[NL2-NL10] Was I outplayed or did I play silly?

• asterixobelix2012
      asterixobelix2012
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.03/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $4.87
      BB:
      $2.06
      UTG1:
      $5.56
      UTG2:
      $3.20
      MP1:
      $5.15
      MP2:
      $4.10
      MP3:
      $4.49
      CO (Hero):
      $18.90
      BU:
      $1.64

MP1 Stats 13/6/2.7 415 Hands

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, Q.
      UTG1 calls $0.05, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.05, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 4 folds, MP1 calls $0.25.

Standard Raise, MP1 had just limped before me and then simply called my raise. Had a good sample on him and knew that he's a decent player so i put him on Broadways or perhaps a pocket pair.

Flop: ($0.73) J, 2, 4 (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.55, MP1 calls $0.55.

He checked so I made a standard C-Bet with my overpair. Didn't think he has JJ else he would have raised pre-flop, so anything JJ+ was already out of his range. I though the max he might have would be a nut flush draw or a set which wasn't likely. Had he had a set he would have donked or re-raised as the board was draw heavy. Heck I could have had A :spade: Q :spade: + as far as he was concerned.

Turn: ($1.83) 8 (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $1.60, MP1 raises to $3.20, Hero raises to $11.43, MP1 calls $1.10.

Turn comes out as a nice card for me. Flush draws were left hanging, straight draws, although I don't think he'd be playing such low cards against my PFR, were also left hanging. No two pair made sense on the board as he wouldn't have played shit like J8,84 or something like that. So I though my overpair is well ahead and I raised to his check and was stunned by his Re-raise. The pot was big enough and I thought he's probably trying to check if I really have something or he was perhaps trying to do something irrational with his spade flush draw that didn't complete. So lets say his range is 88,44,22,AJ,KJ,x :spade: x :spade: . No straights were possible and he wouldn't have had a two pair as the board was pretty dry and i didn't think he'd have called any shitty cards. so this scenario makes me 68.66% favorite. Even if he didn't have a flush draw and had 88,44,22,AJ,KJ even then I am a 64.46% favorite. Anyway at that time I figured him with a J pair with good kicker or a flush draw so I re raised.

SOB calls and shows AA. ?( WTF???

River: ($17.56) 9 (2 players)

Final Pot: $17.56.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of queens(Q Q).
      MP1 shows a pair of aces(A A).

Hero wins with a pair of queens(Q Q).
      MP1 wins with a pair of aces(A A).

So again was I right in my assumptions and hand ranges and he probably just outplayed me or was it a serious blunder I made?
  • 3 replies
    • Rastlin1
      Rastlin1
      Bronze
      Here is my take

I think that possibly the issue here is that the guy was short stacked - if he was 10bucks or more in his stack would you have played the same way?

Preflop I like the raise

Flop I like the Cbet

Turn is where it is interesting for me, you bet which I think is ok but then when he min raises you with a very short stack it says to me he wants a call. If he was worried about his hand he would have shoved. Also i would have put him on 22 or 44 here because of the limp preflop (never AA but there you go). If he had 10 bucks in stack and reraised you to 5 dollars would you have still shoved? I think that doing so would be overplaying your pocket pair

so for me this situation with the stack he had was fine, but the same situation against a full stack i would have leaned more towards a fold on turn after he reraises

interested to see what the judge thinks
    • asterixobelix2012
      asterixobelix2012
      Bronze
      Thanks for the analysis.

If he had a bigger stack and had he raised something like $5 then I would have convinced myself that he had a set and I would have definitely folded.

PS: He had a full stack. I was very deep. He has 100bbs.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello asterixobelix2012,

I don't like it at all, rather would just Bet ~$1,50 and fold to a raise. You will more often be behind there than win a lot money. Especially when the opponent is pretty tight-passive.

Best Regards.