This is my blog. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

• trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      First.

I anticipate a flood of New Year blogs, each full of good intentions.

My intention is to be less of of a poker wraith and be more involved in the PS community.

I did post a few hands last year - then I stopped.

I have never blogged before.

I don't know how to upload a graph or other tracker stuff. How do you do that? Can someone advise please? Do photos have to go to another site and be uploaded from there?

I am 44 and started playing when I was 40. At first only a few MTTs and S&Gs, but I quickly became totally hooked/addicted/obsessed and it only gets worse. I have to succeed at this - failure is not an option.
      A couple of years ago I started playing cash. Last year I had a pretty good year. I ground out a couple of thousand dollars profit at the micros. I beat 10NL on Absolute, playing 6max and some HU. I beat 25NL, on Full Tilt, playing 9 max Rush . I beat 40Nl on Unibet, playing 6 max (euro). I moved from Absolute to FT and got most of my bucks out before Black Friday. I dislike Unibet's Anonymous tables - easy to beat but annoying to play and I felt my game wasn't developing - so stopped playing there

I am currently playing on 24h thorough PS at 20NL, (euro).

I am not very good at bankroll management!

My goals for the 2012:

1 - Get out of the micros. I want to be rolled and successful at 100NL.

2 - Stop tiliting. My tilt control is worse than my BR management!

3 - Regularly play live. And show a profit.

All my thoughts and details of how to achieve the above I will post as I go along.

I will post more about me and my life as this develops.

At 6max I play 22/17, 3b at 6 and AF of 3.
      I have 700 euros in 24h. I have about 5k hands in there and a profit of about 120 euros - but have been playing like a total arse in last few days (dropped from about 200 euro profit). Mainly due to the tilt monkey shafting me good and hard. I am his bitch!

I am quite an outgoing person, but quite introverted within the internet communities. My intention is to be more involved.

TY for reading.

This is my blog. There are many like it, but this one is mine ...
  • 505 replies
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      You sound like me. Good luck, and keep posting.

I upload images using http://imageshack.us/
    • summermonkey
      summermonkey
      Bronze
      Your blog title got me in here! Where did the quote come from?

And good luck with your grind!
    • iFortunatus
      iFortunatus
      Bronze
      haha superb title, full metal jacket quote? i'll be following best of luck im always letting tilt get the best of me also!
    • Buhas
      Buhas
      Bronze
      nice blog.. gl on your jouney!
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      Full metal jacket.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine! nice movie nice blog title. :D
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Thanks all for the words of encouragement.

I did upload a few pics on 2+2 a little while ago using Image Shack - I was just hoping there was something a little less time consuming on PS - but thanks Jb for taking time to advise.

So since posting yesterday I have been thinking, and the think that I have thunk is this - how do I cope with the variance I have in my game. And I'm not talking about the card variance, like getting two or five outtered for what seems like the tenth time in succession. I'm talking about my variance, my poker inconsistency. So in no particular order, here is a list of things I suck at when playing:

Playing Badly

This is a very obvious one, but it amazing how often I do this. I play a good solid game for many days, grinding up the profits and then have one session where I play like a complete doofus and wham bang thank you mam, a weeks worth of grind has resulted in a graph that looks like something you could ski down.
      But the worst thing is I know I'm playing badly. It's almost like an out of body experience/slow motion car crash (overly dramatic :rolleyes: )
      I sit at the computer with my stomach in my boots (metaphorically, obviously) and my brain numbing to a point where I transcend into the poker zombie moron state of lower consciousness, unable to make one good decision. This is a tilt free phenom.
      Of course, what I need to do is decide to quit quickly - or perhaps not even to start playing at all.

Running Badly

There are times when I play well and run bad and I'm okay with it.
      There are other times, many more other times, when I play well and run bad, get shafted by the tilit monkey, and then play bad.
      Tilt play bad is different to zombie moron play bad.
      But neither's good for the graph.

Quantity Over Quality

A number of issues here, such as:
      Playing too many tables, which leads me to ignore the HUD and the opponents.
      Playing for too long.
      Playing too often.

I have a busy life outside of poker - trying to play 30k hands a week isn't good for my game.
      I read a year or two ago that high hand volume helps level out card variance and aids with analysing your game (another weak spot of mine); but, having done this for much of 2011, I now feel this is a mistake. In 2012 I am going to play only as many tables as I am able to focus properly on - four at the moment - and only play sessions for as long as I feel on top of my game.

I Think I'm on TV Plays

These are the "over think" situations.

Trying to bluff Calling Stations off of third pair.
      5bet shoving pre flop from the BB with KQ in a steal vs blind battle against guys with 50% steal from BTN, but a 4bet % of 1.
      Calling big pot size river bets with A high on busted draw boards.
      And so many more... :f_cry:

Ty for reading.

Here's another favourite film quote (again from my era):

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      30k hands a week?? Do I deduce that your house is not stuffed full of annoying children?
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      30k hands a week?? Do I deduce that your house is not stuffed full of annoying children?
      30k hands a week was when Rush was with us. R.I.P :s_cry:

I really dislike Howard Lederer and Chris Ferguson for the FT shenanigans, but I do miss FT.
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      The Man: What's his name?
      Organ Grinder: Tricky Bob.

