[NL2-NL10] NL4; SH: QTo complete

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $5 (125 bb)
      UTG: $5.89 (147.3 bb)
      MP: $9.38 (234.5 bb)
      CO: $7.67 (191.8 bb)
      BTN: $5.08 (127 bb)
      Hero (SB): $4.29 (107.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q T
      2 folds, CO calls $0.04, BTN folds, Hero completes, BB checks

Flop: ($0.12) 4 9 A (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0.12) A (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks

River: ($0.12) Q (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.09, CO folds, Hero calls $0.09

Results: $0.30 pot ($0.02 rake)
      Final Board: 4 9 A A Q
      BB showed 5 A and won $0.28 ($0.15 net)
      CO mucked and lost (-$0.04 net)
      Hero mucked Q T and lost (-$0.13 net)

The call on the river should be ok, right? He can have worse Qs or even a 9
  • 10 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

You can easily even isolate preflop but completing is also fine. But I'd definitely rather Bet myself on the river after him Checking so long. :)

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      You can easily even isolate preflop

What about us being OOP and not knowing much about our opponent?
      QTo is not that strong.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      You can easily even isolate preflop

What about us being OOP and not knowing much about our opponent?
      QTo is not that strong.
      Read a bit more articles. :) Will find more about playing with initiative and the pros from it. And I said you could! Not you have to. ;)
      Bronze
      About that bet on the river - what weaker hands can call us apart from a smaller Qx?

Read a bit more articles. Will find more about playing with initiative and the pros from it. And I said you could! Not you have to.

I understand you can isolate with this hand, but surely not against an unknown opponent, no?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      About that bet on the river - what weaker hands can call us apart from a smaller Qx?

I don't understand you at all. You are talking about PPs/worse Jx hands in a lot different and a lot worse value-bet line but you are not taking a value-bet here? Doesn't make sense. Plus you are here OOP and he can easily Check behind those PPs or weak pairs which have showdown value.

This hand: NL4; SH: J9o thin value bet river

I understand you can isolate with this hand, but surely not against an unknown opponent, no?

Why shouldn't we? Why is he different? We might make him fold right preflop or either way gain fold equity postflop or hit ourselves something.
      Bronze
      I don't understand you at all. You are talking about PPs/worse Jx hands in a lot different and a lot worse value-bet line but you are not taking a value-bet here? Doesn't make sense. Plus you are here OOP and he can easily Check behind those PPs or weak pairs which have showdown value.

I just thought that the fact that we are 3way here as well as the fact that this is a limped pot speaks against a value bet. If it doesn't then fine, of course I agree with you.

Why shouldn't we? Why is he different? We might make him fold right preflop or either way gain fold equity postflop or hit ourselves something.

Well, for one, our opponent could be a calling station or just simply a loose and bad player against whom we do not have as much FE as we might need. Then again, of course, he could be folding very often both preflop and postflop but the fact of the matter is that against an unknown opponent we don't know if we are burning money by being too loose and aggressive. And it is NL4, I suppose we could be facing loose and fishy opponents who openlimp fairly often. QTo is not exactly a value hand OOP either IMO.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, it doesn't mean always that we wont gain value by just raising and getting him to fold preflop and non-hit boards with CB. But we may gain value also if we hit big time and we know the opponent is a station. :) From there come big moneyz.
      Bronze
      Would you suggest a raise with low to medium PPs as well?
      And what about small unsuited Ax hands?
      Suited connectors?

All of these can hit big time.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Would you suggest a raise with low to medium PPs as well?
      And what about small unsuited Ax hands?
      Suited connectors?

All of these can hit big time.
      Well, before we get to that kind of point you should understand why do you raise at all. With time you will understand yourself why you raising and why you ain't raising. Therefore several good articles, especially for Gold rank. I would advice to take a look into the articles and you will get the answer. You will base on that your own game. I can't say you the exact play for every default range since it would be a mistake, you could easily be overplaying or not playing profitable with them.
      Bronze
      Ok, will try that out. Thanks!