MTT playing styles

• gemgem69
      I was thinking today what is the most successful way of playing mtts. If you look at your pros you have your loose aggressive players like Ivey, negreneau. Then you have your tight players that are successful mtts players like Ferguson and Cunningham.

What do people think is the most consistant style of play.

I personally have tried both and find that loose aggressive gets me further in massive mtts like on stars where you can have 6000 runners. I also like to raise it up regulary and get the tables play centered around me where I find my self involved in many pots. I generally make lots of good decisions and gain a large stack early on which I just sit on. Sit tight and when the blinds raise more i can apply pressure on short stacks more.

after 20 mtts playing like this I have
      finished first in a 180 ppl $4 mtt NLHE
      1st $5 rebuy 175ppl NLHE
      1st $10 93 ppl pot limit holdem
      2nd $10 100 ppl NLHE
      9th $20 180 ppl HLHE
      81st $5 rebuy 1buy in 2500 ppl NLHE
      5th 495 ppl $3 HORSE
      2nd freeroll Stud hi/lo 6200 ppl (not really relevant but I played it aggressively)
      23rd limit holdem 200pp 2230ppl

..The rest were all none finishers. I have been playing mtts with my dad for ages and we played tight but never really got any where. Now I play on my own I've took up a looser stlye, one day I hope to play as well as Annette Obrestad which is who I base my play on. Mainly positional play.

What do people think is the most consistant style of play from theier own experiences?
  • 2 replies
    • swissmoumout
      there's a small thread debating LAG vs TAG in tournaments here: MTT >300 players - some hints

there are a few things that don't work in all tournaments though, like loosening up a lot on the bubble - in the micro-stakes most players have no clue about bubble play, so there's a good chance they won't play any tighter

But other than that, I recommend you buy a book or two. Not sure which ones are best, but I'm sure most people around here know a few.

btw 20 tourneys about 2% of the way to a decent sample size ;) In the meantime just read articles or books or whatever and post hands, it's the best way to find leaks
    • chenny8888
      actually swiss, from startracker, a fairly accurate (by no means totally accurate) sample size is around 10x the participants.

so if you wanted to test a strategy for 2000-player tournaments, results start to matter after 20,000 games

post some hands. i much prefer LAG myself