[NL2-NL10] Queens in the hole facing an Ace on the flop

• pokerpanda22
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, Q.
      5 folds, MP3 raises to $0.10, Hero raises to $0.30, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.63) 8, 7, A (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.47, MP3 calls $0.47.

Turn: ($1.57) J (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.57) J (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.40, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.57.
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      Hi, pokerpanda22!

Preflop is fine. You could consider raising to 3,5x but his raise is so big already it makes 3x quite fine.

Postflop: it's not really mandatory to continuation bet on this flop since you have position (out of position I'd more likely cbet because we can't control the pot anyway). So you can check behind flop and call a bet on turn, or bet yourself if he checks again. But betting flop is fine too; I'd just bet smaller. There are not all that many hands that he can call you with (except those with an ace, and of course you want to invest as little as possible vs. those). There are not many draws in his range (even if the board is somewhat connected you can't expect him to call many 3bets with T9 or hands that could contain flush draws you even having the queen). So in a 3bet pot that is so big thanks to his big open raise can be something between 0.35~0.40.

River: the river is tricky. With such a small bet, you need to be ahead only 1 time out of 6 to break even. Problem is: do you? It would be good to have some more info on the player. As you played it, most of his hands should have folded the flop except those that have an ace.

So, yeah, I agree with you it's super tricky. It could be a thin value bet by an ace; the question is if this specific player would do this as a blockbet with some other hand like TT which we beat and called the flop because you might be bluffing.

Anyway, as we don't even know if he is capable of that, and there are not many hands we beat (any ace, any jack) I see folding as perfectly fine. I'd only call against players I already knew could be playing some 8x, 99 or TT that way and were prone to bet it since I checked the turn showing weakness. If I didn't have all those reads I think folding is best.

So... nice hand! :)