Castle93

• Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      homework 1 :)

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I love playing poker, preferably live, but can afford to play a lot online where as live is generally more money and less regular. I like to improve in anything i do. I have the most fun when im playing a great game making very few mistakes and obviously when i get on a heater and make a massive profit. However, id like to do this in the long run and improve my game constantly to become a winning player and move up to the higher limits.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Hmm, i guess my BRM has been a problem in the past, but im getting better. I tend to bluff a fair bit, mainly because i can take them off a hand which often works but i need to get better at picking the right spots and not making ill time bluffs. I think as well i need to improve my understanding of pot odds and not just think mostly about implied odds.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

A tight aggressive style would involve playing few but well selected strong starting handing, and playing these aggressively, raising, 3 betting etc. A tight aggressive player also player position as a massive factor which allows him to widen his range slightly in late position such as the button
  • 4 replies
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      one thing as well, i play shorthanded, i noticed the coaching in on full ring tables, should i still watch all of them?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

one thing as well, i play shorthanded, i noticed the coaching in on full ring tables, should i still watch all of them?

It may teach you something still. :) It's not only about FR and even FR can teach you something for SH. But of course if you don't want to you ain't forced.

Bankroll-management is a common leak for beginners. They just don't see how important it's actually to follow the BRM. Without following it you could say that you are just gambling with your money. For that reason we really need to find a way how we gonna follow strictly to the BRM and never try to play besides it. Or it will be hard to make you a good poker player. Try to find a way, just force yourself to follow the rule even if it's hard at the beginning.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Don't worry about math, we gonna concentrate on that as well. :)

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Hi coach, this is Homework 2, ive also started playing full ring but may move back to SH when i have improve my CG play, found it alot better since ive never really played much cash before.

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I think the SHC is good for the basics but at higher limits, even as low of NL10 its far too exploitable. It doesnt balence your range, mainly 3 betting, raising ranges etc. so any player with a HUD can see your only 3 betting monsters. This as well as not getting value pre flop makes you easy to play against post flop. Also it doesnt take into account having the initiative or 3bet/4bet bluffing which can be very profitable in some situations. Also there always different lines we can take. For example, i could raise UTG with AA, or attempt to limp/3bet on an aggresive table.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Hand evaluation

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% AdKh
      MP3 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

SH is pretty difficult at it may be pretty hard for you at the first place. :) But it's definitely more fun if you like more action.

The comments what you wrote about SHC is totally fine but what I didn't like at all is that even on an aggressive table I wouldn't limp AA. :D Just raise them and you will get 3bet anyways from agro players.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far.