[NL2-NL10] AKo vs 3bet OOP

• ReaZoN999
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

MP2 was 17/12, with a 7.3% 3bet. Should I fold out of position in this situation? Should I 4bet fold, or just call and re-evaluate on the flop?

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP1 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, K.
      Hero raises to $0.40, MP2 raises to $1.19, 5 folds, Hero calls $0.79.

Flop: ($2.53) T, 8, 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $1.51, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.53.
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      Hi, ReaZoN999!

It does depend of course on the player we're talking about. You didn't tell us how many hands you have on him, that can make a big difference.

Also, if you have enough hands it's always good to check his 3bet by position.

Until you have further info on him and since he is 3betting you from such an early position I wouldn't mind folding. With a 7% 3bet he will have some bluffs but he's probably balanced; problem is that number is probably higher on late positions and much lower early positions.

Unfortunately, calling to play out of position is the worst option there.

If you call, you'll never play it profitably. If a K comes and he has AA you go broke anyway; if a K comes and he has QQ he will be less likely to invest. And so on, especially being out of position you'll often lose a big pot or win a small one. So calling is not good, especially out of position.

If you were only 100BB deep, 4bet/folding would be bad as after 4betting you'd be getting great odds to call his shove. But since you're deep, 4bet/folding could be an option against a good/thinking player who knows you're showing lots of strength, especially from UTG.

It then boils down do dynamics and history, if you guys had been 3betting each other too much etc. I'd say that deep folding is seldom an error; you could consider 4bet/folding but to be honest I don't think that will be profitable until he has a 3bet % of 10% or so.