2012 - bring it on (Part 2) - Playing on .be poker room

• NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Hey everybody!

If I were as persistent in playing and studying one variant of poker as I were in opening blogs, I'd be a millionaire. That being said it's because of the new year that I'm starting a blog again. The only difference will be that this blog will not be poker only. I will write down real life issues, first world problems and all other stuff to keep me motivated in my non-poker related challenges. I myself fall victim to the new year's resolutions, as it is a perfect time to look back at the past year and look forward to the next. I will start on Monday January 2 with my real life / poker challenges.

The last couple of years

I haven't been able to make a lot of my life. At 25, I have 0 savings, been out of a job for well over two years and had an unsuccessful attempt at starting my own business (hence the 0 savings). In the mean time I put some money in poker, in hindsight perhaps money I could have invested elsewhere. Luckily I found a job in October and am slowly saving up some money to buy shiny stuff and save for moving out. Yes, I still live at home.

In high school I was an ok student. I could have easily get way better grades, but I was more interested in playing basketball and just hanging out with my friends. Not that my grades were bad, far from it, but I did not put any extra effort in my studies. Something that came and bit me in the ass when going to college. Once there I learned what planning was and how to make sure I respected deadlines for all my assignments.

In the year where I started college I stopped playing basketball (I was on a team that played in a national competition). Looking back I really regret that decision. I got out of shape, I became way overweight and just started to 'slip away'.

With the prospect of my graduation in 2009 (I got a degree in 2007, took a year off to help as a volunteer in the local youth club, worked as a temp for four months and started another course) I decided to finally follow one of my dreams and start up my own Ltd. company. It was to focus on organizing music events. My choice for an 'international' limited company instead of a local Belgian one was purely financial. It cost like 10% of the local businesses and was the same according to the law.
      Later that year I found out that I wasn't ready for all the paperwork and the additional costs I did not foresee (despite carefully looking up all the possible taxes etc.). Long story short, bills came in, the money from the business wasn't anywhere close to paying them all, I had no pay whatsoever. I then decided to disband the organisation before the debts became too high.

2009 can be summarised: failed business, little money there was had to be used to pay bills, no money left.

The next year I wasn't able to find a job. Mostly because I wasn't chosen for the job (people with other profiles, people with more experience...), but if I'm honest, part of me just didn't care that much. Slowly, very slowly I was paying off whatever outstanding bills that were still open.

I found something new to do in my spare time and founded my own lacrosse team. In October, after just three months of practice we joined the Belgian Cup. We managed to come in fourth (out of a total of five).

This year started out great. Our team came on Belgian television with our sick uniforms, we joined the league (consisting of six teams). However, in the second game I tore my ACL and wasn't able to walk properly for three months, let alone do anything physical of work. I was home for well over six months and was VERY lucky my parents paid the medical bills that well exceeded €2.5k over the course of those six months.

In October I was able to start at a family owned business. From there on I paid off my debt to my parents as soon as I could, so now I'm here, at the dawn of 2012, totally debt free with a job to save some more. I had a brief stint as a moderator here (thank you for giving me that chance Ingrid and Wendy, and of course all the other mods for being awesome!!)

The band I sing in is also finding its groove so hopefully I will be able to update that as well.

Looking back at what I typed I see I haven't written anything about poker yet. Truth be told, I don't have much to tell about my poker career. I haven't been a winner in anything but the $1.5 Turbo STT's on Pokerstars, and I have tried a lot of different varieties of poker. No limit, fixed limit, mtt's, omaha...

I lost my database but for the STT's I have about 700 games under the belt with a modest ROI of around 3.5%.

[B]What's the purpose of this blog[/b]

Simple. I want to (legally) play poker on Pokerstars. The Pokerstrategy Points I get aren't high, so I won't be shooting for Black member just yet! In this blog I will keep track of my runs, my bad runs, my wtf hands, my misclicks, my profits...

I will also start with trying to get back in shape for my lacrosse team. I have switched from goalie to defender and I will need a lot of strength and stamina to compete. My knee still isn't 100% so I will focus on losing weight, exercise, gaining strength and hopefully being able to secure a spot on the team!

This will be a mixed real life / poker blog. I have no idea if this is the right place to actually start it, but I have a feeling it is. I don't expect that many subscribers / reply-ers / readers from the start but I hope to keep this blog interesting enough for those who will read it. I will update with challenges later this week, but I felt like writing this all down today.

That's it for now, if you made it this far without skipping any parts, I salute you, this turned out to be a bigger wall of text than I anticipated! I will leave you with a lacrosse highlight video from college lacrosse, so you all know what I'm talking about!

