I think I am playing wrong

• deafmute
      deafmute
      Global
      I've been doing $1 + ,25 SnG's the past few days and I have been following the guides given on this site for them but it seems that I either:

1. Get a good hand and everyone folds when I raise 4xBB + 1BB per limper

2. Get a good hand and people call and end up outdrawing me after all in.

3. Don't get a good hand and fizzle out until I am short stacked and have push/fold speculative hands vs bigger stacks.

I just wanted to ask if this is normal? :(
  • 7 replies
    • theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      In a word, yes.

I play a lot of $2+.25 on Full Tilt and find it's very streaky. I'll play 10 in a day and barely have to think and cash in 7 of them. The next day I won't see an Ace until there's 8 players with blinds @ 150/300 and I'm forced to push with A4o.

If you continue to follow the guides and play strategically than over the long run you will find the SNG's profitable.

Good Luck!

Just a note though, maybe to get more action with your big hands raise 3xBB standard plus extra for limpers? I usually just hit the "POT" size button for my raises.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      me too, i play at full tilt $1, now $2 all SNGs and at times it really can frustrating. the articles are by no means complete but they are very good for playing the earlier rounds.
      on a bad streak i got so frustrated by SNG that i decided to have a go at the cash games. so read all the SSS articles and found that they have also some applicability to SNGs. it was like revelation for me. just went back to SNGs and noticed i was able to play better. here are the things which helped me.
      1. SNG articles
      2. posting my hand in the forum and discussing it (actually just thinking that i have to post it in the forum kinda forces me to play the hand properly.... hahah like a threat. meaning correct amount of raises, folding when u have to, not playing trash hands -like when ur tempted to play AJ UTG or Q10 or something... things i never do now, except in latter stages maybe) if u think u are playing wrong, post hands.
      3. NL articles
      4. reading other peoples posts and their hands
      5. watching the live coaching (and the video of 'the nose' and 'nick')
      6. keeping track of my stats (much easier to win on mondays i noticed. :D )

dont think too much of the money now since we're just starting out. what matters if you played your hand right. (if you did and you lost, dont feel bad about it at all. coz in the long run, it will still be profitable for you doing the right plays)
      still, it really is a bit of a crawl esp since we only win so little in the lower limits. but i figure i'll get there someday, one step at a time.
    • deafmute
      deafmute
      Global
      thanks for the advice! I read the NL and Limit articles before I started doing SnG's because I wasn't really sure what I would want to play. I think I want to play NL and SnG's since when played right, have the best income (plus they are more fun). The "using posting hand as a threat" thing is going to help me out a lot too. I already watched the SnG by 'the nose' in the bronze section and found it helpful as it makes me set a goal as to where I want to be. Sorta like how cool it would be to be that good and calculate everything off that many tables at one time haha.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      me too, i play at full tilt $1, now $2 all SNGs and at times it really can frustrating. the articles are by no means complete but they are very good for playing the earlier rounds.
      on a bad streak i got so frustrated by SNG that i decided to have a go at the cash games. so read all the SSS articles and found that they have also some applicability to SNGs. it was like revelation for me. just went back to SNGs and noticed i was able to play better. here are the things which helped me.
      1. SNG articles
      2. posting my hand in the forum and discussing it (actually just thinking that i have to post it in the forum kinda forces me to play the hand properly.... hahah like a threat. meaning correct amount of raises, folding when u have to, not playing trash hands -like when ur tempted to play AJ UTG or Q10 or something... things i never do now, except in latter stages maybe) if u think u are playing wrong, post hands.
      3. NL articles

dont think too much of the money now since we're just starting out. what matters if you played your hand right. (if you did and you lost, dont feel bad about it at all. coz in the long run, it will still be profitable for you doing the right plays)
      still, it really is a bit of a crawl esp since we only win so little in the lower limits. but i figure i'll get there someday, one step at a time.
      wow nice reply, #2! :)
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      1. SNG articles
      3. NL articles

wow nice reply, #2! :)
      Very nice reply indeed!
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      You shouldn't just play book poker.

Poker is a game where everything depends on opponents. You have to use some reading skills which are easy to use at lower buy-ins and then see how others are pllaying. \

Like you said that when you raised 4xbb everyone folded. Either try raising a little, or raise with garbage hands since they are folding to your raises. You have to quickly change your gameplay as you see that the article strategy isn't working.

The articles serve as a guideline which should be followed, but not as a player because as a player you have to think a lot more than an article can offer. The articles are to help you think better, and play with odds on your sides. But sometimes you have to make moves with odds not on your side.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by arjun2001
      You shouldn't just play book poker.

Poker is a game where everything depends on opponents. You have to use some reading skills which are easy to use at lower buy-ins and then see how others are pllaying. \

Like you said that when you raised 4xbb everyone folded. Either try raising a little, or raise with garbage hands since they are folding to your raises. You have to quickly change your gameplay as you see that the article strategy isn't working.

The articles serve as a guideline which should be followed, but not as a player because as a player you have to think a lot more than an article can offer. The articles are to help you think better, and play with odds on your sides. But sometimes you have to make moves with odds not on your side.
      big thumbs down.

maybe at the higher limits (and i mean NL1000+) deception value increases, and you have to merge ranges etc. but at the lower limits "book" poker is correct, where correct is by far the most profitable.