• Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      min-raise
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      The Minimum.

I believe its the different between The last bet, and the raise.

Say im on BB ($0.06)
      Someone raises to $0.21
      A min raise would be $0.21-$0.06 = $0.15
      So, Thier initial raise of $0.21 + The difference between the last two bets of $0.15, makes $0.36 a Min Raise.

If there are no Bets, it is +1BB as you say.

I'm not 100% sure, but its something along those lines :P
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      When you just click the "raise" button without even looking at how much you are raising - you are minraising.
    • WpgJets
      WpgJets
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone. The glossary entry doesn't go beyond referring to a BB amount, which isn't really much help. Matt's example above seems to hold true according to what the PartyPoker bet slider will allow you to do.

However, unless I'm misunderstanding, it doesn't agree with Example 4 near the end of the No-Limit Big Stack Strategy lesson, How to Play Before the Flop at: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1535/1/.

In that example the player on the BB already has 2 cents in the pot and the player on the button added 6 cents to the pot (for a total of 8 cents now in the pot). Wouldn't a min-raise to that then be 14 cents for the player on the BB, rather than the 16 cents that the example uses?

I've copied the example below:

EXAMPLE 4 - A MIN-RAISE AFTER YOU
      Limit NL 2 $0.01/$0.02 (big blind = $0.02)

Your hand A :club: 8 :club:

Position BU (Button, late position)

Situation: You are on the Button, meaning you are the dealer. Everyone before you folds. The Starting Hands Chart says to raise. You raise to $0.08, but the player in the Big Blind doesn't want to play along and raises to $0.16.

In this example you are confronted with a min-raise. Normally you would just fold A8s when someone raises after you, but the rules say you should always call when an opponent min-raises after you.

Take a look at the flop. You have position on your opponent, and your hand isn't all that bad. Just don't play for a big pot if all you hit is a pair of aces or eights.
    • musashi87
      musashi87
      Gold
      Originally posted by WpgJets
      Thanks everyone. The glossary entry doesn't go beyond referring to a BB amount, which isn't really much help. Matt's example above seems to hold true according to what the PartyPoker bet slider will allow you to do.

However, unless I'm misunderstanding, it doesn't agree with Example 4 near the end of the No-Limit Big Stack Strategy lesson, How to Play Before the Flop at: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1535/1/.

In that example the player on the BB already has 2 cents in the pot and the player on the button added 6 cents to the pot (for a total of 8 cents now in the pot). Wouldn't a min-raise to that then be 14 cents for the player on the BB, rather than the 16 cents that the example uses?

I've copied the example below:

EXAMPLE 4 - A MIN-RAISE AFTER YOU
      Limit NL 2 $0.01/$0.02 (big blind = $0.02)

Your hand A :club: 8 :club:

Position BU (Button, late position)

Situation: You are on the Button, meaning you are the dealer. Everyone before you folds. The Starting Hands Chart says to raise. You raise to $0.08, but the player in the Big Blind doesn't want to play along and raises to $0.16.

In this example you are confronted with a min-raise. Normally you would just fold A8s when someone raises after you, but the rules say you should always call when an opponent min-raises after you.

Take a look at the flop. You have position on your opponent, and your hand isn't all that bad. Just don't play for a big pot if all you hit is a pair of aces or eights.
      in that example you rise from 0c to 8c so next possible minimum rise is 8c+(8c-0c)=16c

minrise = rise of the same amount as previous rise
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      That article has error in it or writer has not referred with min-raise to actual minimum size, but just says that raise is just small. Minimum open raise is always to 2bb as long as player has more than 2bb in his stack. Minimum reraise size is same as previous raise part that adds over call amount. So Wpgjets got it right, to 7bb would be minimum reraise size.