Settle an argument

• bazerk
      bazerk
      Bronze
      I have a weekly home game at my house, just small stakes CG. We mostly play dealers choice, but sometimes just NLHE.

We do all the standard stuff, straddles, seven-deuce game, AND the option of running it twice when HU and all the chips go in with cards to come.

My friends aren't really new to the game but are still learning the concepts and all that. Which brings me to the point of this thread:

We have always run it twice, sometimes three times with out any problems. But the other night my mate tried an awful bluff against me when I'm holding 2 pair on the flop. He of course had 7-2 o.

I said I will give it to him twice, he said cool. On the first run he got running clubs FTW :facepalm:

All of a sudden him and my other mate are trying to say that he should have the option of running it once. I explained that 'coz I was ahead at the time, it's my choice, and it's in his best interest when so far behind to run it more than once anyway. They instantly didn't believe me, causing me to come here and ask my fellow strategists.

When this spot comes up is it not the 'person who's ahead's choice how many times it gets played out???

(sorry for the long post, I wanted to set the full picture)
  • 8 replies
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Bronze
      if both players agree and theres no pre rules against it, then you can run it however many times you want till you run out of cards.

If however the players do not agree on the amount of times, it is then run only once as per the usual rules followed..
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      it makes absolutely no sense for it to be up to him!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I guess its different rules everywhere but since its a home game and you're friends he should have run it twice imo you both agreed on it before hand so it should have gone twice he sounds like a bit of an arse to play with :D
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      i don't think there is a rule for who sets how many times it will be run. Both players need to reach a mutual agreement
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bmfbpi
      i don't think there is a rule for who sets how many times it will be run. Both players need to reach a mutual agreement
      I said I will give it to him twice, he said cool.
      To me this is enough of an agreement esp in a homegame where its supposed to be friendly and fun changing ur mind can just cause unnecessary arguments and tension
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      The amount of times you run is decided/agreed by BOTH of you before the hand runs once. If you cant come to a decision (Once,Twice,Triple+) Then you play the game as it should. Once. Sort it out before you run, then you wont get into trouble.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      it was agreed upon before the flop the cards were dealt, tell him if he wants to take it back you will, but those two cards that came out after the deal don't count as well.

After that, punch him in the face please or the nuts
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      It's based on a mutual agreement, but usually the favourite of the hand offers the possibility of running it more times, although he can't force his decission to the underdog. If they can agree, they run it as many times as they agreed on, otherwise (if they couldn't agree) it runs once.

Either way, the most important thing is that once they agreed on something, that is final for that hand.

Also, when a bluff has been caught (the underdog has really low chance of winning), it's somewhat rare to offer to run it more times.