How to select table ?

• PokerSharp
      PokerSharp
      Global
      I wonder if there is article about selecting table for Fixed limit hold'em ? Or can expericenced (more experienced than me) give some guidelines how to select table.

I play low limit tables (0.25/0.5 or sometimes 0.5/1.0)
  • 4 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      To be honest I think there is no need for tableselection at these limit. As I played these limits I just sat down and played until either the table break up or I had the feeling that there were to many TAGs on the table (I looked for players from germany since PS.com recruted many at that time. ;) )

I even haven't used any tools up to 0.5/1$. I started with a tool at 1/2$ and it worked fine. :)

But anyway. If you want to table select without a tool you should go for a high flop seen % which means that many players like to see a flop which means they are bad. :D (if the site you play on has this information.)
      If this sn't available the potsize could give you a hint as well (bigger = better) or the hands which are played on average (Lower = better because more people like to see more flops etc..)

If you already have PT/PA you can open the tables and PA should show you the stats of your opponents (you have to activate it somewhere). This works of course only if you have hands from them. (Mining could be required.)
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      If you play on party just search tables with as few germans as possible and you should be fine :)
    • PokerSharp
      PokerSharp
      Global
      Than you for your answer.

I have been strugggling with microlimits (below 0.25/0.5) for about 4 months and I nearly lost my $50 start bonus. Some times my session got winnings $5 but typically couple of dollars losing. My typical session was 1-2 hours and 3 tables, one or two times a week that is not much but I dont have more time.

I honestly tried to play according to PS strategy but I think reason for my lost was:

- Too many players where playing in a hand, even six and they don't fold easilly
      - I did not let go of my hand if I hand top pair top kicker (King or Ace) and there was more than one opponent
      - I don't get to play much beause in microlimits they raise alot on preflop. Sometimes flop seen % is below 10 !! (or is this just getting bad cards?)
      - I also thougth I selected the wrong tables...

Then I reloaded €50 and started to play 0.25/0.5 and sometimes 0.5/1 and those games have been good (ok only 500 hands been played, so I can't be sure).

At the beginning I played in titan poker, now I also play in Mansion. It feels like mansion is better place to play, all my sessions there have been winning. But it is hard to say because I play so few hands...
    • bananaranger
      bananaranger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PokerSharp
      I honestly tried to play according to PS strategy but I think reason for my lost was:

- Too many players where playing in a hand, even six and they don't fold easilly
      Well, the opposite is right of course. Many players with weak hole cards are willing to go to the river for a lot of money with their marginal showdownvalue -> perfect!
      I do not want to generalize too much but with six players seeing the flop it is difficult (impossible) to force all of them to fold, just valuebet (and raise) your strong hands and fold the others (oops, don't fold too much because dont forget odds and outs please).

- I did not let go of my hand if I hand top pair top kicker (King or Ace) and there was more than one opponent
      Unsure about a concrete hand? Post it here in the forum.

- I don't get to play much beause in microlimits they raise alot on preflop. Sometimes flop seen % is below 10 !! (or is this just getting bad cards?)
      I dont know.

- I also thougth I selected the wrong tables...
      Well, table selection should not be necessary these limits. Just take the first available seat.

Then I reloaded €50 and started to play 0.25/0.5 and sometimes 0.5/1 and those games have been good (ok only 500 hands been played, so I can't be sure).
      Well, I did it too. I played these limits with a $50-bankroll. Upswing to $120, downswing to $2.50. It was hard and took a long time on .05/.10 to get the money back (and it was luck not to bury the last 2.50 too).
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/250/ !!!!!