[NL2-NL10] nl5 - KQo

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Probably well worth a standard c-bet on flop, but my thinking was the board is pretty dry and I have no intention to bet / call all three streets with top pair + good kicker. The plan was to bet turn & river if checked round flop, hoping villians may call with a larger range after flop checked.

As played villian did a lot of the work for me on the flop / turn.

On the river I figure I can get a little value out of weaker hands given play to that point wasn't showing strength.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $0.98
      Hero:
      $5.39
      BU:
      $14.41

0.03/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:spade: , Q:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, BU calls $0.18, SB folds, BB calls $0.13.

Flop: ($0.57) K:heart: , 9:diamond: , 5:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU bets $0.3, BB folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.17) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

River: ($1.17) 2:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.59, BU calls $0.59.

Final Pot: $2.35

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two-pair, kings and deuces (Ks Qh)
      BU shows (Jc 9c)

Hero wins with two-pair, kings and deuces (Ks Qh)
  • 8 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

I don't like skipping the CB while even being in multiway pot. CB yourself the flop & turn while even being OOP and protect your hand. :)

Best Regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      What am I protecting my hand against on this board?!

With top pair I can't really see 3 streets of value against worse, its not really a good enough hand to be committing most of my stack by showdown so if I bet flop & turn on river I'm block betting / checking hoping for a check back.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Philfox1985
      What am I protecting my hand against on this board?!

With top pair I can't really see 3 streets of value against worse, its not really a good enough hand to be committing most of my stack by showdown so if I bet flop & turn on river I'm block betting / checking hoping for a check back.
      1. JT/QJ/QT/78/76/68/Ax hands! Not enough?
      2. BB is loose enough, we want to find out where we stand with our hand. The way you start to play it and if BU starts to Bet big time? What's your plan? You really planning to Call him down all the streets?
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Agree with you, usually I would c-bet this flop and I think that I will again in the future.

Not sure on betting the turn though, I can't see a massive argument to be made on betting both, its one or the other for me, or drop the river bet. Ideally for me I would be happiest betting flop & river here to get value.

The reasoning is that there are not many hands in his range that can call two streets on the flop and turn. Those that can call will most likely beat us at showdown.

Since you asked though, on your questions:

1. Agree there are some hands, with some equity against us, but none of those has any more than 4 outs against us (unless I missed something).

2. I don't plan to bet or call all three streets, so ye I would have folded if he had pushed it hard enough with his hand.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      By betting we also find that out where our hand stands. If the reg starts to raise big time on such a dry board then it's very likely that we are behind.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Agreed, it is certainly far harder to guage an opponents likely range without placing a bet or two yourself.

Been playing a bit less lately and taking some time to read a poker book or two. This is the first session I had played trying to incorporate some of the ideas / themes highlighted (most I was doing already but its good to be reminded why!).

One of the big themes is that its often a standard issue for new players, or maybe even fairly experienced that hands like AK / KQ that can hit top pair often win the small pots, but lose the bigger ones if / when all the chips go in. The key lesson being to attempt to control the pot size according to the strength of the holding.

Thoughts on this, I assume you see millions of AK hands where hero busts for their stack vs straight / set?!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Yep, people just overplay AK hands or any TP type of hands. That's why I am just securing the easiest way to play it. :) Maybe I am at some point harsh at you but don't be offended, I am taking it usually in good way. At least mostly trying to be friendly but if I see something really stupid then I take more aggressive approach. :D So far you have done really great job and I am pretty sure you have seen progress in your own game as well.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Ye its a big picture that is slowly starting to come together. Given I have now played 30,000 hands and probably had half of them reviewed by you, it should be the case ;-)

For most players (myself included) having 100 BB's is actually too many to play properly when they move to cash games. Too much scope to make a really big mistake, and very likely given many players are likely used to playing ashort stack style initially, or at least I was as I switched from playing SnG's.