[NL2-NL10] NL4; SH: K9s against fish

IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $1.49 (37.3 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $4 (100 bb)
      SB: $3.80 (95 bb)
      BB: $2.56 (64 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 K
      CO calls $0.04, Hero raises to $0.20, SB folds, BB calls $0.16, CO calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.62) 4 K Q (3 players)
      BB bets $0.04, CO calls $0.04, Hero raises to $0.52, BB folds, CO calls $0.48

Turn: ($1.70) 2 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.70) 6 (2 players)
      CO bets $0.77, Hero folds

Results: $1.70 pot ($0.11 rake)
      Final Board: 4 K Q 2 6
      CO mucked and won $1.59 ($0.87 net)
      Hero mucked 9 K and lost (-$0.72 net)

Our initial limper has the following stats:
      VP/PFR/AF/WTSD/hands 45/3/3.3/33

The BB had just sat down, but had played all of the 3 hands he was dealt so I suspect a fish.

1) Is our isoraise too loose?
      2) Is our betsizing on the flop good?
      3) What about turn and river?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanDr

The isolation was good, you were 4 handed and you had absolute position so I think it is ok. The problem is that preflop he is quite loose and that means that you can expect a call from him and play postflop.

On the flop you hit top pair (with a mediocre kicker) and face a min donk and a call. Your raise on the flop is quite standard, although the bet doesn't have to be that big (between 0.40 - 0.45 I think is enough): you only have top pair with a poor kicker and if he has notheing he will fold anyway. If you bet smaller he will be enclined to call with second or even 3rd pair.

On the turn a draw completes, but you don't allways have to put him on that draw, he could still have top pair or second pair here. Since you don't have a very strong hand yourself, a check is in order here but I would consider a call on the river on a brick. He is quite fishy and aggresive and he could bet the river as bluff, with second pair because for some reasons he could think you are weaker than you actually are, or with top pair and worse kicker.

So, I consider that your line was good till the river, where you can consider a call.
    • veriz
      Hello Avatars91,

All the lines seem to be fine here. Of course we could argue about preflop isolation but it's still fine. If you of course hit your TP you would be playing for the stacks but not on such a board what on turn comes. :) Most likely made a good fold.

Best Regards.
      Thanks for your input, guys!