[NL2-NL10] NL4; SH: 64s 3handed with shortstacks

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 3 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $2.03 (50.7 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $4.10 (102.5 bb)
      SB: $1.17 (29.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 4 6
      Hero raises to $0.12, 2 folds

Results: $0.10 pot
      Hero mucked 4 6 and won $0.10 ($0.06 net)

Is an openraise here good? I am not willing to go broke, obviously, but to keep folding 3handed until I get a quality hand sounds rather extreme.
  • 8 replies
    • KillerFishes
      KillerFishes
      Bronze
      It depends on opp/ your postflop skills/ dynamic ...

You can't really tell like that ... It's not default open I would say but IP I will deff open it :)
      Bronze
      The problem here really is the stacksizes of my opponents. That's the sole reason I'm asking as I would open this hand against most fullstacked opponents.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

You have a shorty on the blinds so therefore I don't really like it unless I expect them to fold very often. According to the stacks I'd rather fold.

By the way wanted to point out that you are doing really good job in the forum, with all the hands and all the question. I am pretty sure you will learn to play solid poker much faster than anyone else who ain't posting. :) Already have rather more advanced thinking for NL4 player. Good job!

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Ok, so obviously I have to open tighter because the SB is so short, but I have difficulty finding a good bottom range against shortstacks, since you have taught me that I have to be willing to go broke against them when I raise (or did that advice only apply for 3betting? I'm sorry I don't remember). Should I be opening here with a range that consists of value hands only?

By the way wanted to point out that you are doing really good job in the forum, with all the hands and all the question. I am pretty sure you will learn to play solid poker much faster than anyone else who ain't posting. Already have rather more advanced thinking for NL4 player. Good job!

I feel extremely flattered! It means a lot to me if a player and coach of your skills and abilities compliments me. I wouldn't be posting all these hands if I didn't receive such a high quality feedback. Thanks for all you have done for me and, of course, for all that you are yet to do. You are awesome!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Ok, so obviously I have to open tighter because the SB is so short, but I have difficulty finding a good bottom range against shortstacks, since you have taught me that I have to be willing to go broke against them when I raise (or did that advice only apply for 3betting? I'm sorry I don't remember). Should I be opening here with a range that consists of value hands only?

It rather applies for 3bet pot. But for this pot usually I'd still pay attention on the opponent how he reacts and if he is some kind of maniac. It doesn't always mean that we have to go broke if we raise.

Thanks also!
      Bronze
      Let us say I suspect the shortstack not to be too loose and aggressive and not tight and passive either - somewhere in the middle.

Would a range like this:
      Ax+ K9o+ K7s+ QTo+ Q8s+ JTo J9s+ T9s 98s 22+

Be ok? Or is too tight/loose?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Let us say I suspect the shortstack not to be too loose and aggressive and not tight and passive either - somewhere in the middle.

Would a range like this:
      Ax+ K9o+ K7s+ QTo+ Q8s+ JTo J9s+ T9s 98s 22+

Be ok? Or is too tight/loose?
      That would again depend on your skills postflop. I can't say that it's a correct range since I don't see your stats or I can't see your all hands which are tracked. You can always figure out yourself that by Checking Hands by preflop or by position and see how you do with them. If you earn profit then you are doing good, if you don't then remove some of the hands what make you trouble.
      Bronze
      ok, thanks!