This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL4; SH: AJo against maniac

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $15.34 (383.5 bb)
      Hero (SB): $6.84 (171 bb)
      BB: $1.86 (46.5 bb)
      UTG: $7.43 (185.8 bb)
      MP: $4.68 (117 bb)
      CO: $5 (125 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J A
      UTG raises to $0.12, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.44, BB raises to $1.86 and is all-in, UTG folds, Hero calls $1.42

Flop: ($3.84) 8 Q 7 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($3.84) J (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($3.84) 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $3.84 pot ($0.25 rake)
      Final Board: 8 Q 7 J 9
      Hero mucked J A and lost (-$1.86 net)
      BB showed Q Q and won $3.59 ($1.73 net)

Initial raiser's stats: VP/PFR/AF/Foldto3bt/hands 71/62/2.0/33%/35
      BB's stats: VP/PFR/AF/hands 23/6/0.0/11.1/35

This hand seems very misplayed to me.

I hate folding because we are so ahead of the initial raiser's range, thus I have to options - 3bet or call.

I don't like calling because we are out of position and the BB can call as well, making it a 3way pot. We would have to play check/fold too often.

I don't mind 3betting it because the initial raiser is the sort of a guy who calls with worse very often and that would also keep BB from calling thus making us HU agains the fish. I don't think that BB is 4betting there with a wide range.

I read your suggested article on Mathematical concepts and now I know how to calculate the equity we need in order to make a call profitable. Once the BB shoves and the first raiser folds we need 40% equity to call. I tried some ranges out in PS equilator and our hand is mostly garbage against his range and I honestly don't think our opponent 4bets light enough for us to call. In fact, the call from me was very terrible.

What I would like to ask you though is: do you agree with me that a 3bet there is better than a call? Because we can safely fold if BB shoves, which he shouldn't be doing too often IMO.
  • 3 replies