Getting it right preflop

• roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Have been thinking about how to improve my preflop game this week, watching vids and reading articles.

Have spent some time thinking about my hud set up this morning and I feel this set up would help me the most preflop.

vpip / pfr / hands /wtsd
      Limp fold / Limp call / Limp reraise
      3 bet / fold to 3 bet / fold to C-bet
      Steal / bb fold to steal / sb fold to steal

I'm back to playing one table at a time as I enjoy the game better, and have plenty of room for a large hud set up.

Would be great to get some feed back on this set up, I play Nl cash games, will prob be playing nl4 for a couple of weeks then moving up to nl10/nl25 over the next month or so.

Thanks

Roo
  • 6 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi Roo,

Just moved your thread to NL Beginners Discussion where I feel it's more appropriate.

I would love to offer you some advice but I'm a cash game noob so will leave you in the very capable hands of other members and possibly staff.

Good luck with your goals and hope you can beat the games in 2012 :)

Best regards,
      Gary
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper
      Have been thinking about how to improve my preflop game this week, watching vids and reading articles.

Have spent some time thinking about my hud set up this morning and I feel this set up would help me the most preflop.

vpip / pfr / hands /wtsd
      Limp fold / Limp call / Limp reraise
      3 bet / fold to 3 bet / fold to C-bet
      Steal / bb fold to steal / sb fold to steal

I'm back to playing one table at a time as I enjoy the game better, and have plenty of room for a large hud set up.

Would be great to get some feed back on this set up, I play Nl cash games, will prob be playing nl4 for a couple of weeks then moving up to nl10/nl25 over the next month or so.

Thanks

Roo
      ive been using HEM2 and it works like wonders. upgraded my old HEM.

i just use a simple hud
      name / hands/ fold to steal/ WTSD
      vpip/pfr/3bet/fold 3-bet/4bet

most of my stats are on the pop-up though for postflop tricky situations.
    • BogdanDr
      BogdanDr
      Bronze
      hey there,

Well In my opinion you definitely need some post flop stats too, beside the fold to CB and wtsd.

As for the current configuration, I feel that some stats really step on some others, for instance if you have limp fold and limp reraise you don't really need limp-call since it is the difference between 100% and the sum of the percentages of the other two. In the same time I think that you could take out limp-reraise as well since that won't happen to often and you can add it if you wand in the pop up config.

The same with your steel stats, you can reduce it to one: steal or bb fold to steal.

Regards
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanDr
      hey there,

Well In my opinion you definitely need some post flop stats too, beside the fold to CB and wtsd.

As for the current configuration, I feel that some stats really step on some others, for instance if you have limp fold and limp reraise you don't really need limp-call since it is the difference between 100% and the sum of the percentages of the other two. In the same time I think that you could take out limp-reraise as well since that won't happen to often and you can add it if you wand in the pop up config.

The same with your steel stats, you can reduce it to one: steal or bb fold to steal.

Regards
      Thanks I see the sense in this :) the reason I had all the limp combos, was i was thinking of trying to pick up dead money from limpers, or isolate bad players who limp call.
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      limp fold, limp call works well with fold to cbet

its easier to get dead money that way.

if they limp fold raise ATC.

if they limp call alot and fold to cbet alot cbet ATC :D
    • eudodo
      eudodo
      Bronze
      If you want to improve your pre flop game you can look at the program Ace Poker Drills. Just gogle it, not sure where to find it.

Your HUD seems to be very basic for me. However there are some wining players who do not use HUD at all or only use VPIP/PFR/AF. I'm just using the one from Leak Buster as it has all the extras that I need when I hoover certain stats.

Good luck in 2012!