The non poker stuff

I manage a nursing home that looks after people with dementia. I am a psychiatric nurse and have been since 1993. For many years after qualifying, I worked in acute psychiatry, often working in secure environments. I never really enjoyed that work. For the last seven years I have been working in, and then managing, nursing homes that look after people with dementia. Private care dementia is a tough gig and a constant challenge, but I love it.

When I was young, I spent three years in the army. I enjoyed that too. I was in training when Full Metal Jacket was released. We had been confined to camp in Aldershot for the first six weeks of basic training and on our first leave a few of us went and watched FMJ. It became very quotable. :f_biggrin:

I have a girlfriend. We've been together for three or four years. She's very understanding of my obsessive/anal/self torturing tendencies and I'm very understanding of her loud/needy/always speaking in sub text tendencies. :f_love:
      (she's following my blog and is going to bitch slap me when she reads this bit - but hey, you've got spend some time on the edge :f_eek: )

I live in Cornwall. I have lived here for the last three years. I live right down in the West and I could never live anywhere else.

I have a 14 year old daughter. Myself and her mum split up about 12 years ago - her mum is from Cornwall and after many twists and turns of life I have finally got down here. My daughter surfs and plays county cricket. I paddle about in the water on a board and occasionally fluke a wave or two. I have a hat I wear for watching her playing cricket (I seriously love being middle aged!) and shout advice from my fold up chair.

I have lived in Essex, London, Wales, Bath, Oxford and various parts of Wiltshire. In my 44 years I have lived in over 30 different house in many parts of the country. I have been restless all my life, with people, places and jobs. But now I am where I want to be.

Apart from poker I am into film (expect an endless stream of glib quotes); modern comics; some edgy American literature form the 30s - 70s; a lot of comedy - most of it from the BBC - and turn based RPGs like Civilisation and HOMM (at my age!! :f_biggrin: ). My CD changer in the car has Wu Tang Clan, Patti Smith, Muse, Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen and Blondie - another sign of being middle aged is having a CD changer that is a smorgasbord of sound spanning many decades.

We have two cats and some fish.

Ty for reading and have a tip top New Year.
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Just trying to work this signature thing out ... any advice anyone?

And can someone take the time to explain how to load up graphs from HEM.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by trickybob
      Just trying to work this signature thing out ... any advice anyone?

And can someone take the time to explain how to load up graphs from HEM.
      At the top of this page - Your Profile -> Edit Signature. Write it in there, and if you want to have a link to your blog, go to 'Options' and make sure BBCode is enabled.

To get HEM graphs, save them on your PC, then upload them with Imageshack or something like it.
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Thanks Jb.
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      I have the signature, but not the link.

It's like watching a monkey eating a hand grenade.

Going to give up on that one for now and return to it later. I have a real cognitive blind spot for these things.

Will try to post a graph.

Fingers crossed.

Posts about battling, and losing, to the vagaries of how computers function are inane.

Not exactly the pithy, cutting edge journal of my poker exploits I had in mind.

Still, nil desperandum.
    • bazerk
      bazerk
      Bronze
      To put a link in your sig, highlight what you want the link to say, then click the 'lil pic of the world with a chain thingee. Follow instructions from there.
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze

Only 6k hands at 20NL (euro).

In early Decemebr I cashed out to buy a new computer. This left me with 600 euros and I went back to 24h. Played there from 15th December.

The graph is a little generous as on 24h I am about 25 euros less in winnings.

I would review the month as I played well and ran decent at the start and end, but butchered many hands on the plateau toward the end. I had a typical, run bad, play bad, play worse, and then just gift my money to the masses period.

Short sample though.

Will post graphs monthly.
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Ty bazerk.

Will give that a go once I have worked out how to get this picture sorted.
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      HELP!!

I still can't do the link signature thing. I got to the http// - but what do I put in there?

HELP!!

I have obviously malfunctioned the upload of my graph. My guess is that I haven't uploaded it in the right format, hence the little window sign. I used ImageShack and it as it should be there. I copy/pasted the link into the http// - but it hasn't worked. Any advice?

I feel like a total dinosaur :f_cry:
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by trickybob
      HELP!!

I still can't do the link signature thing. I got to the http// - but what do I put in there?

HELP!!

I have obviously malfunctioned the upload of my graph. My guess is that I haven't uploaded it in the right format, hence the little window sign. I used ImageShack and it as it should be there. I copy/pasted the link into the http// - but it hasn't worked. Any advice?

I feel like a total dinosaur :f_cry:
      There are lots of links listed when you upload to ImageShack. You need to choose the one that says 'Direct Link'.

Put

*http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=165345*

(without the * at beginning and end) as the link in your signature.

And yes, you are a total dinosaur. :s_evil:
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      There are lots of links listed when you upload to ImageShack. You need to choose the one that says 'Direct Link'. Put *http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/threa...hreadid=165345* (without the * at beginning and end) as the link in your signature. And yes, you are a total dinosaur.

Sir, I salute you.

Ty for taking the time and sharing the knowledge.