[NL2-NL10] NL4; SH: JJ agnst unknown

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $5.21 (130.3 bb)
      UTG: $4.58 (114.5 bb)
      Hero (MP): $5.02 (125.5 bb)
      CO: $0.92 (23 bb)
      BTN: $5.88 (147 bb)
      SB: $13 (325 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J J
      CO posts BB OOP, UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 2 folds, SB calls $0.18, BB folds

Flop: ($0.50) K 9 5 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25

Turn: ($1) 6 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

River: ($2) 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Results: $2 pot ($0.13 rake)
      Final Board: K 9 5 6 9
      Hero mucked J J and won $1.87 ($0.92 net)
      SB showed A T and lost (-$0.95 net)

Our opponent is unknown.

Preflop = standard, probably.

Postflop is tough, though. If a flushdraw wasn't possible, these would be relatively easy calls, I might guess, but with the FD it's sort of hard. Did I play it correctly?
  • 5 replies
    • harvbucks
      harvbucks
      Bronze
      looks good to me, you can't really value bet anything with this on the river....I assume your line was fold if he bets decently on the river....but good double barrell call.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Don't like it! Why don't you just raise the flop? And definitely gain fold equity, it's just horrible to play it this way like a station and not even make any weak pairs/PPs to fold.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      1) If the board was dry and with 1 overcard, would calling him down make more sense?

2) Do we really want to make him fold weaker hands? By raising we are making him fold most if not all weaker hands. He could be calling us with a FD maybe, but I think that's just about it. I think it is a waste of our hand. We are turning our made hand into a bluff, aren't we? By calling we keep all the weaker hands in the pot and can easily fold should he make bigger bets.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) If the board was dry and with 1 overcard, would calling him down make more sense?

Would also depend on the bet sizes and stuff but of course more towards calling than raising and isolating myself against better hands. On dry boards he will anyways have hard time continue with total crap.

2) Do we really want to make him fold weaker hands? By raising we are making him fold most if not all weaker hands. He could be calling us with a FD maybe, but I think that's just about it. I think it is a waste of our hand. We are turning our made hand into a bluff, aren't we? By calling we keep all the weaker hands in the pot and can easily fold should he make bigger bets.

I want him to my with his draws and find out where my hand stands. :) So I wouldn't be making those calls 3 streets. :D And can easily take a free showdown even with the raise and protect my hand.
      Bronze
      Ok, I guess it could be better.