Bronze
      Pacific, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

BTN: $16.44 (164.4 bb)
      Hero (SB): $11.69 (116.9 bb)
      BB: $18.60 (186 bb)
      MP: $10.16 (101.6 bb)
      CO: $13.73 (137.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8 A
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1, BB folds, BTN calls $0.70

Flop: ($2.10) K 5 A (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.05, Hero calls $1.05

Turn: ($4.20) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $2.10, Hero calls $2.10

River: ($8.40) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $7.54, BTN calls $7.54

Results: $23.48 pot ($1.17 rake)
      Final Board: K 5 A 6 5
      BTN showed K A and lost (-$11.69 net)
      Hero showed 8 A and won $22.31 ($10.62 net)

This guy is a complete Fish, and seems to just be pressing buttons generally as not a lot of what he does makes any real sense, but what do you think of this hand?

VPIP/PFR/3-Bet Total/Call vs. 3-Bet Tot.

Flop CB/Fold to C-Bet Flop/WonSD%/Total 4-bet

ATS Total/Fold To Steal Total/3-Bet vs. Steal Total/Postflop Agg%

Pre-Flop: I think A8s is way to strong to fold to such a bad player OTB, and just calling isn't really good because it invites the BB in at a very nice price so I decide to 3-bet and hopefully play the fish HU.

Flop: With this flop I am not overly happy about my hand, but still think there is a chance I am ahead here, so I elect to c/c to keep the pot small as I can.

Turn: Given his bet size is pretty small here I think this call is okay?

River: I just think that shoving was the right option here? Given the nature of the player I expect him to call with pretty much any ace.

I'd like to say my hand well hidden and that he would see this as an attempt to bluff the scare card river but, I am pretty sure this guy isn't really assigning me a range.

So did I play this a bit to fish-like or is this okay?
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello MrMardyBum,

Preflop: Against such a loose opponent I am actually not a huge fan of 3betting. Especially when we getting called so often. I'd rather just flat and play postflop and might even invite BB coming along. Unless you expected BB to squeeze very light?

As played
      Postflop: Seems to be fine, especially with the TP such a guy will anyways have hard time Calling on all the streets. But what I do like is the shove on the river, most likely would have done the same. What would you do if the guy bets himself kind of big on the river and you don't hit? :coolface:

Best Regards.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello MrMardyBum,

Preflop: Against such a loose opponent I am actually not a huge fan of 3betting. Especially when we getting called so often. I'd rather just flat and play postflop and might even invite BB coming along. Unless you expected BB to squeeze very light?
      Actually my thought process was, if I 3-bet it gives the BB less incentive to get into the hand and therefore I am only OOP vs 1 bad opponent, rather than a TAG and a bad opponent, as it would mean trying to go through the TAG to get the fish which I don't think is a very great spot to be in, as a TAG probably knows I don't have to have a great hand to be 3-betting the fishy button.

Originally posted by veriz
      As played
      Postflop: Seems to be fine, especially with the TP such a guy will anyways have hard time Calling on all the streets. But what I do like is the shove on the river, most likely would have done the same. What would you do if the guy bets himself kind of big on the river and you don't hit? :coolface:

Best Regards.
      I was actually planning to fold the turn to any reasonable bet and figure he'd got a hand this time, but then the :club: came with his 50% bet and I thought that if I hit I am likely to stack him... I planned on the turn to ship and 8 and any :club: .

Had the 3rd :club: not fell or an 8, then I would of tank folded and let him TID, because he already barreled Flop and Turn so he probably has my TPWK beaten, and I can't be sure that I am ahead often enough to go broke.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Actually my thought process was, if I 3-bet it gives the BB less incentive to get into the hand and therefore I am only OOP vs 1 bad opponent, rather than a TAG and a bad opponent, as it would mean trying to go through the TAG to get the fish which I don't think is a very great spot to be in, as a TAG probably knows I don't have to have a great hand to be 3-betting the fishy button.

The problem here is that he wont have many worse Ax hands in his calling range. Therefore I am not a huge fan of 3betting since even if you hit postflop your Ace it could still be far-far behind and might do mistakes by overplaying TP. And most likely it's gonna happen since the pot will be pretty big and people feel too much committed to it.