[NL2-NL10] Hand Evaluation Coaching - Homework #12 13.12.11

• veriz
      Hello PokerStrategists,

as some of you may have heard that we have a homework in each of our No-Limit Hand Evaluation Coachings.

Here is the homework for the coaching from Dec 13rd, please note:

• Everybody is invited to share his thoughts here regardless if you joined the last coaching or not.
      • Whoever is active in the homework threads can get a free database analysis by us which helps you to improve your game.

Find the hand below waiting for you opinions and analysis posted in this thread. Furthermore do not forget to join our next coaching on Tuesday, December 20th at 6 PM GMT.

Prima Network $20.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1499620
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: $22.23
      MP: $16.88
      CO: $40.28
      BTN: $20.00
      Hero (SB): $59.23
      BB: $21.00

Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero is SB with Q :diamond: A :diamond:
      1 fold, MP calls $0.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.80, BB raises to $2.40, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.60

Flop: ($5.00) 5 :diamond: 9 :spade: 6 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $3.00, Hero raises to $8.60, BB raises to $18.60, Hero calls $10

Turn: ($42.20) 7 :spade: (2 players)

River: ($42.20) T :spade: (2 players)

Opponent 3bet from bb is 10%. 300 hands. I know that calling oop isn't good. How should i play preflop and what do you think about my flop play?
  • 6 replies
    • Nocco88
      Well, I think preflop fold is the best option here, because you are OOP. If you want to play back OOP, i think the 4-bet is a better option, but not here. I think the check-raise is good on the flop, because we have a nut flush draw and two overcards which give us 15 outs against him, but you need to go all-in with the check-raise, because generally you have better equity on the flop than him. So preflop fold and the flop play is good if you do check-raise (all-in). And with that move, you generate the maximum fold equity so it think the check-raise (all-in) move will be definitely +EV.
    • jachis
      With only so little info its not really easy to tell. If villain is decent he should notice that hero is isolating from SB so he probably should have a tighter range here. Also a good villain might flat some big hands to keep the fish in the hand, his in position againt the hero and no worries about beeing oop against the fish.

If just assume villain has 10% 3bet in this spot, his range must be polarized we can divide his range like this - a tight value range AK, QQ+ is only 2% and 8% bunch of weak hands,
      a loose value range one like
      AQ+, TT+ is like 3,7% and 6,3% air so theres still a lot of crappy hands in his range.

Against a villain with the 2%value 8%air We're quite behind his value range, but we just crush his air, so I think call is really ok here.

If villains value range is wider and he likes to get it in light, its not bad to just 4bet/call imho.

On the flop, I like the hero's line. Offcourse it would be good to know villains cbet tendencies and so on. Overall I think the hand is played ok with the info given.
    • frako17
      After the hand analysis from jachis there are really not much to say about the hand.

The only thing that i want to add is that we are deep, oop and probably i would followed a more passive line.

We dont have enough infos for BB so preflop bet/fold couldnt be so bad just to avoid to face difficult decisions post flop oop.

As played I would check/call the flop for pot control and reevaluate turn.

Probably i would check/fold the given turn (7 of spade).
    • chocular77
      PF: If it would be a SB vs. BB situation a call to the 3B would be ok. But here MP limps which means BB range is stronger than his range would be in a normal blindbattle.
      The call really depends on how the BB plays. If he 3B alot a call is fine, but if he only 3B with ~5% it's really hard to play OOP and i would fold.

We get a good flop since we are even ahead against something like JJ, so it's hard to get away from this flop.
      We can either c/c or c/r
      Since we are OOP and he can cbet his whole range i think c/r is better since if we only c/c we can't c/c on turn anymore if we don't hit.
      donk/call is also a possibility, but then you would have to balance such donks.

BB 3B and since we already planned to get everything in we call.

Edit: I saw now that villain has a 10% range so i would also call preflop.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      Preflop I aggree taht its not too good to call OOP. 10% range is not that big, and we might often be dominated.

Post flop I think its fine to c/r if we think that he cbets with overcards. And after he reraises, we don't have enough odds to call, total pot is 40 and we called 10, so before our call it was 30$ - not enough for flushdraw.
    • veriz

Preflop: Most likely while being in OOP there are of course 2 options. 1 option would be to Call if we are good postflop and know a lot of stats. But while we don't have them I would rather prefer to just go for the 4bet than Call being OOP.

As played
      Postflop: I don't see any other option to play here than Check/Raise and of course play for the stacks. Especially when the opponent has such a 3bet preflop, his CBetting range can be really wide here. Against even made hands we get really good equity with our nutFD+overcards.

Best Regards.