[NL2-NL10] NL4; HU: Q6o agnst minraise

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 2 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $2.94 (147 bb)
      Hero (BB): $2.67 (133.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q 6
      SB raises to $0.04, Hero folds

Results: $0.04 pot
      SB mucked and won $0.04 ($0.02 net)

Our opponent's stats:
      VP/PFR/foldto3bet/hands 44/35/43/341

This is probably a clear fold but I just wanted to be sure. The reason I am in doubt is that he is always minraising and I maybe have the odds to find a call here.
  • 14 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Yes, rather just fold the hand. :) By the way those low stake HU games ain't profitable to play since rake kills you. :)

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Are they unprofitable only on WillHill or is that the case on all poker platforms?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Are they unprofitable only on WillHill or is that the case on all poker platforms?
      Why do you think they are different on other sites. :P Most likely on most of the sites the HU tables are not profitable. That's also the reason why most of the sites don't have small stake HU tables. :)
      Bronze
      Why do you think they are different on other sites.

Because each site has its own rake system. For example, most games on pokerstars are much less expensive than their counterparts on the Ipoker network or Partypoker.

Most likely on most of the sites the HU tables are not profitable. That's also the reason why most of the sites don't have small stake HU tables.

Does that mean that making money from playing HU poker is basically impossible?

Also, does the rake % decrease on higher stakes?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Why should it be impossible? :D Just it's not recommend to play on lower stakes. HU is rather from at minimum of NL20+ than playing it on NL4. :) Especially if you ain't even familiar with poker that much and postflop/preflop play. The only cut comes from the opponents being really bad.

Why should you even start from HU when it's more advanced play? Do you start for example basketball from NBA? Learn first easy steps and then move forward. :) The content of HU isn't available for Basic/Silver members just for some random reason.
      Bronze
      I just wanted to practice playing HU a bit since I occasionally find myself opening new tables to attract fish where I am inevitably bound to play at least a few hands HU.

Why should it be impossible? Just it's not recommend to play on lower stakes. HU is rather from at minimum of NL20+ than playing it on NL4. Especially if you ain't even familiar with poker that much and postflop/preflop play. The only cut comes from the opponents being really bad.

So HU should be played only by people who are good enough to beat the rake (apart from the limit they are on, of course)? The way you just put it makes me think that there are a lot of other poker formats that are way more profitable than HU because of the rake.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      It's not only by being good. But it secures you the bankroll and avoids you loosing a lot money. HU can be really mean and has the biggest swings. So that's why you should also avoid playing it. Few guys have tried for example HU SnGs and they almost tilted all their BR into it. :D
      Bronze
      Ok, I understand it is not suited for beginners because of the rake, variance aso.

But is HU really less profitable, compared to other formats (SNGs, Cash games etc.)? Is HU something that one should not bother with if his priority is the highest profit possible from playing poker?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Ok, I understand it is not suited for beginners because of the rake, variance aso.

But is HU really less profitable, compared to other formats (SNGs, Cash games etc.)? Is HU something that one should not bother with if his priority is the highest profit possible from playing poker?
      Why should it be less profitable? You can select always your target yourself. :P You can even earn more money in it on higher limits. :) But as I said I wouldn't advice to start playing HU when you just playing NL4. :D
      Bronze
      Well, the rake is high, and from what I understand, the % does not decrease on higher stakes. In order to beat the rake we have to be significantly better than our opponents. If we are only slightly better, then we won't be making a lot of profit. Is that not so?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, the rake is high, and from what I understand, the % does not decrease on higher stakes. In order to beat the rake we have to be significantly better than our opponents. If we are only slightly better, then we won't be making a lot of profit. Is that not so?
      Well, if you can't even beat SH or FR how can you make profit with HU? :) Not that I am saying that you can't beat but I just can't understand those who wanting too much from poker while just playing small stakes. Especially when HU cash games are made for a reason on some sites from NL50+. :) They ain't made just for the reason that they don't want you to play there.
      Bronze
      Of course I understand it's not for me as for now. I am talking more here about HU general profitability even if you are good. You made me think that it is not really worth bothering with HU at all even if we are good players because of the rake. Or did I get it wrong?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Of course I understand it's not for me as for now. I am talking more here about HU general profitability even if you are good. You made me think that it is not really worth bothering with HU at all even if we are good players because of the rake. Or did I get it wrong?
      Easiest way just read this article, might get some information. http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1664/1/
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks!