows (Kc 9s)
      Hero shows two-pair, kings and fours (Ks Kd)

Hero wins with two-pair, kings and fours (Ks Kd)

after hand i asked him why he made this play. he said "i couldnt see my hand" .....LOL

this might be a little better than I had expected when I deposited $10 a little while back :) this be the current BR. I feel rich :P

• roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      lol it looks to me like villian tried to float you on the flop and bluff you off the turn!!! makes me laugh that he went allin with his last .77 when he w as obviously beaten!!! :f_biggrin:
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      hahahaha yeah he surely picked the wrong guy to fucking float hahaha
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      hahahaha yeah he surely picked the wrong guy to fucking float hahaha
      :f_biggrin:
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      scratch that, now veriz has told me i need to cbet more !!! haha people should be floating me more often and i will like that!! tonights session was crazy +EV. im up like $15 thru 872 hand! amazing. 4 tabling.

k im done for the night. had enough. heres a graph of today, the luckiest day of my nl2 career as far as bb/100 goes