What Can I learn from stats??

• tak1s
      tak1s
      Bronze
      Hi guys I'm a beginner :f_p: and I see that stats are an important thing in online poker but I haven't figure out how can I interpret them.

Example of stats on a random guy on a 122 hands sample.

Vp$IP 12.30 (15 out of 122)

pfr 9.84 (12 out of 122)

won $ when when saw flop 41.67 (5 out 12)

won $ at showdown 100.00 (1 out of 1)

attempt to steal blinds 37.50 (6 out of 16)

What do you learn when see stats like these (in this example) and how you play against him. What of these stats I must always take consider when I play?

Thanks In Advance!
  • 5 replies
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Vp$IP 12.30 (15 out of 122) This is when the guy put money voluntary in the pot so this shows how often he plays hands. 12.30% Is not a lot, so when he limps or raises(puts money in pot) means he is playing tight and only plays good hands, so you should play back to him with good hands as well and if he starts to raise you better get out of his way because he could easily beat you pre flop, because pretty much AK AA KK are his range. Just think from 122 hands he was dealt he only played 15 of them so he is not putting money in pot with bad hands.

pfr 9.84 (12 out of 122) This is Pre flop raise. This means that when he entered pot he raised first. So from the 12.3% of his hands he plays 9.8% he open raised so he is playing tight and rarely limping with maybe pocket pairs to set mine.

won $ when when saw flop 41.67 (5 out 12) Self explanatory, basically when he saw the flop he won 41.67% of the time.

won $ at showdown 100.00 (1 out of 1) Well this means that he won a hand at showdown. But from 1 hand you really can't draw much of a conclusion. If he for example had like 80% (80 out of 100)won at showdown this would mean that he won 80% of the times at showdown so when he is interested in the pot he probably has a good hand because he wins 80% of the time and the other 20% when he lost could easily be you calling bad odds and catching you draws and getting like flush or straight over his two pair or set.

attempt to steal blinds 37.50 (6 out of 16) This means how many times he tried to steal blinds from like Button or Cut off. So basically he raised 6 hands out of 16 to try to pick up blinds. This would basically say that he steals only with good hands so if he had like 70% attempt to steal you then could 3bet him easily because most of the time he doesn't have anything and he just wants to pick up the blinds.

Well hope you understood everything, ask if something doesn't seem to be clear. Didn't really proofread so something might not make sense :f_biggrin:

Also just search in videos for "HUD" Heads up display and there are a few videos that explain what stats are useful and what they mean.
    • tak1s
      tak1s
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot Krishjanis that was a very helpful and clear explanation of how I can understand a bit of how a guy plays when I have stats on him. Thanks a lot ;)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi tak1s,

Krishjanis, that is an excellent and quite comprehensive post and I thank you very much for your input and help, nice one. :s_love:

tak1s, guess what, I have a link in my signature that will lead you to our no-limit beginner's school, where out expert coaches will teach you all about that kind of thing as well as everything alse you need to know at your stage of development! Just click the link in my signature below to get more info.
      There is no closing date for entry to the school and you can join any time you like. It's free and the coaches are professional, curteous and very patient; they know you are a beginner!

Best regards,

Mal.
    • Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      good post, stats are important to determine the kind of player you're really up against (in a decent sample size that is, not jjust a few hands).
    • tak1s
      tak1s
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Hi tak1s,

Krishjanis, that is an excellent and quite comprehensive post and I thank you very much for your input and help, nice one. :s_love:

tak1s, guess what, I have a link in my signature that will lead you to our no-limit beginner's school, where out expert coaches will teach you all about that kind of thing as well as everything alse you need to know at your stage of development! Just click the link in my signature below to get more info.
      There is no closing date for entry to the school and you can join any time you like. It's free and the coaches are professional, curteous and very patient; they know you are a beginner!

Best regards,

Mal.
      I was about to start the courses but I saw that they refer to BSS. I'm playing MSS at the moment should I start play first BSS and learn from it?