To chase or not to chase?

• thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      It really can be so much fun to beat somebody, because on the river you get exactly the hand you need to complete your straight or your flush. You go all in, the other guy calls, because he has trips, two pair or another very nice hand that he can't lay down. DISCO!! you just doubled your stack.

But it can go horribly wrong as well. And somehow that seems to happen more often.

For example, while in big blind position, you get 5 and 7. You flop 6 and 8. And after that all you do is cross your fingers and yell at the screen: 4 or 9!! 4 or 9!! 4 or 9!! But no matter how hard you yell, you don't see a 4 nor a 9. Not on the turn, and not on the river either. Your money goes down the drain after another missed draw.

Do you have any idea or some good advise about when to chase a draw, and when to lay it down? Let us know your action!
  • 14 replies
    • ilikepie
      ilikepie
      Silver
      When I play SSS I deal with draws like made hands mostly, but in BSS I try to get cheapest to the made hand or fold :)

PS: Ah you mean from freeplay, draws from that sucks imo mostly :P
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thunderbird56
      all you do is cross your fingers and yell at the screen: 4 or 9!! 4 or 9!! 4 or 9!!
      Now that's not a very smart move... You've got to ask politely, talk to him/her in a nice way, you'll get your pretty river. Or if you're on Stars, send "KidPoker" (Daniel Negreanu) 0.02$, they say it activates your boomswitch.

Or, here's a crazy, crazy idea: How about calling with draws only when you get good odds? Now I know, this may sound stupid, but I heard someone say it was the profitable way to play them :rolleyes:
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      It's Simply call or fold..

the only reason why I would Call is if I KNOW that i'm on a upswing, or the bet required is minimal. It works for me like that about 40%.

If the bet is too big, I just fold.

This is where Outs and pot odds come in.

But i personally dislike Straights.. Flushes are atleast about 30%.
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      all you do is cross your fingers and yell at the screen: 4 or 9!! 4 or 9!! 4 or 9!!
      Now that's not a very smart move... You've got to ask politely, talk to him/her in a nice way, you'll get your pretty river. Or if you're on Stars, send "KidPoker" (Daniel Negreanu) 0.02$, they say it activates your boomswitch.

..very good advices! :D
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      i don't mind the odds so much as "wow at that bet, i think opponent figures he is strong right now. if i hit i stack him".

then i will calculate the implied odds based on my effective stack and base it on that... you rarely get the pot odds to draw in NL.
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      [/quote]For example, while in big blind position, you get 5 and 7. You flop 6 and 8. And after that all you do is cross your fingers and yell at the screen: 4 or 9!! 4 or 9!! 4 or 9!![/quote]

sounds like you have done this before TBird :D

I have :)
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      For example, while in big blind position, you get 5 and 7. You flop 6 and 8. And after that all you do is cross your fingers and yell at the screen: 4 or 9!! 4 or 9!! 4 or 9!!
      I usually yell at the screen when I want someone to fold. Fold!!!!!!!! And it's just one quick, loud yell, works like a charm :D

And it works even better in live games, you just yell fold at the guy and he falls of his sit and drops the cards :D :D :D :D :D
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      Be or not to be ,that is the question? No question at all.Have you heard about draw odds and pot odds,there`re some articles even for bronze like me.Or maybe I`m mistaken by PS ,there is no need for odds anymore-use SB rugby twilight strategy where is not many odds.Howard Lederer once said ,that the board is deaf and has no memory.Maybe you have seen last Poker Den when aggressive Tony G was on nut flush draw and Robert Williamson III on 2 pairs-he did more than pot size bet to do pot odds unfavorable and even TonyG folded.In the same series lady`s Luck spit Kasey Thompson broke cos didn`t bother with pot odds.I like see pros videos and at the beginning always was amazed how they stick to odds in cash games especially. :) :D :D
    • Marivs
      Marivs
      Bronze
      My experience with draws is - when I'm chasing the other guy isn't a fish and will bet at least potsize which usually means you don't get the odds and if the odds are semi decent (because of implied odds) and I call I really really seldom get the flush/straight
      BUT... when someone else is chasing and I try to protect my set for instance and I bet >potsize all the fish will cold call on the flop and on the turn and ofcourse hit the river and I loose half a stack or more :evil:

It's kinda like the "chances of being dealt AA - 0,5%; chances someone else was dealt AA when I was dealt KK - 50%" experience :P
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      You also have to consider, if there there are other draws, that would beat you and give you reverse implied odds. And WHEN you call against the odds because you think your opponent is a calling imo you should nearly always play in position. And when you hit the nuts on the turn you shouldn't always slowplay, because you want to build a pot and get your opponent all in. On 2 Paired boards I would NEVER all down a draw. You also have to be carfull, which Straight or flushdraw you have. When you've got the idiot straight draw you shouldn't call too much. With the flushdraw it's even worse because the flush is so obvious and much players will often fold their Hands because you played so passiv and became agressiv when the flush came. SO when your Opponent reraises when you ahve a bad flush you shouldn't always shove it, because he probably has the better flush.

Anyway, this is extremely situational. You can have diffirent actions in diffirent situations, depending on pot odds, opponets, board, ect,..

Best regards,
      thunderbird56
    • Glazenburg
      Glazenburg
      Bronze
      Go All-in and close your eyes for like 4 minutes... and make sure you have auto rebuy enabled. Excellent results!

I never saw myself losing a hand that way, and sometimes without notice (have to put your sound off) your stack has doubled up :P

Try it yourself
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Glazenburg
      Go All-in and close your eyes for like 4 minutes... and make sure you have auto rebuy enabled. Excellent results!

I'm afraid you will kill your bankroll that way. :D

It's like playing lottos. :D

Best regards,
      thunderbird56
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      You may want to work out a dance for getting right cards. Like when you want heart then you do robo disco, when you want spades then you do jumpstyle etc... Yelling works like a charm too!
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      i like to wiggle my fingers at the screen :D

hey can anyone tell me how to compute for implied odds?