Tilt playing PLO

• JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      To those guys playing PLO50 and above:

1. How do you handle the swings of PLO?
      2. Do you still tilt?
      3. What has been the thing that has helped you mindset the most?

I know I can comfortably beat the games I'm playing but mindset issues are keeping my back. Simply can't afford to tilt off a few buy ins every few days.
  • 6 replies
    • TurnitAce
      TurnitAce
      Bronze
      I want the answer to that problem as well. Probably you don't have to value the $ to win at this game...i think
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      It's not easy. I'm going through a downswing at the moment and it is just like all the rest of them. You are constantly frustrated that you keep losing. You realise that you are getting sucked out on a lot and put in cooler situations where you are bound to lose due to the luck of the cards but you still can't help wondering if all this time you've just been running good and you're not as good as you think you are.

You lose confidence and this leads to further bad play, which leads to further falls in confidence. Your mindset is bad and this leads to further bad play. It's a vicious cycle.

I definitely still tilt. I believe everybody does in one form or another. It might not be shoving all in every hand in anger (actually it usually isn't). It could be that you make your decisions too quickly and without thinking. This is a type of "autopilot tilt". It might be that you start playing more hands than usual, generally speculative hands, to try and hit something and win a big pot to get unstuck. It might be calling too many hands on the river. Whatever it is, it's tilt, and everyone tilts.

There are a few things you can do to have a better mindset and deal with the swings. The first is to understand the extent of which variance can affect your game. The nature of the beast is that sometimes you will go on unimaginable downswings. Everyone does. You can profit from this though. If you handle your downswings better than your opponents then you will make money over the long run by performing better during your downswings than your opponents during theirs. You will still lose money, but you will lose less.

Some more tangible things to do are to take more breaks. Set a stop loss. Go for walks. Eat better. Sleep well. Exercise.

Review your game. You should be doing this anyway but doing it during a downswing becomes even more important. You can find out if you're playing badly or just running bad. You see that you're playing well and this can rebuild some confidence. You might want to drop the number of tables you're playing during a downswing too and spend more time thinking about each decision.

Having a friend or 3rd party review your game is another great way to maintain confidence. If they see you play and see that you're playing fine then you know it's just variance and it will turn around. They might however see that you're playing badly and have some leaks to plug -- this is a good thing as you now have something to work on to improve your results.

Having a large bankroll will also help the swings. If you know you are over rolled for the stakes you're playing and a -50 buyin swing isn't going to force you to struggle then you'll play better. If you think that a downswing is going to be detrimental to your daily life or financial well being then this puts unnecessary strain on your mind and you will play worse as a result.

It gets easier with time. Think of every downswing as an opportunity to train and improve so that your next downswing is handled better. The swings are inevitable and unavoidable in poker and especially PLO. The quicker you get used to them and accustomed to dealing with them, the better it will be for your long term game. It's all just one enormous session anyway.

Another thing that helps that I did recently is that if you know you're a winning player and have been for a long time then load up a lifetime graph (or as many hands as you have). This can really put things in perspective. You can look back over your past downswings and see how you overcame them and went right back to winning, and you'll see that your current downswing is a mere blip in the grand scheme of things. Don't let things get to your head and stay focused and do all the things I mentioned in this post and you will be faring much better than most players.
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Thanks very much - I really appreciate such a detailed response.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Epic post IMHO. :f_thumbsup:

Subtle tilt is way easier to fall into and way harder to pick up than the aggro forms, and prolly costs more in the long run.
    • lidibogovic
      lidibogovic
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GodlikeRoy
      If you know you are over rolled for the stakes you're playing and a -50 buyin swing isn't going to force you to struggle then you'll play better.
      is this for real? 50 BI downswing?
    • Equalibrio
      Equalibrio
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lidibogovic
      Originally posted by GodlikeRoy
      If you know you are over rolled for the stakes you're playing and a -50 buyin swing isn't going to force you to struggle then you'll play better.
      is this for real? 50 BI downswing?
      Yes, I can assure you it is!!