Q for SNG coaches:pushing any 2/looser play

• purplefizz
      I've been watching the live coachings/vids and i have a few questions for nick, the nose or anyone kind enough to answer...(chenny? manni? anyone?)

1. we play looser as the no. of people on the table decreases. when do you veer from the SHC? when there are 6 ppl left? 5 ppl left?

2. at what point will u be pushing any 2 cards? you often say, at this point, we must push any 2. (sometimes you say we can push any ace). is there a particular no. of BB for you (or if you are the bigstack, particular no. of BB of the opponent?).

3. is it advisable that we play purely SNGs? (and something on my mind... is it easier to make money in cash games? maybe i should cross over, just a thought) why do you prefer SNGs? (in chennys case, i know why she hates them so. :D )
  • 1 reply
    • chenny8888
      as a very general rule any ace is good when your effective stack (the lower of your stack and your opponent's stack) is less than 10BB, and you're first-in, in the SB.

on the bubble against someone who is shortstacked, but not yet desperate (6BB-12BB), if we have a decent stack, we can profitably push any two cards. sometimes if he's a weak regular (sharkscope helps here!), you can even do this when he is in a desperate situation (such as something like a stack of 3BB). this is because he can't profitably call with very many hands (ie. our fold equity is very high). the same also applies in reverse. if we have 6-12BB, and he doesn't have too much more, we can still push any two first in the SB on the bubble.

the same applies if we're on the bubble, 5-handed, and we have the SB and BB covered (more chips than them).

any two push situations also apply when there is a super-shortstack in the game on the bubble and he has folded. you then have great fold equity, as people don't want to bust out before he does.

for 6-handed, refer to the SHC for 6-max games. except, if your effective stack size is quite low, then remove the suited connectors, etc. cards. once your stack size reaches around 20 big blinds, i will tighten right up again, as people here start making resteals, and you basically want to only raise hands which you are happy to call their pushes with (maybe 70% of the time you can call their pushes).

at the lower limits, i wouldn't abuse ICM this much with any two pushes (except on the bubble, first to act, as the SB). this is because the players are extremely bad, and do not understand ICM themselves, so they will make very negative $EV calls, that make your +$EV pushes -$EV in that instance (the $equity difference goes to the other players in the game).

SNG vs cash:

i like cash, as i only play 4 tables, and therefore my edge from opponent reads, etc. can be maximised with the deeper stacks we have. however, the main reason i changed was not because of winrate, but because of the last point i made: opponents are able to make -$EV calls (and they often do!) that make your +$EV pushes very -$EV. obviously this is a case of variance, as they will also make these calls when other regulars push into them, in which case you gain a lot of equity by not even playing the hand, but i got pissed off and quit. i think it's advisable that everyone learns some cash, as this knowledge carries directly over to SNG, especially in the earlier stages. playing SNGs purely for bankroll building is also very good and profitable, as is shown by unam's, tigga's, and obviously superstars like innissint's (sp?) success. also i think a lot of the more basic theory such as pot odds, implied odds, deception, and the other maths, as well as a nice deep understanding of push/call ranges are very very important for successful SNG play.