feverfew

• feverfew
      feverfew
      Bronze
      Hello. I'm fairly new to poker. I'm from Canada and am in university. I'm quite excited to hang out here and learn how to be a better poker player.
  • 8 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck feverfew,

Hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can now start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards. Sorry for delayed answer because of the Christmas hurry.
    • feverfew
      feverfew
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

To make money. Ideally, I'd like to be able to supplement my other income. Also, I enjoy the challenge and it's, but mainly to make money.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

Too many, I'm sure. Playing while tired is definitely one of my weaknesses. I am working on not playing anymore, except when I'm fully alert. I also play too loosely, I think. I play too many hands, and stray from the starting hands chart too much. Another weakness, I have a hard time folding a hand once I've entered the pot. I think I need to fold more often. Tilt usually isn't a problem, only occasionally.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

It means to play only hands that have good potential to earn money, and playing them aggressively, being the raiser, not the caller. It works because most players at low levels are loose and passive, and because being aggressive when you have the best hand is profitable.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Playing tired can cause a lot problems. Usually you are moody when tired and get easily angry. Which means you get easily tilty that brings towards you playing less your A-game. You have to find a way to adjust to that. For example against tilt:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • feverfew
      feverfew
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

A few things. I would raise more loosely from the Button, when no one has raised before me. Hands like K9, Q9, or some off-suit A9 and lower hands, especially if the blinds are very tight. I would also limp less hands, like pocket pairs, and face cards, and rather just raise them or fold them.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

I think my preflop play is getting better, but sometimes I still do stupid moves and call with weak hands, or overplay medium hands. Not sure if its ok, but sometimes I 3bet AQs, AJs from the blinds, especially against CO or BTN.

NL4, fr, AQs

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

46.32%
      This surprised me a little bit. I think this means that it's not profitable to shove AKo against most 3bets . . .?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. Against specific opponents we adjust, either wider range or tighter range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands. As for example stealing too many hands from SB and being out of position.

Limping should be rather avoided cause clearly we ain't gonna earn huge profit with it. Especially avoid doing that with strong hands as some people have stupid habit to limp/raise with KK/AA. Very easy to understand with what you are doing it.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • feverfew
      feverfew
      Bronze
      Question 0: Download and install the Equilab.

Done. With difficulty, as I'm on a mac, but done.

Question 1: You are holding KsQs. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3c3d? How does the equity change on this flop: Js5d3s?

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Board: 5dJs3s

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
UTG: $2.00
UTG+1: $2.08
MP1: $1.92
MP2: $1.00
MP3: $3.06
CO: (Hero) $2.08
BU: $2.00
SB: $2.00
BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

With only .22 cents to call, we are getting odds of 4.14:1, which is enough to call with the nut flush draw. We also have a gutshot, but it might not even be the highest straight. I guess we could also discount 2 outs (6c, 3c), because it could make full house possible, especially since a set seems quite possible here. With discounted outs, implied odds says we need .41 more cents, which I think we could get from the opponent even if another club turns up. Call.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

So many questions.
      NL2, fr, AQo
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello,

My name is Bogdan and I am the coach that will be taking over this section (from Veriz).

Before the end of the week I will be able to come in this thread and respond to you. Please stay tuned :)

Best regards.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by feverfew
      Question 0: Download and install the Equilab.

Done. With difficulty, as I'm on a mac, but done.

Question 1: You are holding KsQs. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3c3d? How does the equity change on this flop: Js5d3s?

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Board: 5dJs3s

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

Looks good.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
UTG: $2.00
UTG+1: $2.08
MP1: $1.92
MP2: $1.00
MP3: $3.06
CO: (Hero) $2.08
BU: $2.00
SB: $2.00
BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

With only .22 cents to call, we are getting odds of 4.14:1, which is enough to call with the nut flush draw. We also have a gutshot, but it might not even be the highest straight. I guess we could also discount 2 outs (6c, 3c), because it could make full house possible, especially since a set seems quite possible here. With discounted outs, implied odds says we need .41 more cents, which I think we could get from the opponent even if another club turns up. Call.
      Well said. We can also add that we have the back door flush which villain many not give us credit for and thus pay off lighter (so implied odds increase).

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

So many questions.
      NL2, fr, AQo
      I do recommend that anytime you have a question or unsure about your hand to try and post it to the hand evaluation forums. Before you post the hands you can also try to analyze it yourself and let us know what you were thinking (as opposed to just posting the hand).

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.