Pokerstrategy Lessons and Articles.

• RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      Well i finally reached the bronze (i've been waiting to be able to post here)

So i've read MOST of the articles and lessons on PS.

And i would like to ask the people that has success and gone far into the world of poker.

Should we,you or the readers exactly play as they suggest ( I mean play as tight as they suggest ) or do some tweaking of our own and sometimes play with mediocre cards like Q10,Q9,K9,A7,109, 98, since they suggest not to play these cards at all , just straight out fold.. For i most notice that there is profit in the folded hands like that. because sometimes you just get NO good cards at all.

So would you suggest to try to PLAY exactly as the articles suggest or use it as a guide ???

I for one think its way too tight to play like that in a tournament because the blinds will eat you.
  • 15 replies
    • Lemonize
      Lemonize
      Bronze
      Are you talking about the SNG articles or cashgame? If so FL or NL? :)
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      I would say in general.

Since i've read both and there are similarities between the gameplay suggested in SnG and NL..

So answer is for : SnG and NL
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      I suggest that you focus on one type of poker and stick to our strategy 100%. Don't use any modified version. It's some kind of discipline.

Keep us informed about your progress! :)

Good luck!
      thunderbird56
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello RMB,

As you will notice as you move up in rank, and limits is that play changes dramatically. In the lower limits a different strategy is therefore advisable then in higher limits.

Especially in the micro-limits a tight aggresive playing style is the one that has most merit. This is why our NL strategy details a relatively tight style. Once you move up, gain better post-flop skills and perhaps switch to 6-max play, our guides also advise you to loosen up in specific situations. For the lower limits I would advise to stay away from "fancy moves" though.

Hands like Q10,Q9,K9,A7,109, 98 might look nice but can only be played profitably from certain positions. If you are calling/raising these hands UTG/Mid (some of them even in late) position you are 'throwing' away money. Without blind pressure there is no reason to play these hands.

In SNGs it is a bit different. Here we advise tight play when the blinds are low (you are not under pressure) and advise aggresive ICM play when the blinds start rising. This is definitely a strategy I would recommend sticking to (and one I follow myself).

Im sure you will receive some more feedback here - but all in all - tight is right :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      Thanks for the response.

I don't raise with (Q10,Q9,K9,A7,109, 98) i only play them if im in late position or in blind position.

hardest thing to work on is the ICM, since sometimes its the reason why I lose a final table.. But due to pressure of the blinds it might've been right.

I will only start playing now at FTP to see how people play..

btw, i did make an 4 page summary of the articles. Just for a reminder even though im no beginner.

as thunderBird said it serves as discipline.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      You downloaded and practiced with the ICM trainers a bit? :)
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      Yes, the ICM light.. haven't tried out the ICM trainer.

and im currently sucking at FTP.. x_X
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      if you are starting out on the lower limits, break your call button preflop. cover it up. send electricity up your mouse if you press it.

if you want to play those hands, the correct move is to stealraise first-in, but you shouldn't be doing that at all.

at a more advanced stage you can start playing lower pocket pairs for set value (ie play them to the flop and see if you hit 3 of a kind, then go broke) or sometimes suited connectors. but i would advise you play the ABC strategy now.

BREAK YOUR CALL BUTTON PREFLOP.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      My own experience (limited, about 5000 hands), is that whenever I stray from the strategy even with decent looking cards, I tend to lose.

Sure I may win sometimes, but I think the strategy is very stats-based, to ensure a win over many hands. So yes you may win sometimes when you stray from the strategy, but sticking to the strategy gives you the best odds of winning in the long run.

I would imagine as you progress through the ranks, it will become more important to find your own style, but in the lower limits, the strategy never does me wrong.
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      Well im not progressing in FTP, but in other platforms im doing quite great.. even though i broke the BRM for the first time.. Since in the lower limits it is not much to steal from the blinds.. so i went up to nl50... Might be luck might not be..
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      if you are starting out on the lower limits, break your call button preflop. cover it up. send electricity up your mouse if you press it.

if you want to play those hands, the correct move is to stealraise first-in, but you shouldn't be doing that at all.

at a more advanced stage you can start playing lower pocket pairs for set value (ie play them to the flop and see if you hit 3 of a kind, then go broke) or sometimes suited connectors. but i would advise you play the ABC strategy now.

BREAK YOUR CALL BUTTON PREFLOP.
      Lol. Could always delete the image from the graphics folder of w/e poker platform they're on xD

Don't ask me what happens when someone moves all in and you need to call though <.<
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      on pokerstars the call button then is placed in place of the raise button... so this is no problem :) .
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      I've been playing nl50 Different software. Not at FTP since i can't play there i keep on losing with STRONG hands. so my BR is quite low there atm.

But at the NL50 im doing great, i managed to get to 120$.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      wtf... don't play NL50 with a 120$ bankroll...
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RMB
      But at the NL50 im doing great, i managed to get to 120$.
      Actually you're playing above your bankroll. You don't have a proper bankroll for that limit until you reach $400. Therefore I strongly recommend that you move down otherwise you're facing a great possibility of getting broke.

Best regards,
      thunderbird56