[NL2-NL10] NL4; SH: A5s agnst limper, good isoraise?

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $2.12 (53 bb)
      CO: $5.18 (129.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $4 (100 bb)
      SB: $1 (25 bb)
      BB: $5.44 (136 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A 5
      MP calls $0.04, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 3 folds

Results: $0.14 pot
      Hero mucked A 5 and won $0.14 ($0.10 net)

Our opponent has a VPIP of 29 over a 21 hand sample size.
      The BB has the following stats:
      VPIP/PFR/AF/3bt/hands 33/19/6.0/11.8/37

Does an isoraise make sense here? Do we miss out on some value by folding?
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Nah, raising seems to be fine and I don't mind. But the problem here is that we have 2 shorties, one on MP and another guy on the SB. Therefore I'd rather prefer limping in.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Would you really prefer limping a small suited ace with just one limper who even is not fullstacked and a shortstack SB in a 6max game? We don't hit that often and even when we do we don't get paid too often or even too much.

To me it seems to either be a raise or a fold.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Would you really prefer limping a small suited ace with just one limper who even is not fullstacked and a shortstack SB in a 6max game? We don't hit that often and even when we do we don't get paid too often or even too much.

To me it seems to either be a raise or a fold.
      Why not limp? We just have to invest 1BB and might will won from MP50BB or even from BB 100BB. :) Plus we have the position. I don't really see why we should fold there if we getting so damn good odds if SB ships. That's also is my plan if I am raising my hand, usually I'd plan to play for the stacks since SB can be bad player and ship with very wide range. We would only need ~39% equity to make it profitable. Try around and play with the ranges and give some ranges for loose SB and see yourself if you get the 39%. :)
      Bronze
      1) So generally here limping is slightly better than raising?
      2) Would you really call SBs push if he was unknown?
      3) I'm sorry if this will take a lot of your time, but it has not been written anywhere else - how do you calculate how much equity you need % wise?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) So generally here limping is slightly better than raising?

Yes, against those small stacks. :)

2) Would you really call SBs push if he was unknown?

Well, I said I wouldn't even Raise. I wouldn't even have the option here. :) If I raise then I also prepare myself to go broke against his shove range and that I expect him to go broke with a lot worse. As I said, play around the equilab to get the understanding.

3) I'm sorry if this will take a lot of your time, but it has not been written anywhere else - how do you calculate how much equity you need % wise?

Here is the article: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1719/1/

Read it through and will understand it. :) And if you still don't understand then come back to me.
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot to you! This was an excellent analysis.