• PantslessPete
      Hi I'm PantslessPete, or Pete for short. I'm a 21 year old Australian student, in my final year of a Bachelor of Science majoring in Entomology. When I'm not chasing after insects or playing poker I like to read fantasy novels or play/watch Starcraft 2. Poker has always been a fun social thing for me, but would like to up my game and play it online. Money isn't a huge factor, but a little bit extra money for a student can go a long way!

LESSON 1

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I'm on holidays from uni for 3 months and need something mentally stimulating to keep my brain going. Otherwise I play videogames all holidays and then my brain is mush when I go back to study. As a student extra money would be much appreciated too!

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I get a bit cocky with my all-ins, thinking that a person has a worse hand or is just bluffing and pushing my stack in. I also need to work on my stamina and mental fortitude, either as the session goes on or I have been card dead for awhile and I start to loosen up my play significantly...a very bad idea.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Tight = choosing your hands carefully, only playing the better ones.
      Aggressive = you are the one betting and raising

So a TAG player is someone that picks his hands carefully and then bets and raises to get the best value from his hands.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Australians are lucky since they have summer right now. :D Guess there is very warm at your place as well?

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Stamina is for a lot of players something new. It's not something what you will have from the 1st moment. You have to practice and get used to it, get used to play longer sessions. Also get used to play A-game whole sessions. For example you could set a plan for yourself when you play and how much. With practice and time you will definitely get better and most likely will be able to play good enough.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Sorry for delayed answer because of the Christmas hurry.