Party Poker, $1 SNG "turbo"?

• pukegou
      pukegou
      Bronze
      Hey guys, I just got my 2nd chance (2nd bankroll) thanks to PokerStrategy and Party Poker. :f_love:

Since I started off poker as a SNG player (NL holdem), I have dicided to stick on SNG games :f_p: . However, after playing 2 games of $1 turbo and losing them. I realise that turbo in Party Poker is not 5min but 3min :f_eek: , which means it is super turbo in other site. It is because of this I am extremely uncomfortable with the $1 games offered by Party Poker :f_mad: .
      *note I understand some would think that $1 games rakes are too high anyway. Most site has it at 20% of Buy-in, but Party poker only has it at 18%. Since I have been able to beat $1 games in other site I strongly believe I could beat 18% rakes.

Unfortunately, I do not see how I would be able to beat the game at super turbo speed. So after the long intro, here is the question:

Would you recommend that I jump queue (abandon BRM) to $3 SNG speed :f_confused: ?
      or should I play cash or MTT untill I got $135?
      how about Steps SNG? are they profitable?
      *Note on other site I have not played higher than $2 SNG :f_p: .

Question are open to all, I just want to know what you guys think.
      Thanks in advance for you kind help.
  • 7 replies
    • ThePenny1
      ThePenny1
      Bronze
      You seem like a nice pukegou so I will respond :)

Just kidding, I've had the same issues as well. But yeah, the party sng $1,- are a *****. But I would not recommend 'jumping' to $3 sngs because the variance in SNGs can be a killer and you could be out of your bankroll in no time. Keep in mind that playing these things 'serieus' means like a 100/200 BI bankroll. There are good players who have had like 50-100 BI swings with SNG.

The thing about SNG's and which one's are the most profitable are totally player dependant. If you're like genius with ICM and push/fold ranges in certain spots, u should def play the (sup)turbo's. Otherwise play regulars and wait for good cards in early levels and push/fold later levels.

But in your case, i would play low buyin MTT and practice practice practice. They can be a good training and you can use some of the concepts u would also use in SNG. Be sure to analyse every session. At least, thats what I do. After building a role and getting the concepts of SNGs, go for it.

Cliffs: BRM + practice -> profit
      BRM + training =
    • pukegou
      pukegou
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ThePenny1
      You seem like a nice pukegou so I will respond :)

Just kidding, I've had the same issues as well. But yeah, the party sng $1,- are a *****. But I would not recommend 'jumping' to $3 sngs because the variance in SNGs can be a killer and you could be out of your bankroll in no time. Keep in mind that playing these things 'serieus' means like a 100/200 BI bankroll. There are good players who have had like 50-100 BI swings with SNG.

The thing about SNG's and which one's are the most profitable are totally player dependant. If you're like genius with ICM and push/fold ranges in certain spots, u should def play the (sup)turbo's. Otherwise play regulars and wait for good cards in early levels and push/fold later levels.

But in your case, i would play low buyin MTT and practice practice practice. They can be a good training and you can use some of the concepts u would also use in SNG. Be sure to analyse every session. At least, thats what I do. After building a role and getting the concepts of SNGs, go for it.

Cliffs: BRM + practice -> profit
      BRM + training =
      Woof woof* "yes I am"

haha, first of all I would like to thank you ThePenny1 for your reply...
      Seem that most of the forumer consider me to be a complete noob..
      well guys I maybe a fish, I hell no noob.

yea. turbo has high variances. I understand MTT is the way to go, but I find that MTT can some time take hours to end and I do not have such a flexible timing as I need to work too.

So, what kind of MTT would you recommend me to play on PartyPoker?
    • expertnabbo
      expertnabbo
      Bronze
      sit of 1$ are so poor rewards ..
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      imo, there really isn't too much diff between the speed/ turbos on Party. the turbos have a slightly gentler structure 100/200 ->150/300 -> 200/400 -> 300/600 as opposed to 100/200 -> 200/400 -> 300/600 on speeds. 5 min or 3 min really isn't that big of a diff.

Just try to adjust.. watch the clock a lot and think one level ahead if you're in early position and the clock is finishing for this level.

Rake is killer here, so it really is better to play cash games until you get a better roll for higher stakes. Maybe you can look into MSS too.
    • pukegou
      pukegou
      Bronze
      Originally posted by elhh82
      imo, there really isn't too much diff between the speed/ turbos on Party. the turbos have a slightly gentler structure 100/200 ->150/300 -> 200/400 -> 300/600 as opposed to 100/200 -> 200/400 -> 300/600 on speeds. 5 min or 3 min really isn't that big of a diff.

Just try to adjust.. watch the clock a lot and think one level ahead if you're in early position and the clock is finishing for this level.

Rake is killer here, so it really is better to play cash games until you get a better roll for higher stakes. Maybe you can look into MSS too.
      Thanks for the reply.

Just finish reading all MSS article, just wondering is this method beatable on Partypoker :f_p: ?
    • M1rCea
      M1rCea
      Bronze
      Hi!

I had 40$ on party. Started playing there at the beginning of this month.

Started w/ 1$ SnG's, Turbos. I agree, they suck. I also hate the cash games there.

Being left w/ 35$ I found myself w/ no choice but to try the 3$ ones. It worked for me. I consider basic SnG knowledge is enough to beat them.

I realise this is a risk, considering standard BRM, so it's up to you. Just wanted to let you know that it can be done. Also, I might be leaving those games soon, so it's definitely +EV 4 you.

If you're interested further, you can also take a look at my blog, I updated it consistently over the course of this month.

Daniel
    • Kammalleri
      Kammalleri
      Bronze
      I think I'll start playing $3 as well, the rake is just too high in $1.

Speed is what I was doing on FTP before it closes and I had more success there