BTN ($2)

Dealt to Hero Q:club: Q:spade:

Hero raises to $0.07, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB calls $0.05

FLOP ($0.15) K:heart: 7:diamond: 2:spade:

BB checks, Hero bets $0.11, BB calls $0.11

TURN ($0.37) K:heart: 7:diamond: 2:spade: Q:heart:

BB checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($0.37) K:heart: 7:diamond: 2:spade: Q:heart: 6:heart:

BB bets $0.30, Hero raises to $0.90, BB raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $2.69 (AI), BB calls $1.19

BB shows 7:heart: J:heart:
      (Pre 18%, Flop 22.8%, Turn 18.2%)

Hero shows Q:club: Q:spade:
      (Pre 82%, Flop 77.2%, Turn 81.8%)

BB wins $5.37

Just in general, how terrible have I butchered the hand?
  • 5 replies
    • ThePenny1
      Yeah please move this one aswell :P
    • purplefizz
      hi there,

moved to the appropriate section.

• Silicernium

You did not say anything about the other player. Is he an unknown?

OK, pre, I would always raise 4bb +1 per limper. This is ok.
      Your CBet on flop is also standard
      But on Turn you have made your set. Why did you not bet for value? If he calls the flop, he will call the turn also. On this limit, you have to bet for value if you have a hand. No slowplay!!
      On river it is not easy, but I think, it is a fold. He donks and after your raise he makes a min raise. On NL2 a Nutsplay from the players. Fold this hand is heavy, but I think the right way. Maybe you can call but the push is burning money I think.
    • luizsilveira
      Hi there!

One thing for starters: next time, please don't post results. They might influence the evaluation and they shouldn't :)

Originally posted by ThePenny1
      Just in general, how terrible have I butchered the hand?[...]
      Quite :D

Preflop: you can raise to $0.08. You're raising a strong range (I assume) and people will call way too much so start charging them from preflop.

Flop: I like your bet, well played.

Turn: why do you check? We have a VERY strong hand and we need to get VALUE! The way to get value is by betting. Always bet your strong hands. Especially in these limits, people's mistake will be to call too much. If they call too much, the way to exploit them is to bet when you have a strong hand, simple as that. You should have bet at lest some $0.28 there - if he has a K he is not folding.

River: now, when he bets, why do you raise? There are two main reasons to bet (or raise): to make a worse hand call or a better hand fold. I can't see any better hand than second set folding there. I can see a couple of worse hands calling indeed, maybe AK, KQ and that's about it. Not many.

Problem is: now that he re-raises you, what do you think he has? Ok, he could have KQ, 22 and 77, so you can even consider calling (but it's already close). However, why do you re-raise again? He is showing lots of strenght... if he is bluffing, he will just fold to our all-in; if he's not, we're most likely beat. So if you think you're ahead, best course of action is to just call - re-raising it once again does not make much sense.

But all in all, I think your biggest mistake was the turn, while there were still loooads of worse hands that could call a nice bet and you just checked. You'll lose a ton of value in those spots in the long run, this is really important.

On the river I think you could either call or raise, raising (smaller I'd say) could make a bit of sense since you slowplayed your hand (even though you shouldn't be slowplaying ever at these limits). But once you do reraise big and he pops back to us I don't see any reason to reraise it once again and would at best just call the extra $0.6.
    • ThePenny1

@Silicernium: He was a real fish. Stats:

VPIP: 91% PFR: 6%
      post flop agg: 1.7
      WWSF: 68%
      W$SD: 67%
      Bet IP: 88%
      Bet OOP: 100%

I'm a fish as well I guess but he/she needed a bigger aquarium. I played a 24/19 game. I like what u said about that it's a nutsplay at these stakes. Every time I called a hand otr after villain (re)raised me, i was way behind. But this guy was tilting the **** out of me by 3xpsb almost every hand. But yeah, the turn check is like a stab in the foot.

I guess you're right. The turncheck was horrible and river should have been a r/c. But for the life of me, i did not think that a flushdraw would be in his range but yeah, i checked the turn and let him continue with the hand.

Btw I posted this hand on 2+2 aswell and they we're very friendly about the turncheck ;)