Poker books

• carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      Hi guys! I've been around 2+2 forum looking for opinions on poker books... But I find it very messy because there are a lot of members just trolling around there, so I prefer to ask here on PS, where I trust most of the members :D

I play cash almost exclusive, just try one or two mtt sometimes. This is my wishlist for 2012:

Harrington on Cash Games Volume 1
      Harrington on Cash Games Volume 2
      Harrington on Online Cash Games: 6-Max No-Limit Hold 'em
      Inside The Poker Mind
      Harrington on Hold'em (são 3 volumes, e só os incluo aqui porque dizem ser de leitura obrigatoria, uma vez que são mais para jogadores de torneios e eu praticamente só jogo cash)
      No Limit Hold'em Theory and Practice
      Professional No Limit Hold'em Volume 1
      Psychology Of Poker
      The Intelligent Poker Player
      The Theory Of Poker

They are not in any sort of order :s_biggrin:

Can you give me your opinion about some (or all) this books? ;)
  • 21 replies
    • carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      anyone?
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      drop Harrington on Cash Games vol 1 and 2 because they are aimed at live players. Do you play live ? If not, then no need for them right now

this is a very ok book for a beginner, everything you need to go up to NL50 right here.

good book

a more advanced book, no need for it if you play below NL100

The Theory Of Poker
      start with this one
      then
      Harrington on online cash games
      The Poker Blueprint

Have at least 40 buy-ins for the stake you are playing

play a maximum of 6 tables

reach NL100 then come and ask again :P
    • carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bmfbpi
      drop Harrington on Cash Games vol 1 and 2 because they are aimed at live players. Do you play live ? If not, then no need for them right now

this is a very ok book for a beginner, everything you need to go up to NL50 right here.

good book

The Theory Of Poker
      start with this one
      then
      The Poker Blueprint

thanks for the info :D

Just waiting for more opinions...
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I've moved this to the Poker Media forum, it may get a wider response there, ok?

Regards,

Mal.
    • carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Hi all,

I've moved this to the Poker Media forum, it may get a wider response there, ok?

Regards,

Mal.
      Ok, thanks!
    • antstruk
      antstruk
      Bronze

good book

The Theory Of Poker
      start with this one
      then
      The Poker Blueprint

Solid Post, thank you very much :)
    • carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      I'd like to have more opinions before buying... :D
    • kiiyan
      kiiyan
      Bronze
      I can't emphasize enough how much this book helped me
    • carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kiiyan
      I can't emphasize enough how much this book helped me
      I've heard very nice things about it! And what do you think about Harrington on Holdem? I've been told that it's useful even if the reader doesn't play mtt's :)
    • LegionP
      LegionP
      Bronze
      Originally posted by carrapa
      I've heard very nice things about it! And what do you think about Harrington on Holdem? I've been told that it's useful even if the reader doesn't play mtt's :)
      All this books are total crap. Maybe "Harrington on Hold'em" could give you couple of tips how to play in MTT or give you understanding how other fishregs plays (who already read this book).
      And I do not suggest spend time to read all of them. For begginer NL player I suggest "Poker Blueprint" by Tri Nguyen. More advanced player should look for "The NL Workbook" by the same author.
      For FL player no better reading than FL articles from PS.
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LegionP
      Originally posted by carrapa
      All this books are total crap. Maybe "Harrington on Hold'em" could give you couple of tips how to play in MTT or give you understanding how other fishregs plays (who already read this book).
      And I do not suggest spend time to read all of them. For begginer NL player I suggest "Poker Blueprint" by Tri Nguyen. More advanced player should look for "The NL Workbook" by the same author.
      For FL player no better reading than FL articles from PS.
      sorry but your post is way off.

harrington on online 6max cash games is a very ok book for beginners, and it is the most comprehensive book on online 6max(including HUD descriptions etc).

You say all these books are total crap. Clearly you have not read them.

Theory of Poker is a classic, and should be read by anyone interested in poker.

you will be overwhelmed with the poker blueprint if you don't read harrington on online 6max first. The information in blueprint goes perfectly after reading harrington because you are more knowledgeable.