• 55 replies
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Second post in my blog, time for some goals. Mind you, these goals will only start on January 2, so I can enjoy drinking and eating what I want for a couple more days :D

Poker goals
      January

:diamond: Make a schedule where my pokertime is solely my pokertime
      :diamond: Only play $1.5 Turbo STT's
      :diamond: Play at least an average of 15 hours of poker each week
      :diamond: Find at least two people to add on Skype and review sessions / sng's with
      :diamond: Have a positive ROI
      :diamond: Play at least 500 games

Year

:heart: Successfully move to the $7 Turbo STT's -meaning beating them for a minimum of 1,250 games-
      :heart: Become a monthly Goldstar on Pokerstars
      :heart: Play a minimum of 12,000 STT's

These yearly goals can be extended with other goals, but I will not take away goals I've set myself.

Real life goals
      January

:spade: Quit drinking cola and other sugarbombs
      :spade: Only drink water
      :spade: Quit the inbetween snacks and candy rushes
      :spade: Lose 4kg (will weigh myself on January 1)
      :spade: Start various cardio exercises -no running- to help lose weight and get some stamina
      :spade: Return to lacrosse practices twice a week, every week

Year

:club: Earn a starting spot on the lacrosse team
      :club: Lose 25kg
      :club: Be able to run a halfmarathon (20km)

Hopefully goals that aren't too hard to achieve, but in the mean time aren't too easy to get to.
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Boom! It's a brand new year! Slept a solid five hours, managed to drink a lot, but not too much and just had New Years' lunch with my parents. Life is good.

This also means that I'm going to play some sng's later on today and that I have started the first step of my 'regime'. Goal is to lose 4kg by February 1st. The first kilo's go away the fastest so I'm pretty confident I can manage it.

The scale kinda bitchslapped me in the face though. I had a LOT to eat and drink yesterday so it's normal I weigh a tad more, but the display showed 113.4kg. That's a lot, that's way too much. Up to me to get that under 110 by February. Let's do this!
    • tadcka
      tadcka
      Black
      Nice intro and story, mate!

GL with your poker and real life goals! Hope you will soon start crushing tables!

Will be following :s_cool:
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Thanks tadcka! I'm firing up my pokerstars client, tableninja and HEM. Hopefully for a decent session both #games wise as playing wise!

What I didn't mention is that I will start and play with a 50BI bankroll management. I will move up a limit whenever I hit 50BI for that limit, and move down when I only have 50BI left for the lower level. Obviously not this month, because my goal is to improve my play at the $1.5's.

Starting roll: $75
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Damn, I'm way more tired than I thought I was :D Cut my session short. I planned to play at least 25 games, but stopped at ten. Gonna review those games and try and watch a video of chenny before falling to sleep.

The little session did go awesome though. I had a 70% ITM and 82.1% ROI day and am very glad this is the way the new year started! The cards were falling right when I was dominated and held most of the time when I had the best hand. Too bad days like these aren't too common.

Ah well, I'll update the day here, get some good sleep and try to grind 40 games tomorrow. I have the week off so I can dedicate as much time as I want into poker at the moment. After that, lacrosse season starts again and I will have far less time to play. The bulk of my volume for January shall have to be played this week.

Update #1

Played: 10 / 500
      Bankroll: $87.32 (+ $12.32)
    • harvbucks
      harvbucks
      Bronze
      hey, keep at it...don't worry about the things that didn't work in the past, learn from them and move on....commend you for staying positive and keeping goals...it'll turn around, trust me....i've been there and hung in there and now everything is gravy...i'll be checking in...best of luck!
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      I took a look yesterday in the Belgian VIP-store and noticed I had a €10 stellar reward still pending from 2011! A nice surprise, because that extra boosts my bankroll to $100. I will leave it in my euro account though and will only use it if I lose the majority of my roll to relaod a bit.

Belgian players now have to accumulate 1,000 VPP for a €10 stellar reward. From yesterday on we're receiving less VPP/sng which means I'll have to play 1,053 $1.5 sng's to release the first part, meaning I'll rake $189,54 to get €10 back. Not that great, but I keep in mind that I'm playing legal poker now and I have nothing to worry about. Besides, those stellars should add to my winnings, not be my winnings!

With the FPP I gather I will play Sunday Storm satellites, my preference goes to the 210FPP where 6 out of 20 get a ticket. Hopefully that will add to my roll a bit too.

Right now I'm making a schedule for this week at least where I will dedicate my time to poker. Playing should equal full 100% concentration and not browse, watch vids etc. inbetween. I'll 5-table for now and see how that works out.

Update #1.1

Played: 10/500 (2%)
      Bankroll: $87.32 (+ $12.32)
      Cashback/bonuses: €10
      FPP: 443.80

I'll leave you guys with another lacrosse video. It's strange how much I love playing and watching this sport. I was crazy about basketball but even that can't compare with how I feel when I have my stick in my hands!

• NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Well, today was the total opposite of yesterday. My gosh, if you're not getting in solid volume the variance seems to hit you more :D

Los various pocket pairs against Ax type of hands, got my KK sucked out on by QQ and A5o etc, but in general I'm happy with how I played. Still only managed to get 15 sng's in, putting in volume will be a lot harder than I thought.

Cashed in 33.3% of todays session, but way too many thirds. It's all good, I still have an ok ROI at the moment and I feel my game is pretty ok too. Will see when I post some hands in the evaluation forum.

Concerning my weight loss challenge, I'll weigh myself once a week, on Sunday morning. That's when I initially weighed myself. Really hope I'll lose those 4kg!

Update #2

Played: 25/500
      Bankroll: $77.86 (+ $2.86)
      FPP: 458.05

I also found out the lacrosse season starts this Friday and not on Monday. Pretty siked about that, but it gives me three days less to prepare a bit.
      Still very looking forward to how my knee will hold up in scrimmages.

• ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey Kev nice blog

Nice goals too :)

Post some footage of your band imo :)

Will definately be following your progress Gl mate
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      I seriously had nothing to do, didn't want to play League Of Legends (I'm a two-hero noob anyways) so I decided to fire away two sats for the Sunday Storm. I played the 210FPP sat where 6 out of 20 get rewarded a ticket. From now on I'll solely play that to spend my FPP's, I believe it is great value.

If no player had an edge, you'd get a ticket every 3 out of 10 times, meaning T$33 for 2,100FPP spent, giving every FPP a value of $0.0157. Pretty awesome I'd say. Now I feel I have an edge and should be able to finish top 6 at least 40% of the time, giving an approximate value of ~$0.0209/FPP. Very good value for the T$!

I managed to ship one, adding T$11 to my account.

I'm not too sure how to use them though. Do I sell them for around 97-98% of their value? Or do I just register with it to my sngs. I think, as I feel I beat the 1.5's, in the long run it's way better to spend them on buy-ins. Anyone else's thoughts on this?

Update #2.2

Played: 25/500
      Bankroll: $77.86 (+ $2.86)
      Cashback/bonuses: €10 + T$11
      FPP: 38.05
    • palante88
      palante88
      Bronze
      What a nice blog <3

Gonna read u with pleasure man. I directly saw u were a belgian guy ;) (Belgian too, I come from Luik) Add you to flist, gonna give u my skype o discuss about this limit, i actually cashout my BR ... Exam but gonna restart after at 1.5 STT TUrbo (new year, new start ;) ) ;)

really GL at table !

(Sorry to say you that, suppose u r supporter of brugges but STANDARD DE LIEGE !!!! )
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      No Limit Holdem Tournament
      PokerStars
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG flvSkill (1,610)
      UTG+1 Rumbaman12 (627)
      CO milescat170 (3,005)
      BTN kerzuko (3,218)
      SB NIVEKii (2,480)
      BB hristo1012 (2,560)

Blinds: 100/200

Pre-Flop: (300, 6 players) NIVEKii is SB A:diamond: K:spade:
      1 fold, Rumbaman12 goes all-in 627, 2 folds, NIVEKii goes all-in 2,480, hristo1012 calls 2,280

Flop: A:club: 8:club: 8:spade: (5,587, 3 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: 2:club: (5,587, 3 players, 2 all-in)

River: 10:spade: (5,587, 3 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: 5,587
      NIVEKii shows
      A:diamond: K:spade:
      hristo1012 shows
      A:heart: A:spade:
      Rumbaman12 shows
      J:spade: K:diamond:

hristo1012 wins 5,587 (net +3,107)

NIVEKii lost 2,480
      Rumbaman12 lost 627

---

It's going to be one of those days :)
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Well, I played 7 sng's with the T$ and I managed to cash in... 0. I'll post some more bust hands, I may have overplayed some hands, but in general the villains just woke up with better hands, nothing to do about that, or is there? Next post will include some hands!

Couldn't help but weigh myself this morning, stupid of course, it's only been two days, but the scale showed 113kg, or 0.4kg less than on Sunday. Standard variance I'm sure, but I never was so happy to see the loss of 400 grams.

Happiness is in the small things after all :)
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      So finally making the schedule, the times I will be posting will the times I will be opening new STTs, so actual playing time will be a bit more.

Wednesday 4/01
      15.00-16.15
      22.00-23.00

Thursday 5/01
      14.30-16.00
      21.00-23.00

Friday 6/01
      14.30-16.30
      (start of the lacrosse season at 19.00! Siked!)

Saturday
      13.00-15.00
      19.00-22.00

My week will be Sunday -> Saturday, so after this one I'll review the first week.

