MrMardyBum

• MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Hello,

I thought as I am in a reflective, positive and sane mood I'd give this course a try, at first when I looked here I just wanted to be on a video and scoffed at the thought of sitting in a beginners course, however it seems I was quick to judge and quicker to fail due to overestimating my abilities. So here I am with humble pie in hand and giving this a try.

My name's Danny, and as you can tell from my avatar I am a moderator here at pokerstrategy and I feel happy to be able to give something back to the community that has taught me a lot in the past. Apart from being a moderator I am the bar supervisor of a very successful little nightclub here in my home town of Swindon, that regularly hosts big names (Nero and Kissy Sellout spring to mind), I like my job and also like being in charge! Although, I am an extremely easy going guy so my staff still treat me as just one of them, but give me respect when I ask them to do things. Which I think is the best way.

I've loved the game of Poker for at least 8 years, starting with Poker After Dark, and have had a few shots at trying to build a roll and make some kind of small income from it. I have had minor successes in over the past 2 years, but in the present I have just hit an all time low which caused me to question whether or not I have any natural ability in this game.

Myself, when helping others my poker knowledge (I think) is pretty extensive, I do however have some major issues applying knowledge to my own game. So I come here to start again and hopefully build better foundations on which to progress further.

At a risk of putting this post in the tl;dr category, so I will leave it there for now.

All the best,

MMB
  • 5 replies
    • mscondominator
      mscondominator
      Bronze
      Aww mardy! we still need to do our sweat session. And an all time low? what happened???
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mscondominator
      Aww mardy! we still need to do our sweat session. And an all time low? what happened???
      We do need to do our sweat session, but you never seem to be on Skype!

And as for all time low I may of been a bit melodramatic, but basically I failed my test run at NL25 and then proceeded to drop down through the limits and ended up with a roll for NL5... But there you go, it happens and I'm sure this will not be the worst thing I face in Poker. Anyway, onwards and hopefully upwards. :pokerface:
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

My motivation for playing poker is to supplement my income from a hobby and maybe one day make it a full time occupation and break away from the standard working life.
      The evolution of the game is something that also fascinates me. The constant changing styles and player pools makes sure that Poker will forever be changing and therefore, will constantly challenge me to do better, and not let the experience become stale and monotonous.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Oh god - Where do I start?!

I think the biggest and most problematic weakness I show is that after a run of 3 -4 losing sessions my confidence takes a very hard knock and I really struggle to shake this off and slowly my motivation starts to deteriorate.

I have a hard time believing that fish have a hand, and very often call them down to light.

My post-flop game needs tuning for sure, I think my biggest problem areas are the Turn, and no as much but also slight river issues.

I don't play as straight forward as I should given the limits I am currently playing.

I do probably have a lot more but these are my weakest points.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

To play TAG you are selecting the best range starting hands that are going to (in the long run) show the most profit, and when playing these hands you play aggressive and value bet your good hands, whilst protecting the weaker hands (Small PP etc.) against an opponents inferior range and/or against a board that doesn't hit your opponents range.

When playing in a TAG style you have to be able to assign a realistic range to your opponents to play this style effectively.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Grr at the coaching times!!!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

I think the biggest and most problematic weakness I show is that after a run of 3 -4 losing sessions my confidence takes a very hard knock and I really struggle to shake this off and slowly my motivation starts to deteriorate.

Most likely you also have tilt problems. After loosing so many BIs a lot do. Do you also adjust to it for example with stop-loss?

I have a hard time believing that fish have a hand, and very often call them down to light.

Common problem, people just over-think that fish can't have a hand. But usually take into account that fish is a passive player. Would he ever even raise any TP type of hands? Rather nope, he would play it passively. If you have hard decision then rather take the passive approach.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

I don't play as straight forward as I should given the limits I am currently playing.

It's not a huge problem, especially if you are more experienced player. :) You can even learn in smaller stakes from your mistakes and maybe being not so straight forward player. But of course you have to make adjustments to it as well and watch our leaks.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.