[NL2-NL10] NL4; SH: AJo frm BB agnst SB

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $3.67 (91.8 bb)
      SB: $4.02 (100.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $4 (100 bb)
      UTG: $4.06 (101.5 bb)
      MP: $0.68 (17 bb)
      CO: $5.44 (136 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A J
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.12, Hero calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.24) 5 9 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.60) T (2 players)
      SB bets $0.45, Hero folds

Results: $0.60 pot ($0.04 rake)
      Final Board: 5 9 8 T
      SB mucked and won $0.56 ($0.26 net)
      Hero mucked A J and lost (-$0.30 net)

Our opponent seems decent but we don't know much about him.

Fearing that a 3bet would isolate us against a stronger range, I call.
      This is our first hand together, which is why we probably shouldn't have attempted a float, but I thought that the flop is relatively dry and misses our opponent often.

The biggest question is about preflop though: is calling superior to raising here?
  • 8 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Calling the preflop is fine but I don't really like floating on the flop while you even didn't point out what kind of CB frequency the guy has.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      So a good general advice on floating would be that I have to know that my opponent cbets on the flop a lot and doesn't 2nd barrel often?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      So a good general advice on floating would be that I have to know that my opponent cbets on the flop a lot and doesn't 2nd barrel often?
      Yes, also how often he goes to showdown. But obviously that not the only but, you also have to pay attention on yourself how aggressive you are. Obviously if you are playing back a lot against him then he is going to start to Call down also looser.
      Bronze
      And to ask even a more basic question - without such information, floating is not recommended and shouldn't be a part of my arsenal against that particular opponent?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      And to ask even a more basic question - without such information, floating is not recommended and shouldn't be a part of my arsenal against that particular opponent?
      Raise > Float. ;) With raising you may sometimes even make better hands to fold but with floating you ain't, also giving possibility to hit overcard or any re-draw.
      Bronze
      1) Should I include bluff raising in my arsenal right now? If so then when?
      2) And still about floating - without additional information, floating is not recommended and shouldn't be a part of my arsenal against anyone as of yet?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) Should I include bluff raising in my arsenal right now? If so then when?

Not on those stakes where you will very likely get Called and have hardly a lot fold equity. Rather play standard ABC at first and then adjust your play according your own style and skills how they improve.

2) And still about floating - without additional information, floating is not recommended and shouldn't be a part of my arsenal against anyone as of yet?

Not on such boards which are a bit drawy and could easily even hit his stealing range. Also of course know the opponent and know that you are able to do the float profitable, know that you are ahead with your Ace high not that oh I want to float now.
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot!