SB ($10)
      BB ($3.65)
      UTG ($10.15)
      UTG+1 ($16.51)
      UTG+2 ($15.35)
      CO ($3.91)
      Hero ($10)

Dealt to Hero K:club: J:club:

fold, fold, UTG+2 calls $0.10, fold, Hero raises to $0.45, fold, fold, UTG+2 calls $0.35

FLOP ($1.05) 8:spade: 7:club: Q:club:

UTG+2 bets $1.05, Hero raises to $3, UTG+2 calls $1.95

TURN ($7.05) 8:spade: 7:club: Q:club: 2:diamond:

UTG+2 bets $7.05, Hero folds

UTG+2 wins $6.70

Villain is relatively new to the table I have 40 hands on him playing 34/20, aggressive post flop and donked 1 out 2 times before i similar manor.

I got a strong flush draw w backdoor straight draws and I think he does this with relatively weak hands like tpwk or middle pair+ gutshot.

Therefore, calling seems like a bad idea because I get bad odds and if I hit I dont think I can get much value out of him, and If he does have a strong hand like a set or two pair he should push over me on the flop considering all the draws

I decide to raise his donk because I think I have quite a lot of fold equity and good equity if he calls. I'm in position so turn I can check behind if I dont hit and I would push if I hit flush or if a nine, ten or ace given the extra draws I should get enough equity+fold equity.

good plan?

Turn was a blank and he push I don't have good enough odds even if he got Queen rag so easy fold.

btw is my raise size on his donk good? I made it so I can push turn if a good card hits
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, yayasarika!

Raising a donkbet is very opponent dependant. It usually will only make sense if you have fold equity (you are bluffing after all); you said you think vs. him you have quite a lot, then raising is ofc fine. But to be honest, small sample as it is if he is playing 34/20 in a fullring table I doubt he is folding much.

Since you have position I don't dislike calling his donkbet, even big as it is. If he is such a maniac you have big implied odds and some extra outs as a K might even give you the best hand as well.

If you raise his donk and he shoves over the top you're in sort of a bad spot and won't make any good decisions. With all the dead money you might even find odds to call (especially if you consider he stacks of with Qx or even worse draws, like straight draws and lower flush draws) but calling with nothing but a draw and one overcard is not great of course.

All in all, against maniac opponents and especially until we know them a bit better I think it's best to adopt a bit of a passive line. Just give him rope and he'll hang himself.

About the size, I think it's fine. A bit more like 3.5 wouldn't hurt if we were for value (since a pot size raise is to $4.20).

All in all, I wouldn't raise flop with so much equity and position; but if I did I might as well go for the $4.2 and commit myself to the pot (if he calls we have a $9.45 pot and ~5.4 behind). That because your hand is strong on the flop but loses a lot of equity on the turn if it doesn't hit; so if you're putting money in, you want to put max possible on the flop while your hand is still strong.