Hero (SB): $4.56
      BB: $0.60
      UTG: $2.82
      UTG+1: $2.06
      MP: $1.20 vp 30/pf 4/af 2.3/ wtsd 43/wsd 17/h 50
      MP+1: $2.00

Hero posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has A:diamond: A:spade:

fold, fold, MP calls $0.02, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.10, fold, MP calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.22, 2 players) 5:heart: 6:club: Q:diamond:
      Hero checks, MP checks

Turn: ($0.22, 2 players) 2:club:
      Hero bets $0.14, MP raises to $0.28, Hero raises to $0.54 ???, MP raises to $0.80, Hero raises to $1.06 ???, MP raises to $1.10 and is all-in, Hero calls $0.04

Hi there,

Do I overplay my aces here? I've seen him shove with TPWK before, and I've also got his stack once. So I decided to go broke here against his stacks. What about the bet sizing?

Thanks,
      cpers
  • 7 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, cpers!

As a matter of fact, you started by UNDERplaying your aces. How come you didn't bet that flop?!?!

THE most important thing is to get value from your strong hands. You accomplish this by betting, plain and simple.

Once he minraises the turn we can consider calling and calling any bet on the river. The board is connected and somewhat drawy so he can have draws as well. Not many two pairs in his range but they are possible. Of course he can have sets as well but I think he would bet them on the flop. 22 makes sense.

The thing is: once you didn't bet the flop you messed up the hand. We have no idea where you're at, and we have no idea what the guy is thinking you might have (if he is even thinking that).

Anyway, as played I'd consider calling the minraise and calling a small bet on the river. Unfortunately, we can't do much more as we beat nothing but a bluff. Reraising his minraise is bad because he might fold all his weak holdings and bluffs and will only continue with whatever beats us.

Please bet the flop :(
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      How come you didn't bet that flop?!?!
      Hi luiz,

Yeah, I understand it's unusual not to bet aces on the flop. However I've seen this guy always overplaying his top pair and went to showdown with those. So I decide to check on the flop to let him overplay his top pair. I put him on KQ,QJ,QQ-JJ,66-55,22,QT,(Q9-Q6), because that's the kind of hands he's been playing. So the 2 on the turn doesn't really scare me. On the contrary that's what made me decide to go broke. If a J or K shows up on the turn, that's another story.

Board: 5:heart: 6:club: Q:diamond:  2:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    69.57%  69.57%   0.00% { AdAs }
      MP3    30.43%  30.43%   0.00% { QQ-JJ, 66-55, 22, KQs, QTs+, KQo, QTo+ }

I know I've only seen 50 hands, so it's definitely not a solid read and all. But if you see someone's leaks during play, don't you think it's better to exploit them right away? Especially when it's an easy to fix leak like this. Because the next time you see them again, he might've fix those leaks.

Thanks,
      cpers
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello cpers,

If you think that they are overplaying their TP then why don't you just Bet yourself? :D Doesn't make sense.

As played you can Bet/Fold it on the turn, they are usually Checking behind teh nuts on the flop. :) I doubt that you gonna see a lot worse hands there. At the best we might Bet/Call while he does such a small raise but more often it's gonna be a trap anyways and we wont be able to Call the river. If he really wanted to bluff then why didn't he do that on the flop when we Checked?

Best Regards.
    • harvbucks
      harvbucks
      Bronze
      i think you definitely overplayed them on the turn...the check to raise or check to disguise the strength on the flop is fine...but when he 4 bets you on the turn he's telling you straight away that he's got a one pair hand slain....better to let it go and wait til your not guessing
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by harvbucks
      ...the check to raise or check to disguise the strength on the flop is fine...
      No it's not.

Attention to this, guys... it's very important. You don't get strong hands very often in poker; if you don't play them aggressively you won't make money (and you'll end up only winning small pots with strong hands and losing the big pots when you're beat).
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      Ok guys, I understand my line on the flop and turn is bad, now. Thanks. When I have a read like this I guess I should've bet/bet and just play passively if he gets aggressive.

Reraising his minraise is bad because he might fold all his weak holdings and bluffs and will only continue with whatever beats us.
      Veriz, this probably also one of the reason why my red-line going up, and the blue-line just going break-even :f_biggrin:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Veriz, this probably also one of the reason why my red-line going up, and the blue-line just going break-even

Well, most likely. But this ain't a spot where you gonna win a lot non-showdown winning. :D