[NL2-NL10] NL4; SH: A9s frm SB agnst shortstack steal

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $4.34 (108.5 bb)
      CO: $5.45 (136.3 bb)
      BTN: $1.48 (37 bb)
      Hero (SB): $4 (100 bb)
      BB: $5.96 (149 bb)
      UTG: $3.37 (84.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9 A
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.16, 2 folds

Results: $0.10 pot
      BTN mucked and won $0.10 ($0.06 net)

Our opponent has the following stats:
      VP/PFR/AF/StealfrmBTN/foldto3bet/hands 25/24/3.0/64/100/96

How do we defend our blinds against such a shortstack?
      I don't like 3betting because then we commit ourselves and he is probably not shoving with worse. Folding seems weak though.
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Well, you defend it when most likely you also plan to go broke. :) There is no point to 3bet and then fold vs his stack anymore unless you do it really smallish. So if he is stealing with very wide range then I'd be towards consider 3betting against him and playing for example AJ+ unless I have some other good reads/stats.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      1) Are we not being exploited? He can steal very wide with our range being so tight.

2) When we do 3bet a hand like AJo and he pushes, are we not crushed?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) Are we not being exploited? He can steal very wide with our range being so tight.

Well, I can only here say that I can't really fight back against an opponent on I don't have much of stats or any good reads. Table dynamics would be really important. If that's really true that he has been stealing so wide then I'd just 3bet and go even broke with A9. Also would depend how he reacts to 3bets. Against some might even work some sort of small 3bet vs their stack and gain the same fold equity. Some go broke really loose even with any Ax. So I can't say you the simple and easy play ever here since it would depend on so many different factors. It's one of the things you will understand yourself in long time and experience.

2) When we do 3bet a hand like AJo and he pushes, are we not crushed?

That should you ask yourself. :) What kind of range is he capable of shipping? From the stats and his play and table dynamics you can say that. I can't say that without even seeing any hands the guy played either is profitable. Some may only ship with strong made hands, some may ship with total crap. Read 1)
      Bronze
      Most of the times against such shortstacks all the information I have is that they open wide (from statistics) from BU and CO, since when they do go broke with crap, they usually lose and disappear from the table. Hence I could ask - I really like your suggested idea of 3betting smaller and seeing if I have FE against him as I usually don't have too much information on what range he 4bets me with. If we do 3bet smaller, how smaller are we talking about?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Most of the times against such shortstacks all the information I have is that they open wide (from statistics) from BU and CO, since when they do go broke with crap, they usually lose and disappear from the table. Hence I could ask - I really like your suggested idea of 3betting smaller and seeing if I have FE against him as I usually don't have too much information on what range he 4bets me with. If we do 3bet smaller, how smaller are we talking about?
      Then you should pay more attention on the table. :) It's not nothing you are going to note down, it's something you have to understand yourself what kind of opponent he is and what kind of play-style he has.

If we do 3bet smaller, how smaller are we talking about?

Before letting me all the things to do, try yourself to guess and try guessing first and then let me correct it. :)
      Bronze
      I just simply can't afford to play long enough sessions in order to get that kind of information. I'm playing on 4 tables so it is something I guess I would notice, but ok, I'll try some different raise sizes and post the results!