Which limits should I move to?

• Tunatic
      So, until a few days ago I have been playing NL4 on Bwin, with a bankroll of about $100. I wouldn't really care that much if I lost that, but a few days ago I won quite a big tournament and cashed a bit over $700. I've already withdrawn all the money, and now I deposited $550 of it to Will Hill.

Obviously, I'm done with NL4, as I could easily beat that limit. I want to move on to bigger, better things now :s_cool:

And now, it would hurt a lot if I lost the whole $550. So I'm wondering if I should skip the limits and can move on to NL20 already? I already tried playing around 600 hands, and won $40, but I doubt it's going to go on like this. So, am I putting my bankroll at a huge risk if I play NL20? Should I try beating NL10 first, even though my bankroll is (theoretically) large enough to play NL20?
  • 5 replies
    • gadget51
      Hi Tunatic, congrats on the win!

My personal preference woud be to play nl10 until I felt comfortable with the bigger pot sizes, different player types, my game improved, etc.
      Once I achieved this and felt I was doing well I would set aside a few buyins - say 5 maybe? - and take shots at nl20.

Just my conservative way of doing it though.

• luizsilveira
      I'd say: don't go up a limit until you have 40k hands steadily winning on the one you're playing at.

So don't move to NL20 until you have at least 40k hands at nL10 with a consistent winrate.
    • Tunatic
      Great suggestions, both of you, much appreciated.
    • EmanuelC16
      If you are prepared to move down if required, play NL25-NL30 imo. But you have to set yourself strict loss limits and you have to not be mentally affected by moving down.

If you can't handle moving down, start at NL10 like the others suggested. :)
    • lynius
      Remember the 25 buy-in rule.

Besides that, do what feels right and is fun. You're more than free to mix up between NL10 and NL20.

Make sure you don't begin chasing any loses, major tilt, or believe yourself to be invincible - mindset issues basically.

Well done on the cash, and enjoy :)