[NL2-NL10] NL4; HU: ATo - 3bet or call?

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 2 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $5.21 (130.3 bb)
      SB: $3.58 (89.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T A
      SB raises to $0.16, Hero raises to $0.52, SB calls $0.36

Flop: ($1.04) 8 9 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets $1.04, Hero folds

Results: $1.04 pot ($0.06 rake)
      Final Board: 8 9 5
      Hero mucked T A and lost (-$0.52 net)
      SB mucked and won $0.98 ($0.46 net)

Opponent's stats: VP/PFR/Foldto3bet/FoldtoFlopCbet3betpot/WTSD/hands
      77/41/20(5)/0(1)/9/88

When I 3bet here, I'm doing it for value. Does it make sense though, as I mostly have to check/fold it on the flop once I miss. I doubt I can Cbet wildly on the flop against this opponent. Perhaps it would have simply been better to call preflop.
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Those hands don't 3bet, why do you want to play them OOP and in big pot? How you gonna win the pot? Only when you hit then CB?

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      What is the difference between ATo and, say, AJo-AKo if our opponent calls our 3bets often? I mean, we hit almost just as often with ATo as we do with AKo and since we can't really CBet too often without a hit against this guy, according to what you said in your last post, even AK shouldn't be 3betted.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      What is the difference between ATo and, say, AJo-AKo if our opponent calls our 3bets often? I mean, we hit almost just as often with ATo as we do with AKo and since we can't really CBet too often without a hit against this guy, according to what you said in your last post, even AK shouldn't be 3betted.
      AT is more often dominated than hand like AK. AK may see AJ/AQ/AT, but AT just sees few combos which Call your 3bet. Some people ain't even calling with worse Ax hands.
      Bronze
      AT is more often dominated than hand like AK. AK may see AJ/AQ/AT, but AT just sees few combos which Call your 3bet. Some people ain't even calling with worse Ax hands.

In general it is true, of course. But this particular opponent seems to be the type who calls 3bets often (even despite the small sample size, I would say) so I can easily imagine him calling not only with worse Ax hands, but even with mediocre broadways or, who knows, SCs even. Against this kind of an opponent the difference between AT and AJ+ doesn't seem to be that big.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Obviously he is playing with all those hands but the question is why should we play in big pot with just our ATo and being OOP? Might be much better to play it in small pot. ATo is strong enough to play just in Call pot as well, we will rarely even have much fold equity against such opponents in 3bet pot anyways.
      Bronze
      Ok, will try not to overplay this hand in future :) thanks!