I also seem to postpone posting hands, wake up man, post and discuss is the way to move forward! Surely something I need to work on!

This is a way too cool movie about one of the best games lacrosse has ever seen. In the end Syracuse pulled away with the Championship.

• ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Have you seen the 50,000 push ups thread?

You should get over there and join us help you get back in shape :)

Your lacrosse seasons started today?
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Jup, just got home from the first practice. My knee survived, but I'm going to be sore in the morning for sure! We went to one of the girls homes to eat and drink some, and I managed to eat nothing (the likes of Pringles) and only drink water. I'm pretty proud of myself :)

We only have five practices before the season starts, so we'll need to get back in shape asap!

Pokerwise I haven't played since my last update here in this blog. I'll play tomorrow to get to the 15 hours a week goal, I sure hope I'll get there!

Also, the sweet life of two weeks of vacation is nearing its end. I'll start back on Monday, not really looking forward to it, but hey, something needs to bring in money, as poker won't do for now :D

Off to sleep now, see you guys tomorrow with some more updates!
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      First week of the new year gone (I do Sunday-Saturday as a reference) and pokerwise I have failed quite hard. I didn't play the 15 hours I set for myself, I didn't put in good volume because of the holidays, I didn't come close to breaking even...

Update #3

Played: 46/500
      ITM: 30.4%
      ROI: -34.6%
      Bankroll: $62.10 (- $12.90)
      FPP: 58
      Total hours played: 5.6h

Thanks to the €10 bonus and the fact I played sngs with my T$, my total roll is still +- $75. It's clear though that I'll need to pay more attention to poker, if I ever want to succeed in my goals, that remain unchanged.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Real life went way better. Not only did I stick to my goals like a boss (I only drank water so far this year, and truth be told, I'm not missing the cola etc.), I managed to lose 2kg without doing that much. Still a long way to go, but at least I'm going in the right direction! Scale now gives 111.4kg, it would be way too cool to get it below 109kg when the season starts on February 4.

As said in my previous post, I survived (well, my knee did) the first training and it felt AWESOME. Can't wait until next week for the next one. As we have a lot of students in exams now, we decided to cancel the practices on Monday for the duration of January.

On another downside -we can't end this post too happy now can we-, my Tableninja trial will expire pretty soon, not too sure how to go on from there as I really grew accustomed to using it.

I've been playing League Of Legends quite a lot too, that's the biggest reason I didn't put in the volume I expected.
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Started up a session for the first time in six days (wow, has it really been this long? Found a desire to play poker again, so decided to fire some tables up. Two minutes into the session:

No Limit Holdem Tournament
      PokerStars
      9 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG mfries7996 (1,760)
      UTG+1 Lithosnake (1,280)
      MP1 cooper667 (1,500)
      MP2 duduska18 (1,500)
      MP3 renndidi1959 (1,490)
      CO NIVEKii (1,470)
      BTN kuttesports (1,520)
      SB OneTimFish (1,480)
      BB VasilisTKD (1,500)

Blinds: 10/20

Pre-Flop: (30, 9 players) NIVEKii is CO 8:club: 8:diamond:
      mfries7996 calls 20, 1 fold, cooper667 raises to 95, 2 folds, NIVEKii calls 95, 1 fold, OneTimFish calls 85, 1 fold, mfries7996 calls 75

Flop: A:club: 8:spade: K:spade: (400, 4 players)
      OneTimFish checks, mfries7996 bets 80, cooper667 raises to 420, NIVEKii goes all-in 1,375, OneTimFish folds, mfries7996 folds, cooper667 calls 955

Turn: 2:spade: (3,230, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: A:diamond: (3,230, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: 3,230
      NIVEKii shows
      8:club: 8:diamond:
      cooper667 shows
      K:diamond: A:spade:

cooper667 wins 3,230 (net +1,760)

NIVEKii lost 1,470
      OneTimFish lost 95
      mfries7996 lost 175

---

Meh :( Nothing much I can do there, only like 80/20 for me, but I'm grinding on! You won't get me down Pokerstars! Well, you will, if you bust me :D
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Session had ended! I played 12 sng's (opened them for 60 minutes). I managed to get ITM 41.7% of the time, but here is the catch, they were ALL thirds! This resulted in a -34.2% ROI. This is not the way I imagined 2012 would start pokerwise. The funny thing is, my ITM and ROI have gotten better since update #3!

Update #4
      Played: 58/500
      ITM: 32.8%
      ROI: -34.5%
      Bankroll: $55.95 (- $19.05)
      FPP: 69.40
      Total hours played: 7.1h

Obviously need to turn it around or I'll be broke before February :) . Confident I'll pull through though! Just got to keep on learning.