HU PLO - Number of BIs

• JonikoP
      I started playing HU PLO 25 in December. Has a balling starting and made about 15 BIs in about 8k hands. In the last couple of days I've lost 10 BIs - a combination of running bad, playing bad and eventually tilting a bit.

I watched one of Twice T's videos where he said good BRM would be to have 100 buy-ins. I also read in one of the cardrunners pro's blogs that he'd had a 60 (!) BI downswing in one day playing HU PLO.

I assumed that at the lowest limits the edge would be big enough for a more aggressive approach to BRM and that although 100 BI swings are possible but they are the outlying results. Is that me just completely misunderstanding just how swingy this game is? Reloading is fine for me so I'm not too concerned about losing but it would be good to understand what to expect (as much for my sanity as anything!).

Also, can anyone recommend any guides to "standard adjustments" for HU PLO, although clearly this is going to be very player dependent.

A big part of my downswing has come against a guy who 3-bet 40% and hardly ever folded post-flop (and regularly barreled off 3 streets). I started min-raise calling a lot of buttons with a tighter range and stacking off lighter but ended up with a lot of spots in 3-bet pots with dry 2 pair type hands that were regularly crushed or outdrawn.

• 2 replies
    • Ribbo
      One of the reasons for having at least 100 buyins is that it protects you a little from tilt. Having say 40 buyins and going on a 10 buyin downswing can affect you quite a lot when you realise you've lost a quarter of your stack.
    • Kyyberi
      What Ribbo said. Mathematical minimum bin's isn't good enough in plo, as you can lose a lot in short period of time. And most of us are affected by that.

The amount of expected swings depends on your playing style and your opponents playing styles. You can make assumptions with variance simulator. But you have to understand that there area mathematical requirements for bankroll, and there are psychological requirements.