[NL2-NL10] Nl4; HU; 55 agnst unknown

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 2 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $4.06 (101.5 bb)
      SB: $7.05 (176.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5 5
      SB raises to $0.12, Hero calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.24) 9 9 A (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets $0.24, Hero folds

Results: $0.24 pot ($0.01 rake)
      Final Board: 9 9 A
      Hero mucked 5 5 and lost (-$0.12 net)
      SB mucked and won $0.23 ($0.11 net)

I totally misplayed this one. How do you play small pocket pairs HU?
  • 8 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Why misplayed? Seems to be totally standard and nice hand! :)

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Is that profitable HU play?

I don't think that with HU openraising ranges we can get much value from setmining alone. The call preflop is ok, I would guess, but postflop seems a little bit weak on a paired board.

According to the strategy article about basic preflop HU play
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1663/1/
      Small pockets and SCs are generally supposed to be the hands you want to be 3betting with. Don't you agree with the article, and if not, then why?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Is that profitable HU play?

I don't think that with HU openraising ranges we can get much value from setmining alone. The call preflop is ok, I would guess, but postflop seems a little bit weak on a paired board.

According to the strategy article about basic preflop HU play
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1663/1/
      Small pockets and SCs are generally supposed to be the hands you want to be 3betting with. Don't you agree with the article, and if not, then why?
      On those limits you can't 3bet there since you get called to loosely and your small PP wont have that great equity. Therefore I don't like 3betting and I would still just Call since I expect them to pay very loosely with any pair. Especially if the opponent ain't folding to 3bets.
      Bronze
      If we call, do we really always give up without a hit?

Once I get to know the guy a bit more I should be 3betting though, right? Provided I know he's folding to 3bets often enough.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      If we call, do we really always give up without a hit?

Once I get to know the guy a bit more I should be 3betting though, right? Provided I know he's folding to 3bets often enough.
      On those stacks standard to play for set value, I wouldn't play any differently and fit/Fold is also standard. :)
      Bronze
      Against tougher opponents our play should be different though, right? Say, on the higher stakes?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Against tougher opponents our play should be different though, right? Say, on the higher stakes?
      Well, then it would also depend on your postflop play and his fold to 3bet and overall style. Against some we might still be able to Call and play postflop even for the set value since he is just doing it 3x. Against those who fold a lot to 3bets is safer to just 3bet while your hand wont have very good postflop anyways and we have to take stabs very often.
      Bronze
      Thanks!