WpgJets

• 8 replies
    • WpgJets
      WpgJets
      Bronze
      Hi – My name is Greg and I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. My username, WpgJets, is short for the Winnipeg Jets, our city's new NHL hockey team. Both my wife and I are fans.

I've been playing NL Freeroll tournaments (with 500 to 20,000 starting players) at various poker rooms for the past couple of years with varying success. I have made it to the final table in some of these. I've found that discipline and luck seem to be the two key ingredients. Neither alone seems to be enough – you have to have both at the same time to win.

I've also played some low limit cash games and S&Gs, but without any consistent success. I'm reluctant to invest my own cash (so far I've been using my winnings from freerolls as my bankroll) in poker till I'm confident that I really know what I'm doing. Part of getting to that point is to complete this course.
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      welcome greg! i'm from winnipeg too (kinda, just outside the perimeter) as well as being a diehard jets fan.

feel free to wander into the rest of the forum too!
    • WpgJets
      WpgJets
      Bronze
      Does it take a while before I can get access to the Coaching Calendar? Whenever I click on the link on the "NL Beginners Course Coaching Calendar" link I get an "Access Denied" message.
    • WpgJets
      WpgJets
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wasy8
      welcome greg! i'm from winnipeg too (kinda, just outside the perimeter) as well as being a diehard jets fan.

feel free to wander into the rest of the forum too!
      Hi wasy8 - small world isn't it.
    • WpgJets
      WpgJets
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? – Lots of reasons, but in the end all will be realized if I can succeed in getting to the point where I am systematically earning $10,000/month playing poker.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? – Not knowing when to hold and when to fold. Becoming too attached to my cards.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? – playing only the best hands (tight) and betting on them to win (aggressive).
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust somehow against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • WpgJets
      WpgJets
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

When playing against an opponent (in the blinds, and also one out-of-position limper if there is one) who is likely to fold pre-flop, or on a continuation bet post-flop, you can raise from late position (BU or CO) with: suited one-gappers (4-6 or better, off-suited connectors (4-5 or better), off-suited Aces, and suited kings. If in CO, then the player on the BU would also have to be likely to fold.

The thinking is that unless the opponents have very good starting cards, a reasonable (tight) player would fold to a raise since he is out of position. This makes for an easy win if they do fold, but also leaves me with somewhat playable cards if they call. If he calls just to see the flop, again a reasonable player will fold to a c-bet on the flop unless he hit.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I'm not sure that I played the following hand correctly. My questions are in the hand posting:

NL2 - Both players start with A9 suited. Result: Split Pot, two pair Aces & Queens each.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

46.3% according to Equilab (Enumerate all).
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.