[NL2-NL10] NL4; SH: J9s 1BB donkbet flop

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (CO): $7.20 (180 bb)
      BTN: $0.94 (23.5 bb)
      SB: $4.29 (107.3 bb)
      BB: $2.73 (68.3 bb)
      UTG: $5.89 (147.3 bb)
      MP: $1.38 (34.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9 J
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, 2 folds, BB calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.26) K 6 8 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.36, BB calls $0.32

Turn: ($0.98) A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.98) T (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Results: $0.98 pot ($0.06 rake)
      Final Board: K 6 8 A T
      Hero mucked 9 J and lost (-$0.48 net)
      BB showed 9 9 and won $0.92 ($0.44 net)

Our opponent is a fish with a VP of 40 over 141 hands.

The question here is about flop play - I've heard some coaches say that they treat small donkbets as a check and that you can often raise and the opponent will most of the time just simply fold. I've also read it in an article here on PS. Do you agree with this play here? Can we always raise a 1-3BB donkbet HU?
  • 10 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Nah, it's fine but I would raise it smaller, no need to do it so big. :) If we would know more the opponent and know that he is capable of calling very light with any pairs/PPs then wouldn't recommend raising.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Nah, it's fine but I would raise it smaller, no need to do it so big.

Would $0.30 be enough?

If we would know more the opponent and know that he is capable of calling very light with any pairs/PPs then wouldn't recommend raising.

So basically:

Unknown = raise
      Known opponent that is capable of calling = fold?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Yes, 0,30 is good.

Mostly I would still raise since we have some backdoors. Folding vs such a min-bet might be took weak while we might even have overcard outs and we can still fold the hand on further streets to bigger bet.
      Bronze
      Mostly I would still raise since we have some backdoors. Folding vs such a min-bet might be took weak while we might even have overcard outs and we can still fold the hand on further streets to bigger bet.

You mean you would raise a hand like this in such a spot even against someone who is capable of calling there?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91

You mean you would raise a hand like this in such a spot even against someone who is capable of calling there?
      Well, we don't know that much about the opponent. If I am pretty sure then I would just Call and play on further streets. If I would know that much about the opponent then I would definitely know as well how he plays with donks. :D
      Bronze
      Would you call with just some backdoor draws and possibly unclean outs for a pair in some cases?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Would you call with just some backdoor draws and possibly unclean outs for a pair in some cases?
      Most likely even pair and reevaluate on his bet size on the turn. If it's big we have an easy fold anyways.
      Bronze
      So just to rephrase it: if we suspect our opponent to call often when we raise his small donkbet it would be preferable for us to call instead of raising with most mediocre pairs, backdoor draws, overcards - basically almost all hands that might still improve, if even just by a little bit?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      So just to rephrase it: if we suspect our opponent to call often when we raise his small donkbet it would be preferable for us to call instead of raising with most mediocre pairs, backdoor draws, overcards - basically almost all hands that might still improve, if even just by a little bit?
      Go back to post: NL4; SH: J9s 1BB donkbet flop
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks!