This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Blind defence: NL10 SH AJ

• SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($28.37)
      BB ($11.83)
      UTG ($10)
      CO ($10.25)
      BTN ($10)

Dealt to Hero A:diamond: J:spade:

fold, CO raises to $0.40, fold, Hero calls $0.35, fold

FLOP ($0.90) 5:club: 5:spade: Q:heart:

Hero checks, CO bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

TURN ($1.90) 5:club: 5:spade: Q:heart: Q:diamond:

Hero checks, CO checks

RIVER ($1.90) 5:club: 5:spade: Q:heart: Q:diamond: T:club:

Hero checks, CO checks

14/12/4.2
      steal from CO 16
      fold to resteal 58
      fold to cbet in 3bet pots 50
      4bet 9
      cbet 72
      cbet turn 21
      wtsd 25
      w$sd 61

hands 2.6K

He does not fold to 3bets, so I guess I can expoit his small turn cbet even OOP.

On turn - I thought my bluff should not work, he would have to believe that I have Q, so I tried to go to cheap sd.
  • 3 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, SPeedFANat1c.

Interesting hand. I didn't get your questions about 3bet OR turn cbet since none of those happened in the hand.

I don't think there is much value in bluffing turn since he have probably the best unpaired hand - and he shouldn't fold any pairs to your bluff. Only hand that beats us is AK.

Going to showdown is fine; it's a bit of a shame he might play 22-44 like that as well, as well as 66-99. We can go on and bet the river strong, like pot or close to pot, so he lets go of all his small pairs, but that's not so big a deal and it's very opponent dependant of course.

Let me see something, for the exercise.

A 16% range can look like this: 66+,A7s+,A5s,K9s+,Q9s+,JTs,ATo+,KTo+,QJo

Meh, probably not. How can this guy be so tight?? Anyway, he's probably opening all pockets so lets give him this:

22+,A9s+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KTo+,QJo

Out of that, we beat only 1,8% (A9s,KJs,QJs,KJo); in other words, we're ahead only 1/9 of the time against his damn tight range. At those times it doesn't matter if we bet or not since he'll likely fold if we bet anyway.

He has 3,6% of hands with a T (JJ-TT,ATs,KTs,QTs,JTs,ATo,KTo) with which he would likely bluff catch, plus maybe JJ that went for pot control on the turn. Maybe we can even give him 1% more for KK/AA since he cbets so low on the turn but maybe he would cbet those.

22-44 and 66-99 are 3,1%.

All in all it's a very close spot. I don't assume he'll fold all of those pockets all the time, and we would have to make that assumption to make a pot bet profitable - considering he didn't slowplay a Q on the turn obviously, and it is actually plausible he would since he is turn passive and there is not much he can extract from.

We could maybe find a smaller bet that needs to work less than 50% of the time but still... probably not very profitable anyway

I think you played the hand fine but it's clear that we won't win the showdown very often.

So all in all, I even think AJo might be a fold against this particular guy. It seems weak but:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    49.92%  46.65%   3.27% { 22+, A9s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QJo }
      MP3    50.08%  46.82%   3.27% { AJo }

And we will very rarely win a decent pot out of position against him or his range, but we can very well lose the big ones since AJ has a bit of a bad playability vs his range.

Since he's not stealing us often anyway (16%) we don't need to fear being "exploited" by blind steal at all.

That's what I think, feel free to disagree. :)
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      Ok, then vs him, just fold AJ there and not get into situations like this, is OOP I must have equity advantage if I call to compensate positional disadvantage and the equity advandate almost don't exist there.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      Ok, then vs him, just fold AJ there and not get into situations like this, is OOP I must have equity advantage if I call to compensate positional disadvantage and the equity advandate almost don't exist there.
      There you go.

Playability also counts; it's good to have hands with both equity AND the possibility of winning a massive pot.

So medium pairs 99-JJ are quite good (both equity-wise and for sets) and medium suited aces like AJ/AQ are ok for a call. At least every once in a while you'll win a nice pot. With AJo you'll win the small ones and lose the big ones when he has a better ace etc.