[NL2-NL10] 4 of kind slow play NL2

• Pampoen
      Pampoen
      Bronze
      Hi everyone

So I got lucky playing this morning after just 10hands or so on the table.

I was in BB and got dealt PP8. UTG1 pot in a pot size raise bet which i automatically put him on K/A everyone folded i called to see if I could hit my set otherwise i would get out the pot.

Finally I hit my 4 of a kind on the flop. I have never had this opportunity to slow play so i check/call all the streets.
      Thing is villain is a TAG and if he did not have pocket AA the hand would not have played out like that.

Could i get some advice on what would be the correct slow play method when i should check and when I should bet to get MAX value out of the pot? If I should ever get into a similar situation again?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1.97
      UTG2:
      $1.35

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8:heart: , 8:club:
      UTG2 raises to $0.07, 6 folds, Hero calls $0.05.

Flop: ($0.15) J:club: , 8:spade: , 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15.

Turn: ($0.45) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 bets $0.2, Hero calls $0.20.

River: ($0.85) K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 raises $0.93 (All-In), Hero calls $0.93.

Final Pot: $2.71

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG2 shows (As Ad)
      Hero shows four-of-a-kind, eights (8h 8c)

Hero wins with four-of-a-kind, eights (8h 8c)
  • 3 replies
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      You should never check the river here, as villain then can just check behind with all the hands he is calling with and is now unsure he is ahead after you called him down...

I'd rather see a bet that's 45% - 50% of his stack, to then give him the option to hang himself when he shoves the scare card on the river or call your bet... If he folds so be it, you can't miss value not betting quads like this.
    • Pampoen
      Pampoen
      Bronze
      Thank you I see what you mean with the villain checking on the river and me having such a strong hand
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Droewors,

After him even potting the flop and we are OOP I'd just Check/Raise right on the flop. :) And play for the stacks vs him and his stack. But otherwise Checking the river is pretty horrible. Pretty much picked the worst line, should already get it in on the turn.

Best Regards.