ADHD and Poker

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      I won't go into the gory details, but I am 34 years old and JUST discovered that I have ADHD. I have always suspected it but I got through school okay so no one paid too much attention. Well, life right now has forced me to come face to face with it.

My question to other players who have ADHD.

How do you seperate a decision that is "yours" between one that is fueled by the ADHD?

I find it so hard, for now, since I am just seeing this really for the first time, to differentiate between the two. I feel like I cannot seperate the two.

Any thoughts from other ADHD players?

ADHD = Attention Defecit Hyperactive Disorder

ADHD
  • 15 replies
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      I don't suffer from it but I would recommend meditation
    • AstaKask
      AstaKask
      Bronze
      I don´t suffer from it either, poker wise.
    • MihaiSavin
      MihaiSavin
      Bronze
      i recommend adderall :) )
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      tl; dr
    • Heave112
      Heave112
      Bronze
      ritaline
    • Agiz19
      Agiz19
      Bronze
      emmm, WHaT !?

focus Neo!!
    • Grindsah
      Grindsah
      Bronze
      Heyh !

I've been diagnosed with ADHD & ADD, which has affected my life in tremendous way.

Theres been so much good from ADHD/ADD disorder, such as being highly creative, having great ability to adapt and learn and so on, but theres also a downside to it all bro !

If you suffer from ADHD, it is expected that you just cannot focus on anything longterm... say in example playing poker more than 30mins to 3hours, and you'll get bored right away... or going to school and giving up at the first year.
      Also sudden raging is typical for people with ADHD, such as beating the shit out of a object nearest to you.
      In my opinion someone with ADHD could also be described as way too sensitive and ambitious person, always giving up or losing focus if something goes wrong.

ADD on the other hand is more like the quiet type, not having energy or interest to do almost anything. people with ADD are pretty much living in their own fantasy world, not being that sad about living a life in the dark.

I'm pretty much talking about myself, and theres so many other stuff related to this disorder... But I might be able to help you out, or anyone with this disorder. My skype is Kartsah, if your in need of some emergency help !

Also remember, ADHD or ADD is a disease if you let it be. It will never go away, but if your strong enough, you can learn to control it bro... and holy fuck I was supposed to write like a 10 words post, so sorry that it turned out this long... This is one of the ADD symptons my friend
    • tofu22
      tofu22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hackbinder

How do you seperate a decision that is "yours" between one that is fueled by the ADHD?

I find it so hard, for now, since I am just seeing this really for the first time, to differentiate between the two. I feel like I cannot seperate the two.

don't really think the first part is that much of a problem, don't think ADHD impairs your mental functioning, it works more on an emotional level. the more work you put into poker and hours at the tables the less mistakes you'll make, same goes for everybody, you learn to divorce your emotions from your play.

poker i think, is the perfect thing for this IMO, i personally don't get as mad as i used to and am much more in control of my emotions, all probably due to poker. the best probably is the interactive element which makes the tuneing out less of a problem and helps with concentration in all aspects of daily life. but it's hard to put in any real volume on a daily basis.

++ it's not a disease, it's a disorder which can be cured, with a lot awareness and a healthy dose of self criticisim... poker really helps with these too, IMO.
    • JohanRember
      JohanRember
      Bronze
      If you don't mind me asking - what lead to the fact that you found out?

Did you simply read the symptoms and agreed that you had it?

I have a friend that falls into all of the symptoms of ADD, but I'm not exactly about to tell him "hey man, I think you have ADD".

I'm curious to find out.

cheers
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      A life situation that I cannot disclose led me to see several mental health professionals...

Also, I always suspected it because of my behaviour patterns.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Asked a friend who has it. Basically it doesnt actually matter to him what fuels the decision, he just reviews after every session extremely in detail, making notes on every correct and incorrect move. Over time the correct moves become more and more automated, making mistakes happen less
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Don't suffer from it personally but know a good few people who do one of which is my brother in law.

He was uncontrolable until he joined the army, now he is like a different person now. I asked him how the army calmed him down and helped with his ADHD he said its simple in the army i have a routine for each day and tasks that i enjoy doing.

And thats it, i don't know if every ADHD sufferer is the same but he had it bad from since he could walk every body wrote him off in his life told him he didnt have a chance at succeeding but he's laughing now. He tells me the army dicapline doesn't make a difference to his adhd its wanting to do his job well that makes him concentrate,

So maybe you could try setting yourself routines, focus on studying poker even more ( i dont know how much you do now) or maybe take up some other hobby you enjoy and is challenging to help your concentration levels and decision making skills.

Hope what i said makes a little sense at least
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      I won't go into the gory details, but I am 34 years old and JUST discovered that I have ADHD. I have always suspected it but I got through school okay so no one paid too much attention. Well, life right now has forced me to come face to face with it.

ADHD
      Psychologists just make up these names to collections of symptoms to make the diagnosis easier, it's not like the "disorder" is a separate entity from you. We all have problems, and if psychologists decided to name each of these problems, we'd all have disorders. You should think about your decisions like you did before you found out the problem you have has a name... When you make a decision, ask yourself if it's an impulsive decision (I assume that's the problem?) or if it's a rational decision. Like esuohdla said, you'll make less and less mistakes as you go... And that's also my experience with everything I learn, and I don't have ADHD.

And since you just found out about that, maybe you could go to a psychologist to make you better?
    • jingjingchui
      jingjingchui
      Basic

ADHD
      Hi, have you consulted a doctor about your ADHD? It might be appropriate to be properly diagnosed and be given the right treatment for your symptoms. Each ADHD sufferer is different from the other, so what works for others might not work for you, I think it's just a matter of trying to figure out the right combination of treatments to help you focus. There are a lot of ADHD resources you can relate with, try [URL=http://www.add-adhd-teen-help.com/add-adhd/effective-add-adhd-resources-for-adhd-treatment.html]this website[/url] for more references. I hope you find the right one for you.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      A life situation that I cannot disclose led me to see several mental health professionals...

Also, I always suspected it because of my behaviour patterns.
      When my grandsons were both diagnosed, we bought a book "The gift of ADHD" which listed many positive aspects of the condition that you can turn to your benefit.

It has been a while since I read it, so I cannot say if any of them might have poker applications.

Here is a link to it (amazon)

When I googled "the gift of adhd" there were a lot of hits besides the book that you might find useful.