hello. im not really new to poker but fairly new to learning about it

• 7 replies
    • MrMardyBum
      Hi flushed203,

Welcome to the Pokerstrategy community!

Have you taken our quiz for the free $50 starting capital yet?

To start your learning process have a quick look at the basic article here and see which type of poker interests you the most. You mentioned you play 1/2, but you didn't say which variant you play?

If it's NLHE, then we also have an excellent NL Hold 'em Beginners course that would help you start out and give you a bit of support while you are learning. More details can be found here.

Also, another thing that may interest you is our coachings that run everyday - Details are here

If there's anything else you'd like to know then please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes,

• Calcul0n
      im pretty new, and i found that sitting in on tables and playing really tight for the first bunch of hands til you get used to it worked well. just observe how everyone else is playing, what are they raising with, what are they calling with, note c-bets and stuff..

honestly, at the micro stakes people generally play straightforward poker and it's really easy to get into. just watch everyone and wait for AA/AK/KK, Axs, or a pocket pair and hope you hit the flop/force a headsup all in situation with high pairs. the play is very systematic and predictable. bluffing is not suggested until you figure out the windows where you can (common one I can think of = cold call pre flop raise or in EP, if flop is headsup Jxx, if he checks to you normally you can raise here and have him put you on AJ for example.) Most of these people overall are totally predictable, lots of fish, and you can normally put the regulars on a very small range of cards, which is often their weakness.

read as many online strategy articles as you can, this websites got alot i found useful, also videos too. it wont take you long at all to get into it if you play live, it's kind of jsut a different meta-game.
    • MrMardyBum
      Another link you may find helpful :)

Getting Started Guide for Bronze Members (updated 18th May 2009)
    • Phgrinder

in the micro stakes. i find that bet fold is the key. people will call down with worse hands in general if you bet straight up ( Ax, gutshots, flushdraws, middle pairs, pairs + draws ) this is where you get value. do not try to bloat the pot with weak holdings and just try to be in position as much as possible.

different story if you raise, make sure you have the nuts or something close to it. your never getting called by something by worse
    • IngridN
      Originally posted by flushed203
      hello . im not new to poker but fairly new to getting serious about it. i play low cash games live . mostly 1/2 . what is the best learning process.???
      Hey flushed,

I noticed that you're basic even though you're playing. Where do you play then? Have you thought about getting the free $50 starting capital at one of our poker room partners?

Let us know if we can help you
    • nowandthen12
      welcome and gl
    • CheckBop
      great - pokerstrategy is the best next step for you ! welcome.