What would you do Scenarios

• germany5590
      germany5590
      Basic
      He friends,

i was discussing with my mates last night what you would do in different scenerios (most of the unrealistic of course). I will just be posting them as we discuss them.

The first one we had last night was: Say you are playing in your very first Main Event. You have saved up every penny to pay for the flights out there and to pay for the buy in. You get there and start playing and the first hand you get is Aces on the big blind. Now the unrealistic part: Say everyone at the table has pushed all in before you, do you call or fold?

Please no hating on me (it is obviously never ever ever going to happen, but I would just like to see what most people would do if that happened and they were facing a situation like that).
  • 21 replies
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Cracked open equilab, against 8 random cards you have a +33% chance of winning.

Against all with 10% ranges you have a +25% chance of winning.

So I guess it'd be a call.
    • sausage646
      sausage646
      Bronze
      SHIP IT :D don't give sht about coolers =] at least I will have cool story and cameras on me ^__^
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Ship it. This isn't a onetable sit n go in which folding would be better.

It's a tournament so you need to accumulate a huge amount of chips anyway. So even if your still very deep. If it's a good spot to get it in then why not? Unless you have a huge edge on that table/tournament then you could fold if the structure was good.

(Personally i like to calculate how many chips is the average once we get ITM. So i know around what stack i want to keep my chips at. If i know i need 10x the amount of chips i have now to reach the money then i'm not afraid to gamble)
    • TakeManies
      TakeManies
      Bronze
      SNAP CALL :)
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      if you're serious about poker, have better bank roll management. Maybe buy in to a satellite instead of putting in your entire roll in one MTT.

With that said, call!

Since this is pretty much a lottery situation for you, why not gamble with the best hand possible?
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Call, close your eyes and hope for the best..
    • iFortunatus
      iFortunatus
      Bronze
      I'd call that all day long! it would be a sign from god to get that, so i'd call, and before the flop come out i'd have one hand under the table having a sneaky tommy tank =]
    • stripofbacon
      stripofbacon
      Bronze
      Yeah, this question have been asked like a million times in poker community i think :D
      And almost always old school live pros said that they would fold aces in this particular situation just because they feel that they have a big edge over the field.
      I completely understand what they are thinking but it would be -EV move to fold aces there.
    • germany5590
      germany5590
      Basic
      The reason I think I would fold is because... say everyone is playing for their tournament live. Of course you have the best hand, but say everyone really goes all in (9-handed) you are most likely to be up against hands like: KK, QQ, JJ, AK, AQ, 10, 99 and maybe 88 or AJ. Isn't it better to fold knowing that 2 of the other players have your outs to hit a set and the likely hood of the other pocket pairs hitting a set is a lot higher. Obviously if you go by the maths its a must call, but I think for my tournament life i wouldn't do it.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      I LOVE these scenarios, used to do it all the time with housemates at university.

Moarrrrrrr..
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Fold and wait for a better starting hand :)
    • zamoda
      zamoda
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper
      Fold and wait for a better starting hand :)
      Helmuth, is that you?
    • GraemeDR
      GraemeDR
      Bronze
      I'd fold. Let some people knock each other out, if everyone is all in someone will out draw any pocket pair, it's only the first hand so I've for days of play ahead of me. You can't win a tournament in the first hand, you can lose it though.
    • SRBSavic1
      SRBSavic1
      Bronze
      fold 2. place is good!
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Fold and wait for a better time to accumulate chips.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Depends on the buyin.

If if it was a tourney i could afford without much damage, instant call.

But if it were the WSOP Main Event for 10k, thats a SERIOUS amoutn for me. so i'd have to fold, getting knocked out in the first 5 minutes would kill me lol
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness
      I'd probably Fold.

If it was a small tourney, Instant Call. But you've saved ALL YEAR for this one event, i'd be hanging myself if i didn't even last longer than 5 minutes..
      Look, you'll either gonna be chip leader in the fucking main event and will be in great shape to make some solid run or you will be gone in first hand and still make the tv cut. Or you will fold, everyone will consider you to be the biggest nit ever and you'll still have your starting stack. Then you will be card dead for 10 hours, get it in with 22 vs AK and flip for the $10k anyway. You go.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Depends on the buyin.

But if it were the WSOP Main Event for 10k, thats a SERIOUS amoutn for me. so i'd have to fold, getting knocked out in the first 5 minutes would kill me lol
      first mistake is playing the event in the first place.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by elhh82
      Depends on the buyin.

first mistake is playing the event in the first place.
      Yes, but thats part of the scenario, or at least i'd assume, were not talking about a small buyin? ...

I wouldn't be joining an event i couldn't afford.