Nl holdem theory and practice is written by two of the greatest authors and theorists in poker with concrete examples and explanations of thought processes.

Professional no limit holdem is a masterpiece. Have you even read it ?

the NL workbook has no place at the micros. It concentrates on playing with regulars and being unexploited. you don't need to read it until after you reach 100NL.

carrapa, what stakes do you play ?
    • LegionP
      LegionP
      Bronze

sorry but your post is way off.

harrington on online 6max cash games is a very ok book for beginners, and it is the most comprehensive book on online 6max(including HUD descriptions etc).

You say all these books are total crap. Clearly you have not read them.
      Of course I don't read them. Why should I spend my time for reading all that BS?
      I've opened them and I've glance through them.

Theory of Poker is a classic, and should be read by anyone interested in poker.
      Are you kidding me? How can you suggest books from fish like Sklansky?
      He will be destroyed by current NL50 players.

you will be overwhelmed with the poker blueprint if you don't read harrington on online 6max first. The information in blueprint goes perfectly after reading harrington because you are more knowledgeable.
      Yeah. I was overwhelmed by 'poker blueprint'. Because it only real book who helped me to understand how to beat microlimits.

Nl holdem theory and practice is written by two of the greatest authors and theorists in poker with concrete examples and explanations of thought processes.
      Wich internet games this two "theorists in poker" could beat? How many hands they both play on NL400+ in 2011?
      Look at Ed Miller graph http://www.pokertableratings.com/overview/masaladosa
      -5k$ back in 2009. Wow. Not bad for the best poker author. But I ran hotter in 2009 with -2.35$ after 161 hands. Maybe I also should write a book?

the NL workbook has no place at the micros. It concentrates on playing with regulars and being unexploited. you don't need to read it until after you reach 100NL.
      And I suggest it for more advanced players not for micros.
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Don't think it's been released yet but I have a feeling Verneer's book is going to be epic for micro stakes grinders: http://mtmicropoker.com/author.aspx

My favourite book is "Elements of Poker" by Tommy Angelo. However, it's a not a technical strategy book if that's what you're looking for.
    • Donkey111
      Donkey111
      Bronze
      Small disagreement here. Plays should be opponent based not stake based. For example a nit is a nit at any stake and many things that apply to nits at the lower stakes apply to the nits at the higher stakes.

Also PNLv1 has been written for loose live game. This is in no way an advanced book but a beginner one.

OP, don't let people stop you from reading advanced books. If anything, people spend too much time reading beginner/intermediate books. For having been where you are now, I know that the more advanced books are where all the gold is.

Regarding LegionP, there is so much nonsense in what he says that I won't even take the time to reply to him as he obviously hasn't even read the books he is bashing. I suggest ignoring his posts.
    • LegionP
      LegionP
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Donkey111
      Regarding LegionP, there is so much nonsense in what he says that I won't even take the time to reply to him as he obviously hasn't even read the books he is bashing. I suggest ignoring his posts.
      lol. You are pathetic.
      I've read "The Poker Blueprint", "Easy Game" and "Let there be the Range". If you give me name of the book from OP's list wich contain more useful information for internet poker player, I'll promise to read it, and if a book really better than 3 books I've mention, I'll easily admit that I was WRONG in this topic.
    • Heave112
      Heave112
      Bronze
      legionP u are very biased, the Harrington series is epic. Let there be range is also a very good book but its for higher lvl players. I'm 100% sure LegionP stole it from someone online, because the book costs $450.
    • LegionP
      LegionP
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Heave112
      legionP u are very biased, the Harrington series is epic. Let there be range is also a very good book but its for higher lvl players. I'm 100% sure LegionP stole it from someone online, because the book costs $450.
      obw it's not your business how I got this book.
      Related your "charges":
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Opinions are good, but lets not start taking things Personal

So keep this topic on tracks please Guys & Girls ;)
    • Donkey111
      Donkey111
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness
      Opinions are good, but lets not start taking things Personal
      The problem is: how can someone make strong unsubstantiated claims regarding books they have never read? These are not opinions. This is just trolling.